terrier ?

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
moose
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

terrier ?

Postby moose » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:27 pm

how big of a terrier would you need for getting bobcats out of dens, brush piles and culvers?? thanks
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: terrier ?

Postby pegleg » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:37 pm

big enough to drag it. if a cat can't slip away easy they'll ball on a dogs head. so if it's really in there your going to need a very gamey terrier. the problem is cats will bite when they're really hurt and as they face what ever is after them it would be a bit harder on the dog. the other issue is they won't pursue a dog back wards down a tunnel very far so the dog couldn't bait it backwards like lots of earth game. and cat skins tear pretty easy and most terriers have enlarged canines for their body size and pretty good jaw power. i've never seen one that was real successful but on the other hand i don't have many areas you couldn't get a cat out if you really want it. so there may be a method that works. i'd like to hear about it myself.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:40 pm

i think the only way i would consider it is if most of my hunting ended in rock piles. brush and culverts your hound should be able to drag them out
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:49 pm

To each his own, but I would be happy my dog never went in a hole or covert. If you could get in contact with Jimmy Gibbs, Myrtle Point Or. , he owns some terriers that I hear would be what you need. Al
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:13 am

I have a strong opinion on this topic, based on my own experience with it. But I wont give it, because it will make me sound like a mean old man. I tried it. So you can too. I will say, it would be rather inconvenient for you to have to carry your terriers all the way to Oregon or Idaho all the time.
DirtyDave
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby DirtyDave » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:34 am

No doubt a Jagd or Patterdale will do what you need. But you are going to have some tore up cats and dogs. Terriers are hard on fur if you are selling pelts and a Bob is hard on a dogs face......
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:39 am

Sure did not mean any terrier would get a big bobcat out of a hole or covert, however I heard Jimmy/s will give it a heck of an effort. Al

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”