!!! The Ultimate Bobcat Dog...Part 1.5 !!!

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: !!! The Ultimate Bobcat Dog...Part 1.5 !!!

Postby Goose » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:48 pm

If nothin else they should be some athletic looking boogers, I'm enjoying the progress on this project and the information your sharing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:30 am

http://www.doglistener.tv/2014/03/the-canine-brain/
Here's a little info on what each part of the brain controls to add to your earlier post about the frontal lobes and cerebellum...

Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:37 am

So what I've gathered from this so far is if it seems that cold trailing and grinding a tough track out are considered to be intelligence (theoretically) then a man should look for the males that stand out in this category for a stud dog and at how the males behind him performed in this area...

Here's a question for you seasoned cat hunters, on average what/which sex have you seen that just stood out as exceptional track dogs...

Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:25 am

Thanks for the link Goose. I'll check that out tonight.

I'm not sure if the genetic for tracking is from the male entirely. The level of ability, where it concerns memory would be from the mother. There's a little of both. I've been throwing this whole brain parts thing around in my head every day since I read it and it's a lot more complicated than it seems at first. What is talent without memory? what is memory without talent? we all know real greatness in bobcat dogs doesn't come from dogs with "some" of the talents they need, they have to have it all.

I'm going to try something with a couple of dogs that I know a fair bit about. At some point, I'm going to cross a male Leopard that is throwing great pups with a lot of smarts and easy handling with a very strong need to please to a female July hound that is very high in all of her talents but is pretty low in the "want to please" category. If it works, it should be a very good cross. The "want to please" should come out in the pups in a way that I am very familiar with from years with the same strain of Leopards. This should be proof of the way it all works.

The difficult thing here is that I'm not a research lab with financial backing. To really prove this out, the scientific part of my brain would like to prove the opposite by breeding a female with terrible memory to the same stud mentioned above and see what happens. I'm kind of restricted in that it doesn't make sense for me to produce dogs that I don't think will have a great chance at being useful. So, if anyone out there is willing to try and produce some real dummies, I'd be very interested in hearing about the outcomes of those crosses. ;)

To be honest, I have made a couple of crosses that didn't turn out well in the past and looking back on those crosses, I think I've seen what happens when the wrong female is paired up with a good male. I think this is the most common mistake in breeding, aside from accidental breedings and folks breeding Handy to Ready.

Something that helps keep me very curious is the information that came along a few years ago about someone having taken scrapings of blood from under the place where Jesus was said to have been crucified. The blood was sent to a lab with no explanation of it's possible identity and the results that were sent back were a little different than what would be normal. The DNA of that blood had been found to have the chromosomes from the mother but only the Y chromosome from the father. This isn't meant to say anything about dogs, it's just for interest. How that would be successfully accomplished is beyond my understanding of genetics but it goes to show, there's a lot to be learned yet.
I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:36 pm

If you can post some
Of the links to some of the stuff you've read, this interest me a great deal...

Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:07 pm

I haven't kept any links. I suppose I should have but as soon as the info is in my head I'm off to the next piece of research. I've got several friends that I'm researching with on different topics and I usually spend from 10 pm until 1-2 pm reading or watching the next video on a long list. I keep up but I'm never caught up. you would be surprised at where I've found some excellent information on breeding.

I'll give you one that will likely get you thinking I'm a loon if all you read/listen to is this. Check out the Lost Book of Enki, translated by Zachariah Sitchen. Not sure if I'm misspelling his last name or not. Anyhow, have fun trying to keep your brain following along on this stuff. The arrangement of the grammar is not the same as we use or even very close to Old English. I read it 4 times and listen to it being read in a YT video 5 times before I really felt like I had a good handle on it all. I could listen to it and read it 20 more times and learn something new each time. It's kind of like reading the bible. I would like to make my own version of it in modern English but I have not found the time and I would have to go over it about 40 times more and make notes. Anyhow, it has a big bunch of clues to how to breed things.

Warning, your going to learn more than you might be ready for if you dig into this one. Don't say I didn't tell you. ;)
I am.

Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:43 am

The memoirs and prophecies of an extra terrestrial god????

Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:58 pm

Pretty much. Most people are have a little to much programing to read that stuff. I did not read it out of interest in breeding, I read it out of curiosity but couldn't ignore the obvious old world knowledge of breeding. I probably learned as much about breeding in that one document as anywhere else. Dogs and humans don't differ much when it comes to breeding.

So far so good as it seems to all be panning out just like what is stated there. Can't have great without both sides of the breeding being tops though. You can get good...but rarely great. You don't have to know much about breeding to take a top male and breed it to a top female but the practices of the gods and royal families (to this day) favor half siblings with common fathers. Just because we're told that prince so and so is just a distant cousin of princess so and so, doesn't mean that is their actual relationship. Good family blood is power, and they don't want the sheeple building up strong families.

Well, most of us didn't know about this practice when we chose our brides but we can at least practice this with our dogs. You all can give this a shot in your family, but it's likely your current wife will protest, to say the least. :D

I didn't know about this during the 12 years that I spent working the heck out of the line of leopards I hunt but I practiced it, sort of by accident. It was just something I noticed over a few generations so I wasn't surprised to read about it in Enki's writings. It was just what was working because there was a fantastically well reproducing male and there were only two brothers alive. One was much better than the other in the breeding pen. One was passing deafness on and the other never made a deaf pup. That made it pretty simple but with only one male to choose from, my program ended up being like the breeding program of the gods and royals. by default.

I did quite a few inbred litters out of most of the sisters. The best litters came out of two females. One was the one I got from David Peightal's Rachel and the other was a sister named Siouxie. What I learned from all of that was that all of the sisters were capable of producing great dogs but only two of them produced very high percentages. I continue on with dogs out of those two females and basically have started the process over again.

The big difference between this time through and the first time through is that I have weeded through most of the females myself, so it will be quite a bit easier for me now. This running two packs of dogs and wrangling kids is hard on a guy though, I wouldn't recommend it.
I am.

Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:09 am

Just realized I haven't mentioned any actual dog work for quite some time so I thought it might be a good idea to report tonight's activities. I took Diesel (Whippet x Jagdterrier) and Sweetie (3/4 Stag, 1/4 BC) out for about an hour and a half before dark. I turned Diesel into a rabbit that hit the bush before he could see it. Diesel worked and worked but had a difficult lining the rabbit out. It was still pretty sunny, about 87 degrees and humid. He finally swung into the right direction and did get the rabbit moving. I let him run it for about ten minutes and then pulled him on a road crossing and gave him some water.

The next turnout was another rabbit sight unseen by Sweetie. She pronged around in the weeds and used her nose well. She got it moving but did not see it cutting across the short grass. She moved it across a road and ran it in the brush for about 7 minutes. When she came out to the road I hollered "Sweeite up" and she loaded into the truck box. I gave her some water and went on to the next spot.

On the way to the next spot we spotted a big bird that crouched down in some cut hay. I put Sweetie on a slip lead and walked her at the bird. She spotted it move as soon as I did and I slipped her to the bird. It went air born and she ran it an additional 400 yards or so. When she realized it wasn't coming back down she reversed course and came back nearly as fast as she left. back to the truck and more water.

We went on to the last spot hoping to jump a cat or fox near a pile of dead cattle but no luck. I'll bet if we go back there in the early morning we'll start something. It was to humid to be out in 80+ degrees but I didn't let things go on for to long and kept the water flowing. just a couple of trainees out having fun.

Tomorrow morning should be better. The dogs are handling better and better each time out. Diesel, Sweetie and Luna are my younger dogs. Diesel will run anything he pleases but likes cats the best, but Sweetie can be run custom to some small degree...got to love that BC influence. Oddly enough, Diesel hasn't ever run a deer. I can't really figure that one out because at the point he is in his training, I should have had to deer break him by now. I'm sure it's coming. I have to be careful with Sweetie around deer because she's not broke yet and she can catch them. So far so good with her yet. Again, any time now, I imagine, she's going to get on one. We have a junk load of fawns this year and they are going to get in the way soon enough.

Nothing in the way of cats today. I would imagine that they are all near the creek bottoms on some secret knob look out in the woods today. I ain't going in to where they are because I'm just not going to listen to a five year old girl get feasted on by the mosquitoes in there. Cool temps. are coming later this week though. :)
I am.

The red baron
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby The red baron » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:38 pm

"Power of the Pamphlet" . You simply download, read, then vote you can judge character just fine.
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:11 pm

It's more likely than not that he is right. He may not be talking about all elkhounds but if he says he saw one that he thinks is good I'll bet it's worth a try.
I am.

The red baron
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby The red baron » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:31 am

"Power of the Pamphlet" . You simply download, read, then vote you can judge character just fine.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:25 am

Last edited by david on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:16 pm

I am.

Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:29 pm

Nothing much to update. I'm back in training for the most part. I've got about 6 hours a day to myself, now that the littlest child is off to school. I've been working the dogs I have and doing the things I've been doing but nothing really new...just getting my dogs back in shape mostly.

My stag x mtn. cur pup has a name. I've been calling him The Finn. He's really likeable but he's a little bit of an airhead. It's not something I like to see but I'll raise him up and see if he changes some. He's going to have some size to him and he looks like he'll be strong. He "talks" to me and I think he might want to be a tree dog so there are some very good things going on there. I'm spending a bunch of time with him lately. He may be a good guess or who knows what.
I am.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”