Questions from a beginner

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
OregonCathunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Questions from a beginner

Postby OregonCathunter » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:15 pm

Which do you prefer my buddy who prefers those overgrown beagles :wink: likes to hunt at night I like to hunt in the day for Bobcats personally and my other questions is how do you train a bobcat hound to trail is it the same as a coon hounds or are there different procedures
Last edited by OregonCathunter on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Turn E'm loose let e'm run
davidg1!
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Day or night hunting

Postby davidg1! » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:52 pm

My opinion only, takes a better dog to catch regular in day time.
OregonCathunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby OregonCathunter » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:49 pm

1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby 1bludawg » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:15 pm

Night time is almost always better hunting because there's more game moving.You can usually strike better tracks and more of them .Daytime is more difficult but a lot more enjoyable.After hunting days and nights for many ,many years i've decided to give up the night hunting ..
OregonCathunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby OregonCathunter » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:19 am

Ok and my third question is do coon hound pups make good bobcat hounds cause the sore and dam to the pup I'm going to get are coon hounds that sometimes tree Bobcats would they be cold nosed enough for Bobcats
Last edited by OregonCathunter on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:24 am

I prefer to hunt in the daytime. That being said,alot of the time storms dictate what time of day or night i hunt. Have never really been able to prove to myself if a cat is harder or easier to catch in the daylight or dark. As far as for when cats move, thats a crap shoot only the cat knows. After a lifetime of hunting,playing,and working in the woods i will say that i think i have seen as many cats cross the road in front of me coming home in the middle of the day as i have going to work in the mornings in the head lights. They move when they move. As for hunting at night and needing to rely on GPS more,i guess i disagree because i have hunted far more years without it than i have with it and dont see where its that big of deal. If you need to see the dogs to know what they are doing you are missing the point of running hounds. This is all just an opinion based on a few years of the skool of hard knocks.
OregonCathunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Questions from a beginner

Postby OregonCathunter » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:29 am

Yeah I agree with you mark but my friends hounds aren't totally trash proof yet and he wants to be able to find them if they run out of the country
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:11 am

When i said cat hunting is more difficult in the day time i meant you strike more old cold tracks than you do at night,at least i always did.Cat aren't any harder to tree than they are at night.As far as getting a pup from bear dogs to cat hunt that could be a crap shoot unless some of its ancestors were cat hunted.I can't say the pup won't make a cat dog but your odds are a lot longer .Locating could be a problem as well as track style but in any case good luck .
OregonCathunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby OregonCathunter » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:44 am

1bluedawg the pups parents are Hunted on Bobcats and coon sorry it was a typo
Last edited by OregonCathunter on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
britchey
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby britchey » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:22 am

If you're state allows you to hunt bobcat yes it's better because they are out way more at night then in the day you will get on a lot more fresher tracks at night and older cold trailing in the day with that being said I start all my big game hounds on Bobcats it helps them locate better and bobcats are the hardest to catch with that being said the type of hound I look for is a tite footed small hound 30to 40 pounds with long ears and loose slobbering jaws the younger the better the longer I've done this the more I realized that most hound hunter ruin dogs
I train my pups with sent on a walking stick not a drag and the haging it in a tree this will get you're pup to tree on smell instead of site hope this helps
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:16 am

Britchy what's your theory on long ears and loose slobing jaws? Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Long ears and slobbering jaws make it a hound Andy! Them other dogs , well they look like bird dogs... Sorry couldn't help myself
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:55 pm

Pegleg is was just thinking to hard I guess lol
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:56 am

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”