Re: anyone in eastern mt or western nd

Postby black_and_tan_hunter » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:32 pm

i am in wibaux mt
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:07 pm

I can speak for northwest North Dakota. There is really good traditional coon habitat along the Yellowstone and Missouri rivers. I see you are not too far from the Yellowstone. There is a lot of public land around the confluence area.

I thought coon were scarce in other areas until I decided to let a good bobcat rig dog fool with coon. Come to find out they are any where and everywhere; Even when there is not one single tree or stream in that area. There are not large numbers, but it seems every square mile is going to have some visible or not-visible feature like an old half buried auto, abandoned farm equipment, old building, badger network, rock pile, spring/cattail pond, hay stack, farm stead, or something that can keep a coon or two alive. Honestly I was shocked at the frequency of coon throughout NW North Dakota once I applied a very cold nosed strike dog.

Most of my area was private ranches, but I found some ranchers warm, and none of them like having racoon on their place. They don't always know they have them unless they are raiding the cat food or spoiling the hay. Most ranches have a coon or two around if they know it or not.
black_and_tan_hunter
Facebook ID: 0

Postby black_and_tan_hunter » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:33 pm

thanks i dont have many left around my place so was wondering if anyone new of some good places to goo
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:56 pm

If you want to take a little trip for a couple days, there is plenty of public land around the confluence of the Yellowstone and Missouri and downstream to the head of Sakakawea; and parts of the Little Missouri. Plan on getting checked though, because it is close to Williston. You will not run out of places to hunt, and especially if you hunt from a boat. This is a good area for this style of hunting with it's rivers and ox-bows.
black_and_tan_hunter

Postby black_and_tan_hunter » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:30 pm

thanks i might try that
Pagosa
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Pagosa » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:08 am

Does North Dakota require a hunting license to coon hunting there? I will be working periodically from north of Sidney, Mt to Eklaka, Mt and I'm planning to bring one dog with me. I mainly planning on staying in eastern Montana but was interested to know if there was more public land in ND. Thanks
twilli
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby twilli » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:21 pm

Give me a call when it warms up and we can go run some coons around Miles City or Billings area . I’ll be working in Glendive so maybe we can hook up and discuss.

Tom 406-839-1016
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:42 pm

anywhere along Beaver Creek that you can get permission is good. Also south of Beach towards Golva and Ollie netted me a lot of fur back in the day. Stock ponds and slough areas will all have coons moving thru them. The rut is over now and sows will be feeding in a much more limited area closer to grain silos and abandoned farms places. Boars who were making big runs on the warmer nights over the last month or sow will be slowing down too.

An interesting not that during the peak of the coon rut you can find big boars traveling at times miles from much water just going from one area to another seeking females. I have found them down in this rocky canyon areas where you think you might only find a lion or bobcat track and your dogs come up with a big old bruiser of a coon.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Pagosa
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Pagosa » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:21 am

I have been hunting over in eastern Montana during the late winter and spring months for the past couple years. There is lots of coons, and some big ones. They seem to run into holes, haystacks, culverts, or the dogs will ground catch them. I do not hunt froze over waterbodies or large open water, bc it’s a bad way to get a dog killed. Good luck, Preston
houndsound

Postby houndsound » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:28 pm

Not real close, but I coon hunt regularly in Sheridan, WY area if any of you guys ever want to drop hounds at night.
North Ga Plott

Postby North Ga Plott » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:08 pm

Are you still living in Wibaux? I've lived here about a year and I have 2 hounds I coon hunt and bobcat hunt with. I'm originally from the mountains in GA so I'm still trying to get accustomed to everything here.

Return to “Coon Hunting”