Interesting question for the pro's

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Interesting question for the pro's

Postby al baldwin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:18 pm

I considered any track my dogs struggled with to be a cold track. As others have stated different conditions prevent dogs from moving a track fast & finishing every track they work. I have never been able to say how old a track was for certain. I do know some dogs work colder tracks than the average hound. In my opinion that type dog can be very valuable, when hunting where cats are thin & one is not willing to drive hundreds of miles to cat hunt. I have seen numerous times over the years where a cold nose dog has trailed a long distance, then have another dog take that track and catch a cat out ahead of the cold nosed dog. An early mentor of mine despised such hound, but agreed it sure helped catch cats. I nor any one else can be certain if that dog that just goes alone with that cold trailer until the track suits them, cannot smell a cold track or just don/t want to put in the effort to get that track to a point were they can smell it. Hunt what works for you & pleases your hunting style. I believe each has their place. Don/t take my word or anyone else word to be the sure thing, experience is the best way to form your own hunting style. Al,
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:29 pm

There has been some very interesting points brought up in this discussion. I am in the middle of reading, "Meet Mr. Grizzly", by Montague Stevens. Several times in this discussion I have thought about some of the same points being brought up in the book. Mr Stevens goes into some pretty good detail in explaining his findings and opinions regarding different elements that affect track quality. For those who haven't read the book, I would highly recommend it.

http://www.high-lonesomebooks.com/pages ... izzly-bear

Tex
=2
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:51 pm

Bar Bar 2 That is a great book. He was years ahead of beliefs on training dogs' horses and mules. He was the first to bring a dog into the court room as evidence Good read for everyone. Dewey
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby pegleg » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:28 pm

I guess it doesn't matter to much how old a track is or how far behind a critter you are. I kinda agree with all on this one. If your dogs can catch it, its a good one. If not its a bad track. There's many reasons a track can be bad or uncatchable. If your hounds are catching enough to make you happy and they once in awhile struggle its normal.
Here's a little something about track speed to think about. I had four dogs out all related. One 6 a 5 year old and two littermates coming 3 years. The 5 struck and 6 was right behind it then 3+3. After about two miles or so 3+3 ,5 are smoking down this track 6 is trotting along. Now those dogs aren't any faster or in any better shape then one another. But when we got to the tree there was only the 6 year old there. Why?
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:18 pm

Pegleg, more info please, was there a jumped race or did 6 trail to tree. If it was a trail and tree I guess that some sort of conditions changed and the others couldn't smell it anymore, but they should have stayed with 6 casting close around 6 trying to smell it shouldn't they ? Shouldn't they have honored 6 treeing and went to the tree if they were within hearing? Where were the other dogs at and what were they doing?
I'm not trying to be a smart##s or anything if it sounds like it by the questions, all my experience has been with running hounds in an area where cats seldom tree. I know what y'all do is a whole different ball game. Just trying to understand.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:55 pm

No not at all. The temps were in the high 80 low 90's and we had already covered a lot of really rough country before the strike. The cat didn't exactly "tree" just used it as a quick term for being held up on a rock. The other dogs had just pushed to hard and overheated and couldn't keep going. Having hunted all these dogs together before I know its not lack of drive in any of them. I guess 6 has just figured out the overheating thing. Or maybe just luck. Either way if she had pushed as hard from the beginning I'm sure she would have ended up staggering down the trail too. But she had just enough gas left to heat the cat up and get it stopped.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:08 am

I've got one, I roaded 4 dogs along the edge of a pasture a half a quarter, the dogs acted catty a time or two but kept going ahead of the truck. When I got to the gap at the corner I found a cat track going back the way I had come. I called the best dog and thumbed her on the track, she took it and worked it back where we had just came from. A couple hundred yds she went under the fence into the thick and opened, came back and worked to the end of the field, crossed a road we had roaded to the field and began opening every couple minutes or so, the other dogs with her, can tell they can smell it some in places but not good enough to trail it. She makes a big loop and crosses the road we had roaded going to field again about a half mile east of when she crossed it going north. We are now in a hammock with big live oaks, she is still only opening every couple min but two of the other dogs open a couple times and I think we fixing to run this cat. Nope, not another bark out of any of them. I could see them and watched them hunt hard for it for 30 min and they finally came to the truck. i thought the cat has to be in one of those trees where I saw all three dogs opening and shut up. I looked for an hour and never found a cat, but there was enough Spanish moss in some of those trees a panther probably could have hid up there. It had rained here about midnight and the leaves were dripping, unbelievably it's hard trailing here after a good rain.Why didn't she trail that cat along the field when I roaded em down it? Why didn't she hit it at either place it crossed the road going to the field when I roaded em down it? She trailed that cat all over where we had already been. I don't know.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:53 am

I think that's actually a little more common then people expect on poor tracks. I ve been riding through a area and then slowed down or stopped or had to swing back to get around something and had the dogs strike. You'd think they'd get it the first time. But usually its a weak track and they just happen to hit where it stepped and suddenly realize there's a trail to find. Start flagging and fanning out to get it going. Most times its just practice because it hits a bad spot and just dies. But once in awhile it turns into a cat. All you can do is see if they take it to the end.
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:00 pm

I don't know why some tracks work like that but they do. I find that my dogs may scoot over a bad track or not find it but once they do find it will tend to grub it out better. I've also found that adding a fresh dog to a grub type track can either make it go or blow it up. Really depends on the dog that is added and which track they "hook" into first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”