More Den Trees?

Talk about Coon Hunting
huntinwyo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

More Den Trees?

Postby huntinwyo » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:14 pm

Where I live its been a record Oct. For heat and we haven't had any significant rain in months it seems. During this time frame I have noticed more tracks ending at den trees. I would think the dogs would have to be right behind a coon to smell it in these conditions but its been the opposite it seems? The tracks seem to be longer as well? Although I notice its been taking longer to figure out which I would think make sense. I guess maybe ol ringtail has more time to make it home with these hot nosed boo hooers I'm huntin!
ethertonee
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: More Den Trees?

Postby ethertonee » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:40 am

Yep ended up at a lot of den trees the last moth. Got some moisture and caught 2 on the ground last night we hadn't done that sine July. They had a couple more on the ground for a bit but they got into trees as it was real thick and they were both fighting different coons at the same time more then once. I was going out a bit latter when it is dry, once it cools down and if you get any dew on the ground it seems to help. It was dry though. I guess we get a better education of what it must be like to hunt in the desert. Since we had such a wet spring there is a lot of cover as well so that seems to be slowing us down to put pressure on them once they get close. Hope this snow packed it down a little.
Ronnie H
Facebook ID: 0

Re: More Den Trees?

Postby Ronnie H » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:54 am

It's starting to get colder here in north east Texas and the coons are looking for a den tree.And they are running hard.

Return to “Coon Hunting”