Dogs that open on dogs

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
mondomuttruner
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Dogs that open on dogs

Postby mondomuttruner » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:34 pm

I don't know if I'm lucky or unlucky but I've never had a dog like that. Not sayin I had a ton of dogs but went through enough. Every pup I raised grew into barking on scent not grew out of it. Question is, is it possible the trainer trained it to bark like that ( a lot of cage work or a lot of treeing work)..I'm not saying it's right or wrong but I do very little if any cage work and I don't do any tree training, it comes naturally. Just something to think about....
Might be able to get by with a babbling dog bear huntin but not bobcat huntin. The only way to tell what a cat is doing is by how and when the dogs bark.
I hunted with a dog years ago that when it stopped barking you knew he lost the track 10 min ago but to an untrained ear you would have thought he was right on the tail of the cat. lol
cobalt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby cobalt » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:18 pm

How old is this pup, anyway?
How about training the pup on its own for awhile, just to see if it has any skills of its own.
Patience is a big key to training. "Me too" barking is a common occurance. It is a sign of enthusiasm and immaturity. Many dogs get over it, some don't. At the point you start really disliking the dog, be done with it, no matter what the rationale pro or con.
True happiness in hounding is liking your dogs.
Trueblue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Trueblue » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:54 pm

Maybe I misunderstood what Blazenbrat said.I thought he clarified that the dog was not babbling or me too barking but opening and trailing on dog scent.There is a difference.Did I misunderstand ?
BlazeNBrat
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby BlazeNBrat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:09 pm

I thinks she's around 7 months old. She's not a cull at that age, I don't believe in culling dogs to young unless it is just completely and obviously worthless. I think I can help her thru this. I started today with a light correction and she shut her mouth. I'm being careful here to not over correct tho, I don't want to discourage her to follow dogs because a lot of times they sure need to trail up dogs when fed into a race., I know she's just excited and she just needs to shut her mouth. I hope getting after this right away will make all the difference.
BlazeNBrat
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby BlazeNBrat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:13 pm

Yes your right trueblue, trailing dogs.
Bearkiller
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Bearkiller » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:42 pm

I'd be correcting it in a non hunting scenario, if at all possible. I've had a few dogs do it. Its pretty easy to fix.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
Don't buy the hype.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Just my thoughts, seven months old the dog sure could be barking because they cannot get around & keep up with the older dogs. I would tone them at that age but would not shock them hard. Would be best to leave them at home until they mature a little more, but that was not always possible. My personal preference was I would rather tolerate some off barking from a young dog that wind up with mature dog that was too tight mouthed to enjoy hunting by themself. Where I hunted seemed I needed a dog that was able to work the older scent, so turning a seven month old pup loose with them meant that pup was just tagging alone & hopeful learning to navigate in this terrain. And winding up at the tree was considered an accomplishment and about all i expected at seven months old. Have owned some that did considerable more at that age and and considered myself lucky. The last 20 years or so of my hunting I realized dogs did not live long enough to be turnin dogs so they were all turned loose road to tree. Now this might create some disagreement, but in my opinion if a hunter is running a large pack of 9 to 18 dogs or so and they are all barking on a jumped cat race I would sure suspect some of those on barking on dog scent. Al
BlazeNBrat
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby BlazeNBrat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:51 pm

She's pretty mature for her age. What worried me is I've seen her dad do that same thing, I don't want her doing it. I think she's going to be quite a dog when she gets lined out right. She can darn sure run a track.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:43 pm

A dog that can really run a track at seven months old I would sure put up with some off barking and work on that off barking with a gentle hand and patience. There are natural track dogs at a young age but seven months old is very young for knowing how to push a cat track. I owned a female tht was a natural at pushing a cat track but believe she was closer to a year old the first time I hunted her. Had a littermate to her, had been hunting since he was about six months and a male that was about four years old. The first time I took that female hunting with the two males the older male started a track and he and those two youngsters trailed over a brushy ridge. The female was silent but went out with the males. I had driven a short ways to an area that I knew was a littlte easier walking to the ridge top. Only gone a short ways when that female came over that ridge running but no other dogs were barking. Ran back to the road thinking for sure she had jumped a deer. Thinking I was lucky to catch her off a deer I cut a switch and was about to give her a few licks, those two males came over that ridge and I could tell they were very close to the same route the female had followed. In a couple minutes those males poped out of the brush right were the female had come out. Not to sure, but I let the female join them and they worked that track down the road and and back into the brush and soon the race was on again. Long story short they treed a bobcat. The female never treed but was at the tree and I shot the cat out for them. That female never made a true tree dog, but if she ran a cat hard long race she could be the best tree dog at the tree. And it took a good dog to run ahead of her on a running track. She had some weak areas but sure caught some running cats. I kept her until she was about 9 years old and then let the hunter who I bought her from as a pup take her to train young dogs with. And we agreed she was still my dog and I could have her back at any time. Have a picture of her and that younger hunter with a cat that she dumped all his other dogs on and treed by herself in the roughest part of bakers creek at close to 10 years old. Lucky he took that picture a few days later he had tied her too close to a fence in his back yard, she jumped the fence and hung herself. Sad ending to a female that I had offers from other hunters, that had seen her work and was willing to pay decent money for at 9 years old years old. But did not want her miss treated or passed around to different hunters. Alittle off subject but true story and hope some enjoy. That females dam was a descend of nance/s little topper and the sire was a son of one of the best cat , coyote & bear dogs that Tom Barnett owned and I had hunted with both and recommended the cross be made. So yes she had runnin dog in her background. Al
cougar2
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby cougar2 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:38 am

Have you run this dog by it's self on anything? could be it's a (me too) dog, just running with the others, I would try running it on it's own and see if it will trail and open on what you want it to, if it will then run it alone for a bit and then run it with the other dogs again and see if it helps, good luck.
Emily
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Emily » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:50 pm

I have to admit that I'm soft hearted and like to find what a dog does well and work from that. My hounds are also pets and will take the trail of another dog if they think they may be at a playground rather than a hunt. They don't usually open on a dog trail, but I can see they're checking it out. There's one park I coon hunt at that a lot of people use as a dog run during the day, and they will check where the other pets have been earlier in the day.
If I had one that was opening on dogs (and I sometimes think they are ALL doing that at competitive field trials) I would either sell him to someone who hunts coyotes and fox, or listen more carefully. Most dogs have their place if you think about it carefully enough.
Almost all hounds have different voices for different game if you listen closely enough. The other dog can almost always hear this more readily than you can, and it is rare for a lead dog to honor a pup on off-game (at least my dogs won't). I don't think its a terrible thing for a pup to trail the older dogs if it can't keep up as long as it figures out what it is supposed to be hunting when it gets to the tree, and most will after a few times out, especially if they are encouraged to. Nothing like tying the other dogs back and/or giving it a little fur to chew.
Also, I know I occasionally turn my dogs out late when I get to one of my bear hunting spots after my buddies have. My dogs know whats up and want to catch up with the dogs that have already started. I don't have a problem with that--they're smart enough to follow their own noses if they find a better trail, but my two prefer to have some backup and know the others welcome their help. And while my buddies may be annoyed with me for getting there late, they recognize my dogs when they see them. This only happens rarely and only when the dogs they are following are dogs they've hunted with several times and know they can trust them.
esp

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”