Bobcat Dog by Dave Peightal

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Bobcat Dog by Dave Peightal

Postby david » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:16 pm

cajunl
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby cajunl » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:27 pm

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:50 am

Bram

Postby Bram » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:02 am

Ha!
Don’t have children and the wife refers to me being only semi-domesticated. The only thing missing in the above equation is said book...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:43 pm

I beleive better bobcat dogs are easily more available today compared to the early eighties when I was first trying to find one. Also, Garmin has changed things dramatically. It is much easier and much less time consuming today to have a dog that can actually catch a bobcat.

To have that dog in the eighties was impossible without:
a) a ton of money
Or
b) an all-consuming compulsion toward training up a bobcat dog.

Now all you need is
1) a Garmin
2) a modern bobcat bred dog
And
3) a book called “Bobcat Dog”

Easy.

Problem solved.
David hope you are kidding. I recently visited with a retired bobcat hunter who spends most of the cat seasoned camped in the woods with his pack of bobcat dogs. One comment he made was. Takes me four years to train a bobcat dog, thought once I retired I could train one faster. Noticed he had all the modern equipment, has been breeding a line of bobcat dogs for years, may be missing the book, not sure. I have not found the garmin has made it a slam dunk to catch any type of game, however, it sure saves on gas. Heard thru the grapevine, more than one good hunters who are trying to rebuild bobcat packs are having poor seasons. Just my experience. Good hunting to you Al
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:50 pm

In my humble opinion it is much,much harder to find the caliber pup that can make a cat dog nowadays. With the modern equipment we have now I do believe it's easier to put together a pack that can tree cat .
In the past I've had small packs that could tree cat regularly but didn't have A CAT DOG in the bunch.
I can break and cull dogs much faster with the new technology BUT it doesn't
improve their nose,tracking skills or locating ability any.It can sometimes help the hunter to locate the game the dogs couldn't.
No matter how you do it it has never been easy, at least not for me.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:27 am

Blue dog, in my area ( I know nothing about your area) but I suspect it’s about the same. There is only a couple of people that I know that are what I call successful cat hunters. First thing these people wouldn’t ask for opinion on anything they wanted to do or listen to very much advice. If they wanted to learn how to shoot marbles ,they go buy a sack,draw a circle,get down on there knees and start shooting. They learned from hunting and going through dogs. They have a knack of recognizing what they want when they see it. They are willing to sacrifice and no expense is to high. Like the expression at the poker table, they are all in. Most of US are not all in.
Msbobcat
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Msbobcat » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:45 pm

I'd like to buy a copy also
jberryman2

Postby jberryman2 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:38 pm

I've only spoke to you one time on the phone a few years ago asking you this same question about the book when I first got into this illness, just to remind you I would still buy a copy of your book however you put it out. I've borrowed it twice and read it 1.5 times and still would like to reference it from time to time, thank you in advance. E books are handy because you can read them anywhere you can look at your phone.
NICK RILEY
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby NICK RILEY » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:15 pm

David,
I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to post on this site. I really enjoy reading your posts and you sharing your knowledge. When I stared in hounds I had little knowledge, no GPS, no Computer sites, and some really bad dogs. That was the time in my life that it was the most difficult on my marriage. Living in Montana and being and avid outdoors man is something that is just in my blood. I'm going to spend lots of time in the woods regardless. Having access to good information has helped not only my success but has given me more quality time spent with my family. God has blesses me with six children who also love the outdoors. The older boys laugh when telling stories about loosing the dogs and not treeing much(it wasn't funny at the time) My younger boys help me train and raise pups and have stories of the cats we did finally tree! We will make memories together good or bad. I would prefer more of the good ones!
I can think of two young men I have been mentoring that could use a copy of your book and would like to give a signed copy to my three youngest sons, Noah, Caleb and Stephen. Please put me down for 5 books when you have them.
Nick
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:19 am

Thank you for the encouragement guys.

Nick it sure is good hearing from you. I sometimes wonder how you are getting along.
It seems like years since we have heard from you on here.
saponi

Postby saponi » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:39 pm

i would a copy
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bowieknife50 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:07 pm

Put me on the list for at least one.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
WalkerCurCat
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby WalkerCurCat » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:13 am

I'll take 3 brother

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
bigsmith87

Postby bigsmith87 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:16 pm

Dave i would like a copy or 2 depending on price. i currently have 1 copy i've nearly wore out. great read

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”