Buzz Anderson ?

Talk about Coon Hunting
Jimmy Lee
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Buzz Anderson ?

Postby Jimmy Lee » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:31 am

I like a tighter eye but you will have that on some of the bigger blues.by the way Guy knows a lot about hound history so does Rex Bowers.they don't sugar coat it.a good book to start out with is American trail hounds by fred streever.
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby JTG » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:07 am

macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:09 am

Down in the southeast most all hunting dogs ran loose till up in the 60s. Most every body was too busy working and didn't pay any attention to their dogs till they saw their female start showing sign of ( finding puppies) and that was a little to late for selective breeding. The female dug under the smoke house when it was time ( to find puppies) and a few weeks later the pups started finding their way to the outside. The ones that looked like old rattlerwere accepted as good enough to keep . Actually there is no telling what all is mixed in these dogs. I think they are all canine.
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby JTG » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:12 pm

pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:51 pm

Jimmy Lee
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Jimmy Lee » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:09 pm

The July breed were Irish hounds and the basic color at the time was Merle and brindle and the light or white eye came from the Irish.fox hound breeders kept very good records and they didn't breed for color.all fox hound breeds are related most tree hounds have English and Irish hounds in their back ground even plotts and curs.
Jimmy Lee
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Jimmy Lee » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:11 pm

The name July came from a hound by the name of old july
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:12 pm

The walker,July, Trigg, goodman were the only running dogs that fox hunters had in the north part of Mississippi where I grew up. The walkers were mostly saddle back b/t/w ring neck a few open spotted. The triggs were about the same color but ran a little smaller than the walker. The July were a bright red or nearly orange saddle back or spotted, solid orange to light yellow with ring neck and white points. They had flag tails with a little hair on back side of front and back legs, a little long hair on stomach. Goodany were a lot lighter color with some calico head and ear. I do remember seeing a little blue/grey bridling on some. I don't ever remember seeing a dark brindle running dog of any kind back then. Any ideas?
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby JTG » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:50 pm

The famous Trigg hounds of Kentucky descended from the Irish hounds in the following manner:

In 1860, Haiden C. Trigg, an enthusiastic hound breeder (whose sporting nom de plume was ( “ Full Cry”), began acquiring hounds from George L. F. Birdsong, of Georgia. Among these hounds were several by Mr. Birdsong’s famous Longstreet (1860), descendant in the sixth generation from Dr. Henry’s Captain (1838) on the sire’s side, and in the fifth generation from the same dog on the dam’s side. Longstreet’s pedigree shows five crosses of Captain.

The Birdsong, or July, hounds of Georgia were derived from the descendants of the Irish hounds of Dr. Henry, and a dog named July obtained from one Gosnell, of Maryland, in 1861, and imported to Georgia by Miles G. Harris. Mr. Trigg indicated that Mr. Birdsong was satisfied that July traced back to Captain (1838) and the original Henry Irish hounds. (1928, Joseph B. Thomas)

July was name after the month of July, because in Georgia it was very hot in July and the hound July, could handle the hot summers with ease.

By the way, a brother x sister cross.
T.R.
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby T.R. » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:27 pm

I hunted a few dogs from Buzz several years ago i had one that was really gritty and one wasnt on coon. How is there gritt on bear and lion? Do yall find them to be good on the rig?
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:01 pm

Some of them are gritty enough also some of them will rig but are not the best rig dogs i've seen,on bobcat anyway.Tracking and treeing are their strong points.
T.R.
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby T.R. » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:02 am

Anybody talked to Buzz lately?
Liz ODell
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Liz ODell » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:33 pm

I rarely look at the coon hunting column but glad I found this.
I have 3 littermates from a Buzz cross and they do a good job for me, I hunt cat, bear, coon and lion with them and they are good cat dogs on dry ground as well as good cat strike dogs off the box. They are the best cat dogs I have had so far and I used to think I had good ones years ago.
I've always suspected there was a little something different back there in the woodpile, hunting with friends running dogs/crosses the only legitimate difference you see is coat color lol.
Anyway I was curious others asked, is Buzz still still breeding some pups now and then?
I sure would like to get another one for some further crosses in the future.
I'm also still looking for a nice male to breed my female too...needs to be a cat dog and catch on bare ground.

As far as those big houndy dogs being synonymous with southwest dry ground dogs from what I've seen out here I don't think that is true except with certain bloodlines people have kept going, I know several people here that cross GSP into their lion dogs and they look just like tight faced running dogs.
T.R.
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby T.R. » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:28 pm

Anybody have his phone number? Id call and get us all some info.
mudflap
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby mudflap » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:06 pm

I was reading this months full cry and saw that Buzz had a litter of pups for sale.born December 1st
James Rodrigues

Return to “Coon Hunting”