!!! The Ultimate Bobcat Dog...Part 1.5 !!!

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: !!! The Ultimate Bobcat Dog...Part 1.5 !!!

Postby Dan McDonough » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:47 pm

The only dog I have that does it regularly is Diesel. The tool he uses is a pair of old jeans. I save them up to use as sleeping pads in the dog crates in the house. He uses them to mop up the crap when he craps in the crate before I can get him out to potty. It's not the best example but he is definitely doing it on purpose and it is a smart thing.

Dogs aren't usually smart in that way and while it's not a useful talent for the field, it is something that I'm glade I did not overlook for what it's worth. These glimpses into a dogs intelligence don't always come in a way that is glamorous or expected. ;) Considering Diesel is a cross between a whippet and a jagdterrier I'll take it. No one has ever equated either breed with the level of intelligence displayed by border collies and the like so for me, it's a great thing to see.

I know that most folks would imagine a dog grabbing a long pole and dislodging a critter from a hard to reach hiding place so the dog could finish it. I'll let you all know when I see that trick.
I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:10 pm

Last edited by david on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:43 pm

I'll have to conceed on the tool use until I see more. Bedding habbits could very well be the cause intellectually. Poor Diesel, he was smart a minute ago. :D

I like that little guy and he's making a fine replacement for old Payton. Way better than I could have hoped for. I do wish he were a little bigger though. If one of these 3/4's works out well I'm sure I'll see what they can make. The sighthound crosses are really a lot of fun for the kids as well as me so whatever happens I'll have some around for a good long time.
I am.

merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:47 pm

David, The great thing about having my dogs indoors or freely outside indoors is I get to see some crazy stuff and that's one of the way's I choose a pup. I have one here right now we always Joke about if she grew thumbs we would be in trouble. Probably one of the best at figuring out things. Her Brain is always turning She will move furniture around to get her to places she shouldn't be. The list is long. Always grabbing objects to go into battle with the other dogs.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:38 pm

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Wait a minute. Or was she moving furniture (sticks) out of her way to get to the cat in the beaver den?

Not a tool.

Please specify. ;)
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:56 pm

Merlo, how is that dog bred?
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:35 am

You were correct with the ladder.
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Tanner Peyton » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:55 pm

I worked for a veterinarian who also had the pound where I was going to school. It was a pretty solid gig that gave me some spending money here and there. But it also gave me the opportunity to work with and observe mass amounts of different dogs, dog breeds and there behavior. What I'm about to say is me speaking merely in generalities so don't light me up with examples showing how I'm wrong. But the two breeds that were the real problem solvers, generally speaking, were the Border Collies and the German Shepard's. So much that if we had one come in whether it be a stray or in for doctoring I had a special escape proof kennel for them. They for the most part just tended to have the brains and desire to solve problems that would benefit there situation. Again I'm just saying as a tendency not a hard rule.
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:08 pm

Excellent experience in dog behavior. If I weren't so jaded about the role of "dog pounds" I would volunteer my time at one just to see what your seeing and to keep an eye out for the odd canine genius that happens along once in a while. Not like I have any extra time these days but once a week is always something I could figure out.

Now just imagine what happens when you cross a dog like a greyhound with supreme physical ability and power onto a border collie that has extreme agility, toughness and super brains! Add in the fact that nearly all of the brains go through into the cross bred pups. What kind of dog do you think you'd get? That's right! You get a 40 m.p.h. flying set of teeth guided by an Einstein-like missile system!!!

Since brains are the number one requirement, as stated by nearly all bobcat hunters, it's the obvious place to start if you were to develop THE ULTIMATE BOBCAT DOG. ;)
I am.

mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:07 pm

Dont forget to put a 40 mph nose into em. Unless of course your cats run straight lines down the interstate.
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:37 pm

They don't run tacks at 40. They do however run them at 9-15 and more sometimes, sight unseen. Get your Garmin out next time your dogs are moving a track like you like to see and check their speed. I think you'll be impressed. I would have never guessed until I started seeing it. It's a cut and slash style of tracking and the losses don't last long. It's pretty wooded here so I don't often get the chance to watch them come into a catch but the few times I did I was equally impressed. The over runs tend to get corrected at the same triple time speed they do everything else at. With a good sighthound, everything happens faster.

It's not the answer but it should be an ingredient.
I am.

twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby twist » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:13 pm

Brains are a big factor but without other key abilities you don't catch cats it has to be a fine mix of all. Give Einstein a basketball and Michael Jordon a basketball see who makes the most shots in one minute and with ease!!!! Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:31 am

Dan, FIND YOUR BREEDING INTERESTING. Have hard time seeing how a sight hound would work well in this area, you say it/s wooded where you hunt. How many bobcat on average do those sight hounds catch for you? I would think most any hound in running condition could run the wind out of a bobcat in a sight chase. As intelligent as some say curs are, would think no need for experimenting with sight hounds, but, to each their own. Good luck & I will continue to read your post. Thanks Al
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:28 am

A collie cross will NEVER be able to run 40 mph. Not a first cross anyhow. You'd be surprised at how fast some of the better running hounds can run. I can assure you they can outrun damn near any and all first cross I have ever seen. Maybe you should have just crossed a collie with a running hound and then went back to the running hound again.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”