Getting started on coon hunting

Talk about Coon Hunting
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Getting started on coon hunting

Postby Bon Plott » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:16 pm

Just because you call yourself coons layer, doesn't make you some leading authority. Your posts lead everyone who reads them to call you something else.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:28 am

Dumbass!!!????
Coonslayer101
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Coonslayer101 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:34 am

I'm the only one being honest to the guy you all are filling his head with fairytale thoughts building him up making him think just because he has a hound he can be a good coon hunter. I bet he was driving around one day seen an ad for hounds for sale bought two non proven worthless line hounds for $50.00 thinking it looked cool to show off to his kid and telling everyone he's a coon hunter and this awesome houndsmen. And you are all just blowing smoke making him think its easy and he can do it he has no clue and doesn't need to ruin hounds and give the sport a bad name! Don't get mad because I'm saying what everyone else is scared to admit!! Read the post people around him told him not to waste his time on coon and he's stubborn and still going at it nobody around him is running coons and thus is not getting through to him or any of you he even posted it. Come on wake up he should just get heeler so he can walk around with a dog and go driving around looking cool seems that is what he's all about the "LOOK" don't ruin it for the true coon hunters and houndsmen out here.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:39 am

Folks this fella is giving everyone on this site a up close look at what happens if you line bred to closely in humans...
k_canterbury
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby k_canterbury » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:47 am

I just wanted to thank everyone for there help but I didn't expect the post to take this turn thank you guys for your help but I just ask that nobody lower to coonslayers I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt not sure what I done or said on here to offend him or make him feel like I'm doing something wrong. But I think I will take a break from this post for a while thank you to everyone who offered up helpful advice.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Coonslayer101
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Coonslayer101 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:59 am

Tough talk from beebout-it when nobody else has asked him what bloodline of dog he's running or if he looked into the history of the hounds. What makes him want to start the sport you all just let him think its easy and anyone can make a houndsmen and coon hunter and truth is it takes years of blood, sweat and tears to be a houndsmen. Not to mention all the crap dogs (probably like his) you have to go through to get one that is decent. Not everyone will make a good houndsmen and not every hound can run coons someone needs to tell it like it is. He needs to treat his hounds and coon hunting fantasy like the post and take a brake!!
lookinup
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby lookinup » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:14 am

Coonslayer101,
Try something new. Why don't you tell us how you got your start in hounds and maybe some of us starting out or relatively new could learn something. I started a pup and he trees his own coon when we find one at about a year old. It can be done by someone with little experience. And I also live in an area where not many people coon hunt.
raisinriver
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby raisinriver » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:17 pm

Coonslayer101 please tell us about yourself and what makes you such an expert I am very interested in why you want this fellas to give up before he even starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mike gagne
raisinriver redbones
martintown ontario
canada (613)528-7556
Coonslayer101
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Coonslayer101 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:19 pm

Gladly, I stared hunting back probably before most of you were born . I stared hunting with my grandfather and father chasing coons so I learned the right way. My first dog of my own was a finished hound who would not run trash he only ran coon. Learned how to handle the dog and how to properly coon hunt. Ran him for couple years after talking with my father and grandfather and expressed interest in wanting to start my own hound and after looking at several pups from numerous breeders learned history of parents of the pup I wanted decide it had good lines. Started the pup after he was 4 months old by taking him on coon hunts along with my finished hound keeping pup on a leash for first several trips to be able to get him on sent and get to tree to figure out how it's done. After doing this I trapped a live coon to turn it loose in an easy area for the hound not letting the hound see where took the pup out to the track turned him loose had first coon treed in about 250yards. Next night took him out with finished hound turned pup loose on hot track and ran several coons with the pair that pup at 2 yrs old could run and tree several coons in a night in his own. So to start out it's stupid to just buy some random hound with no history on if it's even a hunting breed or not with someone who has no idea how to hunt coon with no help he's never going to make it and should give up on coon sell dogs and if he wants to run hounds get with people around him running bobs get in with them learn from them have them help him on a hound and just run them he will never make a coon hunter let alone a houndsmen.
cfanno01
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby cfanno01 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:21 pm

Opinions are like ass holes, everyone's got one and they all stink. That being said, I will give mine...take it for what its worth. Just because you had a wealth of knowledge handed down to you and finished dogs available doesn't mean it cant be done the way he is doing it. It just takes more determination than the way you were able to start off. If he sticks with it, he'll be fine. At least after a year or 2 he'll know if this is something he wants to pursue further. Worst case scenario he has a couple house dogs for his children to grow up with. Contrary to what I was told before I got dogs, I think hounds make great house dogs. I have 5 in the house and most of the time I don't even notice them. I don't want to get into a pissing contest, I just want k_canterbury to realize what he is doing has been done successfully time and time again. Not easy, but most people have accomplished much more difficult things on their own than learning to tree a few coons. I started completely on my own and still hunt alone 95% of the time. I believe it has made me a better hunter by starting from scratch because you really have to stick with it and you learn by doing not by someone teaching you. I believe people learn much more from failures than successes. Now that I've got my feet wet with hounds, starting dogs has been easy. Mostly because I have a "finished" dog to start them with. I use "finished" in context because I don't think any dog is really "finished". They continue to learn as they gain experience also. Anyway, that "finished" dog is the one I started from scratch with. Still the best dog I have. She taught me much more than I taught her, and we are both still learning. Its so much more rewarding starting on your own. Some guys have the luxury of learning the "right way" as you call it, but I've found there is no right way. Everybody has their own way that works for them. You don't have to have the best dogs or catch the most game to be a "houndsman" either. And just so that this is not misunderstood, I am not calling myself a houndsman. I'll let others determine that. Its easy to call yourself something, doesn't mean its true. I honestly don't see how he is giving houndsmen a bad image. Sounds like he is trying to do it for all the right reasons to me. Spending time in the woods with his kid and dogs, just like you said your grandfather and father did with you.
Coonslayer101
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Coonslayer101 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Then he should just do as yourself and have house pets. What he is doing he will never be successful sure he might get lucky and tree a coon or two that does not mean he is hunting. He's on here asking for help because nobody around him will help maybe they see he is never going to make it k_canterbury give up the hunting fantasy and just have house dogs and don't claim to be a houndsmen just because you have a hound!
Coonslayer101
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Coonslayer101 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:08 pm

One more thing Mr cfanno01 i do not competition hunt but i will match my newest greenest hound against​ your finished hound any day of the week and twice on Sunday you pick the location and at the end of the night I will show you how a true houndsmen works and should look in the woods. Heck you'd get a free lesson in a good hound. And like I said I'll bring my greenest dog to your best dog!
cfanno01
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby cfanno01 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:23 pm

Sounds like fun. Don't know how this post got to this but I'm always up for running the dogs, i don't even care whose dog is better at what. Ill take all of mine and probably still wouldn't have a chance against an expert such as yourself and your greenest dog. I don't even coon hunt but since I get to choose the location and day Ill do it. I could use a free lesson anyway. Northern MI. Send me a pm when you hit Michigan and Ill give you directions from there. See you in a couple days.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:34 pm

I'm in as well...swing into Montana on your way through!
Coonslayer101
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Coonslayer101 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:55 pm

You don't even run coon yet your on here telling some newbie how to do it haha that's great maybe you and k_cantcatchacoon can get together and it would be the blind leading the blind

Return to “Coon Hunting”