Getting started on coon hunting

Talk about Coon Hunting
Coonslayer101
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Getting started on coon hunting

Postby Coonslayer101 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Not sure how I'm being a knucklehead I am the only one who has gave him any good advice! Y'all are just blowing smoke filling his heads making him think he ever be a coon Hunter. I am being honest there is nobody in his area running coon that is red flag #1. #2 the people with hounds around him told him not to run coon don't waste his time sure they know him better that any of you. #3 he has no experience with hounds or coon hunting pulled a dumb move buy buying two young hounds thinking he can make them into something that will never happen. And lastly just because you buy a hound doesn't make you a hound Hunter houndsmen and how it gives true houndsmen like myself​a bad name is he will be running all over gods country not knowing what he's doing with hounds that don't know what they are doing running crazy. He should not waste his time and another thing dragging his kid along why to show her what not to do so when she grows up she too might think she can have hounds what a JOKE!
raisinriver
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby raisinriver » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:16 pm

mike gagne
raisinriver redbones
martintown ontario
canada (613)528-7556
k_canterbury
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby k_canterbury » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Coonslayer im not sure what I have done to upset you. I am not claiming to be a houndsmen or anywhere close, all I am wanting to do is spend a little time outdoors with my daughter. I'm sure you have great dogs and are very good at running coons and if you are ever around I would love to leave my dogs at home and join you and see how it's done. I apologize if you think I am giving you and all the other great houndsmen on here a bad name that is in no way what I'm trying to do. And at 30years old I know I'm way behind the 8ball but am trying to learn and pick up some tips from people like you and everyone else who has taken the time to comment on this post and try to help. Also coonslayer I want to thank you for your time to comment and give your opinion I do appreciate. If nothing else you are giving me that little extra motivation to get out more so one day I can thank all these great people in here as I post a pic of my dogs with a coon in the tree.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Coonslayer101
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Coonslayer101 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:24 pm

30 and starting yep added another point to give up sorry your too late this sport is not for you
k_canterbury
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: RE: Re: Getting started on coon hunting

Postby k_canterbury » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:50 pm

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:00 pm

K_Canterbury, you might be the most patient person I have ever witnessed. Now you have me really curious about who you are and what you do. I am guessing you are a professional who works with developmentally delayed adults every day.

I am not sure who coonslayer101 is, but he has three posts here on BGH under that name and all three are here on your thread. You must feel honored that he would sign up on BGH just to help you out. It's a beautiful thing.

Blessings, and keep us posted on how it is going. We can't wait for that picture of your little girls' first coon.
cfanno01
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby cfanno01 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:19 pm

if you have access to farms with plenty of coons i wouldnt worry bout the nay-sayers. you will probably be successful if you keep at it. let me say that i am not a coon hunter, i run yote and bobcat but the same basic principles apply i believe. How young are these dogs? I wouldnt expect much from them, especially without the help of an experienced dog, until they are at least a year old. also, if you trap a coon, get it nice and wet with a hose so that its leaving behind more scent, and let it go, preferably somewhere open so it doesnt climb a tree 10 ft away. Put the cage away, go get the dogs and just walk out to where the coon was and try to get them to trail it. Dont overdo it. Personally I would keep both dogs, just hunt them 1 at a time until one of them gets it. Just go out to where the coons are and let the dog out time after time. eventually something should happen.

I started green at 25 with no help other than advice from this forum also. My first hound I bought as a pup and started her green. Its hard but very do-able and very rewarding. this hound is now 5 yrs old and jumped, caught, and held 3 coyote by herself this winter. she is the dog that my other 2 learned from and now they are also running well. once you get the first one going it will fall into place. Good luck and have fun
k_canterbury
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby k_canterbury » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:36 pm

David, thank you I'm sure coonslayer is a very knowledgeable individual and if I have the opportunity to ever sit and talk with him I'm sure I can learn alot I like to give individuals the benefit of the doubt. If he signed up just to post on this good or bad he is keeping it at the top so others can see it and help me out so he is still helping alot and I appreciate him for that.

Cfanno01 that is good to hear someone else has gone down the path I have chosen with starting with this forum and had success. Congrats sounds like you picked it up good. The dogs are 9 going on 10 months I have spent the last 5-6 on obedience with them they are going to be good dogs even if they don't catch a coon. They are at the point my daughter can get them to sit stay lay and heel for her she even walks them around the house on a lease so now it's training time for coon. I appreciate your advice and congrats again on your hound sounds like she is a good one

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
cfanno01
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby cfanno01 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Mine all are obedience trained also and handle like house pet because thats what they are, but they are hunting dogs first. The one thing I would do if (you are not already) is take them on long walks in the country and allow them to roam out away from you without being corrected. Strap the garmin collars on and if they take off let them go. I had an issue with my second hound staying too close and it probably set her back a year. she is doing great now, but it was frustrating at the time and completely avoidable on my part.
k_canterbury
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby k_canterbury » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:45 pm

Coonslayer101
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Coonslayer101 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:27 am

Yep looks like he couldn't catch a coon even with tracks like I said this ain't for everyone he should just quit now and move on
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Wow! I think knucklehead is a understatement! Don't take kids hunting? Why so some complete jackass in Idaho can feel superior to a new guy trying to train a few dogs for his own enjoyment? I'm no coon hunter but I have got my dogs to the point that when I take them out I catch one or two a night...just for something to do with my 8 year old son. Started with no older dog to run with takes a little longer but it's worth the wait when they figure it out. Keep at it and don't let one jerk ruin your opinion of houndsman in general.
k_canterbury
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby k_canterbury » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Coonslayer101
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Coonslayer101 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:29 pm

Sounds like you didn't do much hunting rather walking a hound in the woods claiming to be a hunter. Just because you own a hound and can take him in the woods does not make you a coon hunter
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:47 pm

Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S

Return to “Coon Hunting”