Any tips on how to get pup to tree?

Talk about Coon Hunting
redbonecoondoggin

Any tips on how to get pup to tree?

Postby redbonecoondoggin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:38 am

I have 2 redbones on is 5 months and treeing coons already one is 7 months but losses interest when they hit the tree any tips on how to get her to tree? I am new to this I am just getting into hunting with dogs so all tips will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Any tips on how to get pup to tree?

Postby david » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:44 am

The biggest problem with modern tree bred dogs is false tree. I predict your 5 month old May end up showing you some empty trees. Your seven month old will Pobably figure out treeing at a later age. And that will be the dog that will be less likely to false tree.

Read this thread on bobcat dogs to get a perspective on waiting for a dog to tree.
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=48068

There are things that can be done, but I am reluctant to share them because they will probably make your 5 month old more likely to false tree.

But here is one that does not need to be related to the tree, but when the dog gets older might be used to help flip the treeing switch:

Teach the dog to “speak” on command. Again, not at the tree, nothing to do with the tree.
Put the dog in a situation where you know it will bark, as soon as it does, say “speak!” And then praise the dog and even have a treat ready to give it. Anticipate the next bark, and as it barks, repeat the above. Hounds enjoy barking and when he realizes it pleases you, he will catch on to the command to “speak”.

This will help in teaching the dog to bark on the rig and become a rig dog also when he realizes his treat is to get off the rig and work the coon he has identified from the vehicle.

It also can help when the dog obviously has located the tree and just needs a little help to flip the switch and bark up it.

But some pups can not locate up. I have seen some that absolutely can not look up. If I go up a ladder, I disappear to them, while other pups will watch me climb all the way up. pups that may have non-tree blood are more likely not to be able to look up. Yet they can eventually make better/more accurate tree dogs than the pups who love to bark up.

Your dogs are very young. Let them be pups for awhile.

DO NOT encourage that five month old to bark up. Just let her do her thing.
Last edited by david on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redbonecoondoggin

Postby redbonecoondoggin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:59 am

Me and a 2 friend on mine bought a pup out of the same litter they are 5 months old me and one of my friends pups show interest but on of my buddy’s dog will not even bark at a coon is it just because they are still so young? We work him with are dogs and they will be treeing but he just can’t seem to get it that he is suppose to bark at the coon he just thinks the other dogs want to play and tries to play with them.

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:07 pm

If you can possibly afford it, buy the “Walk With Wick” treedog encyclopedias.

What you are doing can ruin certain dogs, slow down certain other dogs, and some dogs will have no appearant negative effect.

Don’t push a baby to do an adult activity. Wait!

They don’t have the mental/physical/emotional maturity to absorb negative things that may happen or be perceived at this age. The same negative things can happen to a mature dog and he won’t even notice them, or may really like them. Like professional wrestlers really like doing it. Right now, it may be more like child abuse. It depends on the dog. Let them be puppy’s and learn to love the woods, love the water and swim well, and love the sound of a gun, and love the dog box and the truck etc.
Be very careful not to let them be hurt by dangerous game at this age.

Many people do hunt 5 to 7
Month old dogs, and they will disagree with everything I am saying.

But at least take this: don’t worry about the pups that just want to play with other pups right now. There is plenty of time to worry about them later.

There is such a thing as dogs that don’t work out. But it is way too early to make that call.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:35 pm

sometimes the pup that seems a little more timid and just likes to watch everything turns out to be smarter and more able to solve problems than the more automatic, impulsive dogs. While they are just living, he is figuring out life.

Sometimes smarter dogs are easier to ruin. They require more patience.
redbonecoondoggin

Postby redbonecoondoggin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:45 pm

This is them

redbonecoondoggin

Postby redbonecoondoggin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:51 pm

I don’t really know what you mean by pushing them?? Do you mean don’t show a coon or do you mean don’t let the coon get a hold of them? All I have done was showed them a coon in a trap one time and then I’ve worked with them with a hide 3 or 4 times and the hide is what he started treeing on is this pushing them? And thanks for all the tips like I said I don’t know much I haven’t never done nothing like this so it is greatly appreciated.

ethertonee
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby ethertonee » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:27 pm

The best advice I could give you is to buy the walk with wick books. Your dogs are young. I am not an expert, but you have been given great advice. There is no magical number for a bench mark at a certain age. But over doing it or making a seemingly minor mistake at a younger age trends to have much bigger consequences then when they are older.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:22 pm

Rossco
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rossco » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:16 am

If most of what your 7 month old has seen is just a hide in a tree, I wouldn't be worried about him not treeing much yet. Most dogs don't do what you would hope to see them do on just a piece of hide or laying sent drags. They will act completely different on the real thing. Whith the age your 2 pups are, the best thing you can do is get them out and hunt them. If your going after coons, show them as many as you possibly can. And do your best to set them up for success. But I have found the best thing you can do with a young dog is show them all the desired game you possibly can, and I mean straight poor it to them
"Life is hard, its harder if your stupid." John Wayne
Rossco
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rossco » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:05 am

A great situation to really get a young dog hunting coons hard is hunting briar patches during the day. Once they figure out going in them to hunt around it will work great. During the daytime, a coon more often than not will not leave a briar patch. And if they do, you can usually be right there to push them back in. Young dogs will have to work hard and trail them around in there. A lot of times a coon will climb around just above them. It will get them looking up and make them work hard for a critter that is always just out of their reach. As they get older and figure things out they will just take care of the situation on their own.
"Life is hard, its harder if your stupid." John Wayne
redbonecoondoggin

Postby redbonecoondoggin » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:04 am

Thanks for all the comments helps a lot and cleared up a lot of things...

Return to “Coon Hunting”