Coon hunting with pitbull

Talk about Coon Hunting
trentonmoore292

Coon hunting with pitbull

Postby trentonmoore292 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:44 am

Hey guys so I had a guy tell me a story about him hunting with a pitbull that he had trained and I have 3 of them and I was just curious if any of y’all would know how I could go about training one to coon hunt. Thanks any tips help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Coon hunting with pitbull

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri May 01, 2020 12:58 am

Trenton I am by no means an expert on pitbulls or coon hunting but I've done some coon hunting and been using pitbulls for about 30 years. The first thing I would consider is the individual dog. Most pitbulls have that natural prey drive so getting them to want a coon shouldn't be hard. Do your drags and teach them to look up. Help them to learn to check for a tapped tree. These are things that likely aren't going to be natural like it is to tree dogs. Pitbulls are usually a very intelligent breed. If yours are trainable they will likey do well. I would worry about having 2 or more at a tree at a time. They are gonna be excited and climbing over each other etc. Most pitbulls aren't gonna put up with another dog all over them especially when they are excited over game. You could have a train wreck. I have many that could do anything I put the time into to teach. We had a male that stayed in the chicken and pigeon yard loose. He WOULD NOT put mouth on a chicken but if two started fighting he would go get between them. He killed 2 chicken hawks and tore into the pigeon pen one night and killed an owl that hot in there after the pigeons. Many of them are trainable and they are smart but many of they can't think or rationalize when the switch is "on". That's the difference in the good ones and the bad ones usually. JMO hope its a help. Let us know how it works out.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Return to “Coon Hunting”