There is no snort to it!!!!

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Mackdog

Re: There is no sport to it!!!!

Postby Mackdog » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:42 am

If you are so worried about traps, why don't you break your dogs on traps? Steve Matthes did it with every dog he hunted and never had a dog get caught.

Trapping is what pioneered the West. If you want snares and conibear traps outlawed then your tracking system should be outlawed.
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby twist » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:52 am

This post has gotten way out of control just said i dont agree on trapping and snaring that is my opinion and mine only never said anything about outlawing them also never once said I was worried about my dogs being around traps or snares. And me being a dog jokey I sell a FEW pups a year (one maybe two litters) does that make me a dog jokey I am sure flooding the market with pups arent I! Oh and me also being the jealous one find a post of mine saying this my hat is always of to all the respectful houndsmen. Also have never said I have invited everyone to come show me how to dry ground bobcats in this area just the one that say they can do it in this area as they are usually the talkers and not the showers. Have meet alot of great people on this site and also helped out many on this site and glad to have done it as they are great people. I am glad we all dont agree, it would make for a boring world. Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby livetohunt » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:58 am

So the deer hunters get on thier sites and bitch about houndsmen saying that they wish running hounds in the woods would be stopped to make it better for them to hunt. And when fly fishermen get on thier sites and bitch about anyone who goes fishing that not fly fishing should be stopped. And when bow hunters get on thier sites and say rifle hunting should be stopped. And trappers get on there sites and bitch about them dang hounds messing up thier sets and they should be stopped. Im sure I left out a few others that are pissed about someother sportsmen and wanting what ever it is that they love to do stopped. And now we got all the houndsmen talking about stopping trapping.

GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK.

You sounds as bad as the antis "there is no sport to it" funny how many traps have you set Twist? I remember seeing the antis saying "theres no sport to it" as they fight everyday to ban bear hunting, coon hunting, cat hunting with hounds. I will tell you this there is a skill to trapping tons and tons and tons of skill. Why not talk with the guy thats trapping the land around you. Let him know your concerns, find out what methods he is using. Even offer to go along with him and check it out, see what its really like. Who knows you might just like it, have some fun and meet a really cool outdoorsmen. And maybe just maybe change your view a little.

The more all of us sportsmen and women fight amongst ourselves the more the antis win.

And just so you all know I fly fish, I bait fish, I bow hunt, I rifle hunt, I run hounds and trap and love it all. Every day that I get to spend outdoors hunting, fishing, trapping and running my dogs is a gift from God.
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:14 am

I have to clear this up before I head to bed never once said stop or ban trapping! Understand what is being said before saying I said something I never. Also it doesnt take a rocket scientist to catch (bobcat) with a trap or snare. All I said is there is no snort to it, whisky and coke. once a cat is snared they are done Tom, female or kitten its over no letting them go I also did say for the trappers that do let certain cats go my hat is off to them. Sorry for ruffling any feathers but read a post 3 or 4 times if you have to so you fully understand it before you go hijacking it. Andy
Last edited by twist on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby livetohunt » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:21 pm

Twist my comment was not just ment to you, but also to the other member that did talk about banning trapping or types of trapping. I did ask you how many traps have you set? And to the other members on here that talk about banning trapping or types of trapping how many have you set?
My point I am trying to make is many of the comment being made on this post are just as bad as what you hear the antis make about running hounds. They think we turn large packs of hounds out sit in our trucks and drink beer and wait for our dogs to rip what ever game we are after apart. They go on and on about how there is no skill and no sport in running hounds, but we know diffrent. Untill you try it how can you say there is no skill needed, no sport. You say "BOBCAT trapping and snaring" I tell you what come to California and go Bobcat trapping with me using cage traps cause that is all we can use here and show me there is no skill to it.
I dont see the dry ground guys getting on here and telling the guys that run in the snow hey there is no skill to running cat in the snow.
As for the few trappers that set snares and traps in spots they shouldnt or dont tag thier traps cause they know what they are doing is wrong and illegal. Please dont think that all trappers and all trapping is the same cause its not. That would be as bad as thinking all houndsmen are the same as the P.O.S. that are out there killing kittens and cubs and selling gallbladder's cause were not.
All of us are sportsmen we need to stick together.
realdog
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby realdog » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:33 pm

twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Great post livetohunt agree totally, Andy
Warner5
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Warner5 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:58 pm

Our differences make us stronger as people and fellow hunters. But when poor judgement is used, and there is a lack of respect for one another then our differences can make us weaker, especially in a public forum. Twist, Realdog, Livetohunt and other's. My hats off to you fella's. With the use of proper judgement, respect and understanding for one another, this thread didnt go in the crapper. The anti's are masters of divide and conquire. We cannot make it easier for them. It's a good day to be a hound hunter. Thankyou. John Warner.
Rowland-Walkers
CA.Cat & Fox Hunter

Postby CA.Cat & Fox Hunter » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:53 pm

Hundreds of predators are snared (where legal) and sold in the live market (where legal). How do you think the fox and coyote pens are filled? The owners of these pens get in contact with successful trappers or snaremen to fill their pens with uninjured predators. “Snared,” don’t mean death to the animal. Placing stops and swivels on your snares allows you to not harm the predator. It’s not 100%, but neither is running them with hounds. Hundreds of snared predators are released unharmed every season.
You say there’s no sport to snaring, yet you have no idea about what you’re talking about. Learn alittle about the topic before you post something on the World Wide Web. Most houndsmen are trappers or ex-trappers, or their family members are. Posting a topic that is only supported by your opinion and feelings about our heritage and not expect to get uproar is foolish on your part.
AZDOGMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby AZDOGMAN » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Sounds like Andy was a little bothered by guys trapping and killing cats around his hunting area. Sounded more like he didnt like the fact that they were not being selective or using methods that allowed them to be selective. Im sure he would have said the thing about another hounder killing every cat that treed. Dont be so hard on him. It was just his opinion and im sure most hound guys that didnt trap would feel the same whether they admitted it or not. Read his posts, he is one of the few that is normaly pretty positive and constructive on here so chill out. PS i dont know the man jmo :beer
Liz ODell
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: There is no snort to it!!!!

Postby Liz ODell » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:02 pm

Might make some people upset by saying it but I'm just hoping the price on bobcats will take a nose dive and soon...how many years have they been going high now?
Before anyone gets upset I know there are people out there that trap to make a little money and because they enjoy it but the high price seems to also bring out the people that will kill every $50 queen right along with every $500 tom.
Kinda sad what money will make people do to animals and even each other.
Where are the finished products being sold anyway? You'd think there just wouldn't be enough people out there buying $5000 dollar coats every year but maybe I'm wrong?
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:25 pm

azdog, wish everyone could read and understand what was being said rather than drag a bunch of unsaid bs into a post. Liz, also agree 100% with you. thanks, Andy
Arkansas Frog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Arkansas Frog » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:44 pm

I trapped for serval years used snares and foot holds,trapped for the live market,NEVER had a snared animal to die on me in a snare,they are serval kinds of snares we use the relaxing snares in Arkansas,but if you catch a yote and don't get to him before day light he will tear his paw up,keep fighting it,[foot hold] had to go to rubber jaws. conabear nothing cames out alive,220 conabear will break a german shepards neck in a second.

on a relaxing snare when the animal pulls on it and stops it will back up a bit.
Frog
George Streepy
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby George Streepy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:00 am

I had a dog get caught in an illegal leg hold set last winter. The trap was right off the side of the road and I realized it was a set just before my best dog stepped in it. I was pissed to say the least and found myself disliking trappers the rest of the day. I grew up in a family of trappers and have absolutely nothing against them. But that day I really didn't like trappers, or at least the jackass that set that one.

I bugle elk every year just for fun. Every time I bugle in a bull with an arrow hanging out of a gigantic rotten spot in his ass, I usually find myself not liking bow hunters the rest of the day.

A guy I know killed a bull out of more or less mercy a couple years back and we found a muzzle loader slug buried in his guts. The bull was dead on his feet and rotting from the inside out. I found myself not liking muzzle loaders the rest of the day.

I have had a couple bad days rifle hunting, not knowing what would happen to the wounded animal that ran off. Didn't like myself much the rest of that week.

I get it Twist, nothing wrong with venting from time to time. One of my favorite things about hound hunting is you don't have to kill to be successful. Anything that kills indiscriminately is hard for me to take. I prefer to be selective as much as possible.

Take care,
George
mountain top
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby mountain top » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:12 am

we as outdoorsmen do need to stick together, I see a lot of division around here between houndsmen and still hunters and houndsmen and trappers and so on. I've talked to non-houndsmen and its almost like talking to an anti.
if the still hunter has dog hunting banned, I can promise it will be like dominos it will all end, and the same goes for any aspect outlawing any legal hunting/trapping, one falls it all falls and the antis win.
Andy I know you weren't talking about banning trapping and I'm sure there are plenty of trappers that take all ages of game just like the dog hunters that kill kittens and 65lb bear cubs but they aren't legal nor are they REAL sportsmen. Just my 2cents.
and livetohunt, I know some real died in the wool trappers and they are quick to tell ya that there are few things in our sport that are as hard to as live trap a bobcat! You know all about the skill required for such a task. Hats off man! Truely hats off

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”