Buzz Anderson ?

Talk about Coon Hunting
mudflap
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Buzz Anderson ?

Postby mudflap » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:39 am

Does anybody know if Buzz Anderson at Duncan,OK. is still in the bluetick business?I have'nt had dogs in a few years so I wasn't sure.
James Rodrigues
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Buzz Anderson ?

Postby 1bludawg » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:28 am

The last i heard he had a heart attack so that might have slowed him down some .I believe he is in his 80's now.
mudflap
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby mudflap » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:45 pm

Thanks.Have you ever hunted with any dogs that came from him?
James Rodrigues
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:06 pm

Yes ,i have . The parents of the great S.R. Diamond Jim came from Buzz s dogs . The Diamond Jim dogs ( some of them ) will catch anything on 4 feet .
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby JTG » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:56 pm

I was at Mr. Anderson house about eight years ago, his wife was sick and he was taking care of her. He took me to his son's house to look at there horses and he had a nice mule that he trained at his house. He had three litters of pups on the ground and when I was talking with Buzz one of the pups kept following me around pulling on my pant leg, so I picked her. He thought I should pick another because of her color, which was mostly black, but I chose her anyway. She was a natural coon dog and was very fast with a nice tenor bawl and easy to get along with. I found Mr. Anderson to be a fine man.
T.R.
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby T.R. » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:38 am

He was still going a few years ago. I meet him a time or 2 real nice guy he dont live 30 miles down the road from me.
mudflap
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby mudflap » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:44 pm

I was hoping he was still selling dogs,maybe get something started or finished.Thanks for the replies.
James Rodrigues
Ed Moore
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Ed Moore » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:48 pm

How did Guy Ormiston, Buck Timin, Buzz Anderson get their hounds bred up to run like they do
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:59 am

If i remember correctly Buzz told me that his dad ran coyote when he was young so he knew a little about running dogs.He(Buzz) said that he bred to ole Mountain Music Blue because he wanted that running ability in his dogs.He said there were things he didn't like about Blue but he sure wanted that track driving trait.
There are running dogs behind the bluetick breed as in most of the other breeds.If you get a chance read some of the articles by Guy Ormiston in "Coonhound Bloodlines " .Better yet read the article by Elbert Vaughn himself on what he bred into his blues and take notice of the Hyde dogs.
Also the mating of Mountain Music Blue and Kepharts Fannie reportally produced some buckskin puppies which possibly,probably came from running dog ancestry (July ).
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby JTG » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:01 pm

Elbert Vaughn had a bluetick looking cow dog running around his place. Mr. Vaughn did not have kennels for all his hounds and he had a bunch. If a bluetick cow dog was crossed with a Bluetick hounds you could breed out the appericance of the cow dog in several generations. Buckskin color can come from a Plott, but should not come from a Bluetick. If the buckskin color pops out, you know the hounds are not pure, same as the blue eye and liver color.
Hounds have brown eyes and hound features, short ears and off color being a good example of something else bred in other than a hound.
Science proves Guy is not correct with his observations in his writings and anyone can write or say anything and no one knows how someone breeds there hounds or what they have bred into at one time or another. My trip to visit Mr. Anderson was in part for this cause.
It's easy to see something other than hounds was bred in if you look at the old pictures.
The hound that I got from Mr. Anderson would hunt good and I am not speaking ill about his hounds.
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:14 pm

John,I understand that the blueeye didn't come from hounds but they were carriers of that trait after it was introduced.
I was referring to the influence of running dogs on the Diamond Jim blood.The way that some of them run a track by swinging wide or skip (drift) on a trail says running dog to me .Also some have the curled tail that could come from running dog .The more these dogs are line bred the more those traits show up .
I always appreciate your thoughts on these subjects.
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby JTG » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:09 pm

Yes, I am not arguing that running dogs were used. What I am saying is because someone writes a book or anything else, it may or may not be true. Much of what many houndsman been hearing for many years and worse repeating for many years cannot be true.
If you get a chance read the book, Hounds and Hunting, through the ages written in 1928. There is a picture on page 31 of hounds killing a lion on the ground in Texas in 1880, look at those hounds. On page 55 he speaks of the Trigg strains and Walker Hounds that came from English crosses and Black and Tan's going back to 1842.
The truth is we really do not know what someone did or did not do 50 years or more ago. When you breed very tight, clues show up. but still we do not really know.
As time moves forward, things should improve and I feel many houndsmans have been stuck in the past.
Many people have asked me about hounds in the background of mine and the truth is I really do not know because, I am more concern about what they can do right now.
I have lots of respect for you Bluedog.
Jimmy Lee
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Jimmy Lee » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:10 pm

The buckskin comes from the July's most tree hounds have running hound in them I spend years studying hound history it's not what you think.
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:17 pm

I'll buy that book if i can find it .I always enjoy reading historical stories on hounds .Quite often we get some clues about what was bred into those old hounds of the past .Blood hounds ,running dogs ,birddogs ,airedales "etc".
When i wrote stories for the magazines i talked to a lot of houndsmen around the country .It's amazing what you can find out by talking to different people .One man told me that a breeder of black&tans had bred Labrador into his dogs to make them better swim dogs .DNA profiling should stop those things from happening in the future .
I would agree that we need to move forward and try to improve what we already have .
It's to bad we live so far apart John .I would love to see your blue dogs fire up on a cat track .Do you take many pictures of them ?
Robin
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:37 pm

Jimmy Lee, or any one else that might know: I noticed in one of the photos Jimmy recently posted a big blue whose bottom eyelids stand out away from the eyeball. Is this a bloodhound trait? Is it accepted by breed standards? I have seen this trait in other places and would like to know where it comes from and if it is acceptable in those circles; and if it is associated with very cold nosed high desert dogs.

Return to “Coon Hunting”