Schnell

Bticked
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Schnell

Postby Bticked » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:50 pm

Schnell,
What part of NM are you in? Tell us about your dogs, what you like to hunt or how long have you been running hounds? Im in Albuquerque, only been running hounds for a couple years now but really like to learn all I can from the veterans. Hope to hear from you.

Ryan
schnell
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Schnell

Postby schnell » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:59 pm

I'm pretty much a beginning houndsman and incompetent hunter. I live near Belen.

Several years ago I got a place out of town in a rural area and felt like I needed to get a dog to look after the place. I put the word out and after awhile my friend told me about these puppies. I checked them out and got what I thought was the cutest one of the bunch. She was a little white female walker dog that we named Shelby. I brought her home in my pocket.

As she grew up I got really attached to her and worried about her getting lonely. Along the way my wife found out about this abandoned hound that needed a home. He turned out to be a black headed walker about the same size and age as Shelby. We brought him home and renamed him Hagen (from L.B. which was short for little b@st@rd). He settled in and became about twice as loud, three sizes larger, and ten times more affectionate. He is a Luv Monster.

Anyways, short story long, these two dogs got me into hounds and I developed a fancy. So I started reading everything I could Lay my hands on, asking everyone I came across, and joined the forum here, back when Zeus was still alive.

At the time I had a year-round season in the Ladron mountains near my home that the state was trying to reduce the cat population in order to favor the bighorn sheep in the area. I don't have horses, or a decent truck, so I would just go out and walk the mountain trails with the hounds. I've encountered a cat there in the past without the dogs and there is still lots of signs of them in the area (scrapes, scratched trees, etc).

Time went by and I kept my eyes peeled for pups along the way that I could build a foundation with for hunting these big cats nearby. I found a female pup a few years back out of Utah that was a likely candidate for eventually starting a small blue pack of my own for hunting. This was my Mathilda.

About a year and a half ago I found a male pup from a litter in Florida that seemed like
he would be a good cross. He is named Bacchus and has a good disposition, is attentive, and has a desire to please. He's also got the wanderlust.
schnell
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby schnell » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:12 pm

I could barely post my last reply - there seems to be something wrong with the text window or the GUI interface (or my computer...).

But to continue my story: I got these two blue dogs to try and cross them specifically to get myself a small pack built up for running around the desert here locally.

We have hard terrain ranging from desert plains up to rugged mountains. Very dry, hot half the year and cold the other half. Very seldom rains or snows where I frequent. The mountains and crags are also unforgiving. But there's lots of elbow room and plenty of stuff for the hounds to sniff.

So I basically have three huntable hounds now (the big one is my wife pet and I don't hunt him). The two blue dogs and Shelby, who is my guardian hound dog. She keeps the two younger ones in line for me.

My hope is to keep spending time in the desert and mountains with my hounds. It's a simple pleasure, but leaves me feeling happy.
sswhitney
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby sswhitney » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:26 am

I think we all have something in common, we're not smart enough to hunt hounds. :) Well I live in Rio Rancho, been hunting hounds 2 years, we're starting our 3rd season, I got 6 now, but 3 are pups, 1 is 4yr old male walker (my first hound) and 1 year old walker and a 13 yr old walker(he don't hunt anymore, but eats well and enjoys helping out the pups) I have met a few other houndsmen here, some are really really really nice others are just others. During the August Bear season my lead dog got to participate in his first bear treeing event. Unfortunately I wasn't there to enjoy it. But I have a running hunting and fishing buddy now that also runs hounds and his is helping me learn and putting me and my dogs on game. If either of you or anyone else wants, I would be glad to share my ups and downs (more downs) with what has worked and so on. Anyway, I hope you all have a great season this year. sw

scott
nmplott
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby nmplott » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:49 am

what do you do at tech?
www.arrowbarkennels.com
Home of Plott hounds and American Bulldogs
schnell
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby schnell » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:55 pm

These days I'm building some of the parts for a fancy radio telescope. It will all be assembled in Chile when we get our bits finished as sent south.
erniesshop

Postby erniesshop » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Guy's , My name is Ernie.
I live in Grants.....Sure would like to visit with you all.
I have a 2 yr old Walker Cross , that has never Hunted and I would like to change That.
I just don't know where to start.

Return to “New Mexico”