6 month old training

Talk about Coon Hunting
trentonmoore292

6 month old training

Postby trentonmoore292 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:20 am

Hey guys I recently got a papered walker at 6 months old and she hasn’t been started on anything yet she doesn’t know to sit or anything I recently bought a Pete rickards drag training kit and was wondering how I would go about getting her to actually she will come to the tree and walk around she doesn’t do anything else what should I do? Thanks any tips help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mehunter
Facebook ID: 0

Re: 6 month old training

Postby Mehunter » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:50 am

It can be a fun game for the owner and pup to use the drag but in my opinion it is just to get the dogs nose working a little bit. If you can find a roadkill coon that should help get her excitement up some. Even better is to trap a live coon and get her fired up that way... I have a pretty good coonhound right now that didn’t care at all for the drag as a pup. He did exactly what you said yours is doing. But after seeing some coons he was a completely different dog.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: 6 month old training

Postby macedonia mule man » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:48 pm

You need to learn how to hunt alone. Teach the dog basic obedience, name and how to load. Find you a few ditches,creeks or river and start hunting. You can throw out a little corn at each place and that increases the chance of hot coon. Coon dogs are the easiest to train,the really good ones start quick and improve. The key is to stay by yourself, the dog will teach you if you never hunted before. Remember he is the one doing the hunting, not you.

Return to “Coon Hunting”