Breeders??????

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Huntin1
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Breeders??????

Postby Huntin1 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:36 am

.???.?.
Last edited by Huntin1 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:54 am

Hunt1 i will clarify that i was saying there are guys that catch 75+ cats a year. Im not selling dogs and never have! The problem with consistency in litters of cat dogs is getting ALL the pups in the hands of good hard hunters. But as im sure you know when somebody has a good cross they dont all get hunted the way they need to be hunted to make solid cat dogs. To Buzz's original question i wont throw names of who i consider to have a pretty good handle on breeding cat dogs on the west coast but you can give me call if you want.

Mark Armstrong
541-979-3734

You will probably need to leave a message, will be busy internet hunting.
Varminator
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Varminator » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:58 am

Al, I'll bet it was a large Critter!!!
If your coming, come on!!! "A Thousand mile journey, Starts with a single step".
houndogger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby houndogger » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:24 am

Huntin1 wrote:Internet bobcat hunters, they always manage to tree the most.

Who have you hunted with?
If your going to find tracks you better make tracks!
Varminator
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Varminator » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:26 am

Al, I really don't see it being that hard if you have a pack of "cat dogs"!! If you think about it that's only 6 (7 every 4th month) cats a month and many of these guys are hunting during the week. You must know some hunters who catch "20+" in cat season and that's (3)months. If you times that by (4) that's "80+" !! :wink:
Most aren't able to hunt 300+ days a year! if they could,I think they would believe It' JMO!!!

Al, haven't you caught 20 cats a season ? :D
If your coming, come on!!! "A Thousand mile journey, Starts with a single step".
CRA
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby CRA » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:30 am

houndogger wrote:
Huntin1 wrote:Internet bobcat hunters, they always manage to tree the most.

Who have you hunted with?

I already asked him that and he turned into a politician and dodged the question. :lol: :lol:
Big N' Blue
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Big N' Blue » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:45 am

mark wrote:Hunt1 i will clarify that i was saying there are guys that catch 75+ cats a year. Im not selling dogs and never have! The problem with consistency in litters of cat dogs is getting ALL the pups in the hands of good hard hunters. But as im sure you know when somebody has a good cross they dont all get hunted the way they need to be hunted to make solid cat dogs. To Buzz's original question i wont throw names of who i consider to have a pretty good handle on breeding cat dogs on the west coast but you can give me call if you want.

Mark Armstrong
541-979-3734

You will probably need to leave a message, will be busy internet hunting.

Mark, pretty much nailed it here!!! Lot easier to find a quality cat bred pup than it is to find hunters to get all his potential!

I want to add a few thoughts on this subject. Not a lot of people have the time or resources to get the most of their dogs. Life is short and all we as can do is the best we can with what we have. This site has so much knowledge being shared at no cost that in the future there will be many young men that have the basics without having to go thru the trial and error that most of the old timers had to learn from trial and error. That being said, not all of us like the same traits in a dog, just like women. Some like em fat, some like em skinny, some like em pleasingly plump.

There are many good breeders of cat dogs. Their problem is getting those pups to hunters that have the time and resources to get the most out of them. Not an easy job in this time in history when all hound hunting opportunities are under assault.
Bluetickhounddog
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Bluetickhounddog » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:56 am

Last edited by Bluetickhounddog on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big N' Blue
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Big N' Blue » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:23 am

Bluetickhounddog, be careful calling BS. Just because you have not seen it! They are out there and there are more than you think!! Lol

Gonna add that I am not one of them!!! Lol
Old dog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Old dog » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:20 pm

lmao I told you it was a loaded question. hunting 1, you know, I know we know, you made a statement about hunting with every major breeder in ore before you put any thought to it. in other words, you were talking shit. a lot of the serious cat hunters/dog breeders don't bother to get online for one and for two, they certainly don't need to advertise to sell pups. the terrain on the coast range dictates what traits a dog needs to have to tree bob cats there. so even if a guy breeds best to best he is using cat dogs to select from. most that I know have been hunting the same blood for a long time and when they need a young dog they make a educated cross from what they have and the pups seldom hit the open market.as far as cats taken and cats treed or caught,,,well I will just say the last year I was able to hunt hard that I caught 35 plus and didn't consider that number worthy of bragging about.....p.s. mark trees three a day but he feeds them off his back porch.i know this because the p.i. seen him feeding and petting them
no mater if you think you can or you think you cant,, you are probably rite.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:27 pm

As with anything some do and some don't. The key is to know who does and who does not. Anyone can talk good here but there are a lot of you that have never seen what can be done bobcat hunting with the right pack of dogs. No dog is perfect, that does not mean he can not tree most of the cats he jumps. When a person knows all there is to know he is limiting himself and shows what he does not know. As far as breeding we do the best we can do, sometimes it works sometimes it does not. If I was looking for good pups I would find the guys that do catch 75+ cats a year and see what they are doing and hunting. Not at the guys that do most of the talking. There are guys out there that catch almost every cat they jump in winter conditions some even will cold trail that cat that is 8 to 12 hours old and catch it. Just maybe this Buzz guy knows more them he lets on, just maybe. If you are not looking for the best, you must be content with what you have. Some people are totally happy with 10 cats a year treed and just being able to hear a dog pound a track. Each to their own be it dog or knowledge. Dewey
cobalt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby cobalt » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Bluetickhounddog, "taking" and "catching" are two different terms. Just like with bear hunting, the amount killed rarely equals the amount treed. Kill statistics never reflect amounts "caught". As for bobcat, I don't know a whole lot of cat hunters in Oregon, but I do know several who catch over 50 in a 5 month period, a couple catch a whole lot more than that.
As per the original question, I say ba humbug to west coast catdog breeders. There isn't enough information for me to say one guy or another has anything superior to anyone else. I believe I've seen really good catdogs of different styles from several different sources, even from east coast coondog stock. Training is the key as far as I'm concerned. What a perspective buyer can find, however, are styles of dogs. There are breeders that consistently produce styles for different types of hunters all over the west coast. From drifting dogs to tracky dogs, cold nosed to warmer, compact dogs to larger, even mellow dogs to hyper ones.
Old dog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Old dog » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:41 pm

most any old timer knows that the biggest factor is time in the woods
no mater if you think you can or you think you cant,, you are probably rite.
Trueblue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Trueblue » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:03 pm

dwalton wrote: If I was looking for good pups I would find the guys that do catch 75+ cats a year and see what they are doing and hunting.

Putting up big numbers is really not that impressive. All it requires is a few dogs that know their job and a hunter who has the time to keep them in the woods.Just because the guy down the road only has weekends and trees fewer cats doesn't mean he has inferior dogs. He might even have better dogs. The quality of a mans hounds or his breeding program cannot necassarily be determined by how many cats are treed in a year. A person with with mediocre dogs and a lot of time may tree way more than a guy with top notch hounds who has limited time. Publicizing big numbers is just something that guys like to throw out there to stroke their own egos.
buzz
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby buzz » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:19 pm

Well just as I suspected this thread turned into a pissing match about numbers! If everyone is going to talk numbers I may as well too. So you take a guy like me that runs a logging crew for a living, I work five days a week most of the season. During the week I leave home around 3:00 am. Every morning I drive an hour to the landing and work ten to twelve hours a day then return home around 3 4 or 5 Pending we have no break downs. When I get home I do my chores and be a father and husband and then its time for bed. So I guess what I am saying there is no time to hunt during the week! So all that I can hunt is the weekends and if I am lucky we will get mudded out for a week during the season. So I make the best of what I have for conditions on the days I can hunt. With my schedule there is no way I can produce the huge numbers! There is only 26 days of weekends during the season and that is if I hunted every one of those days. So if I can keep my dogs in shape, broke off trash, handle good, and manage to catch 20 cats a year with a 6 and 9 year old boy in tow part of the time I don't think that is to bad! If I had the whole season off I would be very unhappy if I could not catch 50 or 60 or cats!

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”