What's to cold?

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
eskinner45
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

What's to cold?

Postby eskinner45 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:35 pm

I was wondering how cold is to cold to run your hounds it's snowing here now and it's supposed to snow until late tomorrow and Thursday is supposed to be like 4 or 5 degrees with the wind chill is that to cold to be running the hounds?
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: What's to cold?

Postby FullCryHounds » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:29 pm

No, they will do fine. I notice a change in the dogs once it gets below -15. They start holding their feet up off the snow and you can tell they are uncomfortable. It also isn't much fun for us much below that point especially if it's windy.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
DunDealHoundHunters
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby DunDealHoundHunters » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:34 am

That's a question that is asked a lot by guys. Personally that's your own call. Let your dogs tell u if it is too cold bybhow they act. We here in northern Wisconsin lots of days its well below zero without the wind chill. Coldest day is hunted and killed a Coyote was -25 air temperature and dog never hesitated but our dogs are bred for cold temperatures. Some say I'm nuts but if they wana go hunting I go.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:57 am

I think that anything below 50 degrees fahrenheit is way to cold. Not sure what the dogs limit are.
mondomuttruner
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby mondomuttruner » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:41 am

Only you Mark, only you..........
Hounder900

Postby Hounder900 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:19 pm

I worry a lot more about to hot then to cold. Seams like the dogs I run can't get enough of the cold. -15 degrees isn't in common. But anything above 80 and they start acting funny. They peter out faster and there heart isn't in it. But as far as the cold I would say your good at those temps. I have seen negative 44 once in your neck of the woods though. I might stay home if it got that cold. Ha
duck duck goose
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby duck duck goose » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:20 pm

What are the dogs used to seeing? If they are house dogs they aren't going to be acclimatized to the cold as well as an outdoor dog. The same can be said for southern dogs going up north. If they aren't used to seeing sub zero temps, the odds of it bothering them go up.

With that being said, I know guys in Alberta who regularly run at -20 without issue, but again the dogs are used to it.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:50 am

Has any one ever had a dog who lost the effectiveness of testicals or sagging nipples from freezing. ? I have seen them frozen so hard that I feared they would break off. In both cases, they were able to raise pups later. I was surprised by that.
Budd Denny
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Budd Denny » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:35 am

David, had some friends come run with me from New Hampshire. Cant remember the temps but pretty sure it was pushing the -30's, snow was crotch deep powder, Dougs male froze his balls almost solid, next day they were the size of Grapefruits and dang near black. He pumped the antibiotics to him and later raised a litter off him. I have seen my beagles freeze their nipples and undercarriage but they have always been fine after, I rub them down with bag balm.
........Budd Denny..........
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:30 pm

Likewise, when I saw this, appendages were dragging in snow, and probably not too far from -20.

Has any one seen parts feeze solid when they were NOT dragging in snow?

I have seen several barn cats who lost most of their ears due to freezing.
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby rockytrails » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:50 pm

When I walk outside and my nose hairs freeze it's almost too cold. That's about -10. Most cats will hole up during real cold spells. Don't know about too cold for the dogs nose.
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:49 pm

On them real cold days if no wind and sun is out dogs do just fine. Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:52 am

I had a female loose several nimples where they completely fell off at, running a lion at -30
Hydro1
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Hydro1 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:52 am

Had some issues with dogs not doing well any colder than minus 10 centigrade.
My current and only dog though does well between about 22 celcius and -20. He'll run in colder and warmer but I'd rather not risk it.
Tip of the penis, nipples, testicles, ears,paws all seem to have the most issues. I had a redbone a couple years back that got frostbite on his ears in -12 no wind. Seems like it's really dog dependant.
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
-Isaac Asimov-
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:10 pm

For me or the dogs. :lol:
For dogs it seems to be dependent on the dog. Those haired up half sheep dog looking ones are sleeping outside and raring to go at well below zero. Some light haired ones are picking their feet up looking froze at 20. In the winter I only see them come out of their house to eat, drink, take a crap and then they are right back in.

For me now, I'm not far from the truck heater past 30 :lol: We usually try to get it above zero or headed there for the dogs and us. If it's not windy maybe a little less. If those dogs get all wet and froze up make sure to bring them in to warm up and dry off before you tie them back up. Just be careful to not get them too used to the fire you won't hardly be able to get them back out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”