Rock Dogs !!??!!

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
runemall
Facebook ID: 0

Rock Dogs !!??!!

Postby runemall » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:49 pm

My next big question..!!??? Are there actual dogs that are breed that perform better in rocks than others or are the rocks just a tough area for all dogs? I have heard from time to time folks talk about rock dogs!! Does this come with experience in any hound?
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Rock Dogs !!??!!

Postby twist » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:30 pm

Smaller built dogs for the most part are quicker dogs in some areas but when it comes to heavy rocks there are no dogs that can physically maneuver in these conditions like a bobcat. Yes we have all caught cats in the rocks at one time or the other but luck was on our side. Guys that say they catch consistant in heavy rocks are usually ful of it! Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:07 am

Cat hounds have to be pretty good in the rocks or you'll lose a lot of cats.If or when a bob goes in a hole or crevice its all over but some will just out maneuver the dogs in the cliffs.I prefer a dog that has the brains to go around but not all dogs will do this.There are some pretty athletic hounds that can make it hard on a cat but cliffs and rocks are a bobcats playground and he usually has the advantage !
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:12 am

It is a good question. I am convinced that some dogs have a genetic pre-disposition toward handling rocks well, and other dogs have a longer learning curve. This was so graphic for me because I raised and trained dogs in the northern swamps and then hauled them to the mountains. One dog that I thought was the smartest looked like an idiot in the rocks. It was upsetting to her. Two others looked like they had been born and raised in Goat Rocks Wilderness. It was their very first time to encounter rocks. I remember one heart wrenching scene where one if them was perched on a tiny outcropping half way down a smooth granite face. I thought it was the last time I would see her alive. Then I turned back and she was at the bottom, trailing the cat. It was a remarkable feat. I still have a hard time believing I saw what I saw.

But I agree with What has been said already.
If a track is heading for certain rock ledges, I will give at least an effort to find a different track before putting on it ( unless I have a flying dog with me. )
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:55 am

Some dogs are far better in the rocks and bluffs in their ability to catch bobcats. The bad news is that most of them will die from falling if you hunt around bluffs a lot. I have owned a few, most of them are covered with rocks at the bottom of bluffs. Dewey
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:14 am

It is my opinion, based on experience, some dogs are much better than others in rocks, however in serious rock areas no dog can navigate near as well as a bobcat. Some dogs that go around those rocks do catch some cats that have exited the rocks. But if a cat is smart enough to remain in those rocks, a dog needs a little luck to catch that cat. Years ago recall hunting one dog that pursued a cat several times to a large rock. One morning the dog stood at the base of that rock and treed after circling that rock several times without finding a track leaving that area. As I studied the rock face, it appeared that a cat may be setting in a small hole in that face, not wanting to shoot unless I was sure it was the cat, because that can teach a dog to false tree. However, I gave in and took a shot, a bobcat fell very near the dog from about a hundred feet above. Al

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”