First Aid Kits

Talk about Coon Hunting
charlie_merrifield
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

First Aid Kits

Postby charlie_merrifield » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:07 pm

what does everyone have in their first aid kit for their dogs? Or what pre made one do you use?
twilli
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: First Aid Kits

Postby twilli » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:53 am

Gauze, liquid glue, suture kit, Bag of normal saline, IV start kit. Pliers to pull out quils, eye patch, muzzle. coban tape, abd dressing
charlie_merrifield
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby charlie_merrifield » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:06 am

i have heard a lot about iv kit. Id be terrified to try and start and iv
twilli
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby twilli » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:34 am

Starting an IV is easy on a dog. Put the needle under the skin and let the fluid flow in. It will absorb subcutaneously. Starting a peripheral IV or an IV in the vein is something left to the veterinarian or vet tech. Im sure your vet would show you how to administer fluids subcutaneously which is just under the skin. When the fluid builds up under the skin you just reposition the needle to another spot on the back and the fluids will be reabsorbed over time.
Emily
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Emily » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:11 pm

I keep one first aid kit for both the dogs and me. It's got vet wrap, the long kind of ace bandage to wrap sprained ankles and wrists, a few acepromazine pills in case I have to pull quills or whatever reason, some aspirin, hydrogen peroxide, iodine, blue kote, an assortment of band aids, a swiss army knife, benadryl, Dermasol, toenail clippers for dogs that twist a nail on rough ground, a pint of water, triple antibiotic cream. I'm not up to surgery myself, so I don't carry sutures, just enough bandage to slow the bleeding until I can get to a vet. I do carry pliers for pulling quills. I keep an extra leash and a muzzle with the kit. A full change of clothes for myself. I use the quill pulling stuff frequently. I've had a few dogs get stung by bees and the benadryl helped. Also has helped a couple of kids hunting with me that developed allergies from fields full of ragweed. I've needed to wrap my own knee when I twisted it. I've disinfected a number of scrapes and cuts that probably could have waited until I got home. The water has proved very useful for washing cuts and scrapes and rinsing eyes that got stuff in them. I usually keep a gallon of clean water in the truck for dogs and people to drink, but the pint in the first aid kit is reserved for emergencies.
esp
houndawg100

Postby houndawg100 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:11 am

Staple gun. That's it.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:28 am

Blue cote and staple gun. Anything else can wait till I get home.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
Fireman03
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Fireman03 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:37 pm

I learned a good trick once while hunting with a vet. And it would work especially for the guys hunting in warmer climates. We had a dog over heat and started having seizures. He carried rubbing alcohol. I think it was the preduluted stuff and he poured it on the dogs back and the paws. With the wind it helped bring the dogs core temp down and it came around fairly quickly.
PinkTicks

Postby PinkTicks » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Dexamethasone & Benadryl. 3ml syringes

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Return to “Coon Hunting”