New to Coon hunting with Dog Need Help

Talk about Coon Hunting
JBATT
Facebook ID: 0

New to Coon hunting with Dog Need Help

Postby JBATT » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:01 pm

I’m sure this has been asked a bunch on here but at what age do you introduce a raccoon to a puppy to get them started. Or when should they be able to see a caged coon. And at what age do you let them go on the chase for one?
driftwood blue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: New to Coon hunting with Dog Need Help

Postby driftwood blue » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:28 am

Get you the Walk with Wick books-- there are 2 and they are very good for learning a lot about coon hunting. --I like for the pups to be at least 6-8 months old before showing them a live coon
some are not ready before 10 months old--
there are some ready at 5 months old - I have had a few that went nuts over one around 4 months old and burned out by 1 year.. I believe that the 6-8 months age is better in the long run.
My good hunnting buddy had a pup from GR nite ch Southshore drive RJ that would tree his heart out at 3 1/2 months old---he started hunting him and he was totally burned out by 1 year old.
JBATT

Postby JBATT » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:17 am

I just ordered volume 1 walk with wick last night. Thanks for the info just want to make sure I do this right.
walkerblacktan
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby walkerblacktan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:48 am

Don't do too many caged coons. Really don't help that much. I would let them bay one in a cage, then take coon to where dog can't see it she'd let it go. Watch where there coon goes, wait a half hour, then either let dogs go, or take them to the track on leash. Id wait til about 6 months old
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:02 pm

The easiest way to start a coon dog is over corn feeders. Start putting a handle on him from 5-8 months. When he knows his name and is tone broke, and will load and mind you he is ready for the feeders. Put out 3-4 feeders about 1/2 mile apart. There should be coon visiting in about a week. Take him to each feeder no less than twice a week. If the feeders are hot with coon activity a good prospect will show something pretty quick. Take just you and him alone, another dog or extra person is a distraction to a pup. Don't talk to him, act as if you are just walkin in the woods. When he strikes and trees the first coon, shoot it out dead to keep him from getting hurt. Coon can whip a young dog pretty good.a dog that's going to be worth keeping will get it done in about 6-8 weeks. Don't mess with turn out game or hang up hides. Most of the time that confuses you and the dog. Most any kind of dog will show interest in live stuff or skins but will never strike trail and tree a coon.

Return to “Coon Hunting”