Older snow

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Redbarntrailhounds
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 100005260597923

Older snow

Postby Redbarntrailhounds » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:03 pm

I am in the process of starting two broke coon dogs on bobcats here in mn. Where I will be hunting it is currently snowing. If the snow quits by tomorrow morning when I arrive on Saturday I could be looking at 24 hr plus tracks. I coon hunt 2-3 times a week around home but I am only able to trek up north after cats a handful of times during season. Would you go?
Thanks Allen
brantpalmer
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Older snow

Postby brantpalmer » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:41 pm

Yes. I would definitely go. For all you know you could have one cross the road in front of you. If you don't go you are sure to catch nothing. Good luck
mondomuttruner
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby mondomuttruner » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Heck, that's fresh snow....go get em..
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Allen, that sounds nearly ideal for MN, depending on what time it quits snowing, and depending on the roads you are hunting , and the amount of snow.

It sometimes takes them a while to move after a snow. If there is a lot of snow, it limits how far they want to travel. The cat can be near at times even if the track is older. They like to let other animals get out and plow the roads for them sometimes, and that takes a little while. Think like an animal that doesn't really like snow, but puts up with when he has to. When and where would you walk if you were hungry for rabbit but don't really like snow.

If they are logging at all, Friday morning tracks will be blown full of the powdery MN snow. Any passage of a vehicle on your road should cause some of this. So sometimes you need to be looking beyond the shoulder of the road and into the brush a ways. You can spot tracks that parallel for a bit but never cross the road. This happens more than you would think.

Don't drive over a catty looking track, get out and look before you disturb it. This can save you hours in a day. Instead of walking out tracks to try and figure out what they are you are getting dogs out, or moving on.

Saturday morning after a Thursday night/Friday morning snow is perfect. Find a friendly truck stop or hotel near your hunting area. Make friends with a teller. Ask her/him to watch for any skiff of snow and what time it quit snowing. Then you will have some more clues on snow conditions and track age. And also you will have someone to call every time before you make the long drive. Snow conditions at home can be vastly different, and you could be wasting a trip.
Redbarntrailhounds
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 100005260597923

Postby Redbarntrailhounds » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:53 pm

I actually called a truck stop near where I want to hunt from my intel from last winter and they said it was snowing now. I will call at 10:30 before the 3-11 employee leaves to see if they are still getting snow. It about a 15 minute drive from where I want to be. They will let you take a shower for 3.00. My wife will appreciate this after a night or two in the truck and miles of running with the dogs. :)

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”