Dogs age??

Talk about Coon Hunting
trentonmoore292

Dogs age??

Postby trentonmoore292 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:22 am

Hey guys, one of my friends recently gave me this dog and I was just curious what you guys could tell me about her he didn’t know her age or anything. Any info helps pls and thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trentonmoore292

Re: Dogs age??

Postby trentonmoore292 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:35 am

And do you think she is at age to where I should keep training cause like I said I just got her and I don’t know what she’s capable of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LarryBeggs
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby LarryBeggs » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:57 pm

She looks like she is maybe 2 to 4 years old. Good looking dog. To me training never stops mo matter how old they get. Good luck with her.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:02 pm

I can 100% what she is....she's purdy! It's hard to age one in a photo like. She's tight and hard, and it's hard to tell if the that is frosting behind her nose or where the white snip tried to wrap around. Look at her teeth. I'm betting she doesn't have any wear on them. I'm betting they are still rigid and not flat, especially since she looks like she's been well cared for. That is usually a good indicator. If she's had pups they did a good job of drawing her back up tight but from that picture it doesn't appear she has. I guess she could be spayed, idk. At first glance I'm guessing 2 or less. Train away, you'll learn something, maybe she will too. Maybe she's the next great one and maybe your friend gave you his problem lol. Won't know until you try her. Just remember, confidence is everything all ways leave them wanting more. Merry Christmas

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:48 pm

She sure a good looking dog & well cared for. Get your self a fresh live trapped coon, turn it loose & see how she reacts. Al
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:08 pm

I tried to train a few dogs using live coon, hide drags and suck but I found the best dogs i had all I did is take them to the woods that had coons and walk drainage. The good ones want take long. If they don’t tree a coon within a dozen trips,get another one. I wouldn’t hesitate to try a 3 yr. at training.
Rossco
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rossco » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:17 am

The biggest training for you to work on around the house with her is handling. Make sure she comes when you call, loads in the pickup when you tell her to, and leads without dragging you around. Sit, lay down, shake and roll over is for house dogs, hounds don't need to know circus tricks. But that's just my opinion. Once you have a pretty good handle on her, I would take her out somewhere during the daytime where you can watch her good and let her hunt around. And study her while she hunting. See if she hunts close to you and checks in often. Or does she hunt big deep circles and only check in occasionally. Ideally she doesn't just run wild and forget you even exist. Doing this will give you a better idea of what she is doing at night when you can't see her. And remember to keep it fun for both of you. Don't get after a hound too hard when you are first learning. There will be times she knows more about what's going on than you do.
"Life is hard, its harder if your stupid." John Wayne

Return to “Coon Hunting”