Cold Trailing

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Cold Trailing

Postby david » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:21 am

al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:17 am

kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby kordog » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:16 am

mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:44 am

You guys are right,things are tough all over.
Anybody can grab any ol dog and go clean the woods out.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:28 pm

merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:11 pm

Mark, That was kinda contradicting. Can't catch what ain't there, Dogs can't catch what they can't start...You need to get up there and hunt with Rebel and Jimmy and see Duke and Sandy run. David, you getting Sonny out much? That dog cracked me up was like a Coke addict on Cat scent.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:09 pm

Al and Kordog, you are both invited to come to my place next season for however long you want. It wont cost you a dime once you get here everything is on me! Bring your dogs and we will hunt every place i hunt. Bring a camera cuz we dont kill cats and you may want to take some pics of all the different styles of dog boxes you will see. Neither one of you will have to work and we can watch tv if it rains and just hunt the good days so none of those excuses will work and you will be hunting cats that have had the shit dogged out of em. When you leave and you can look me in the eyes and tell me how thick the cats are and how easy they are to catch i will give you each a grand.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:08 pm

Mark thanks for the invite. Believe you misunderstood my post, know you have very good cat dogs . My point was some others may have good dogs also, however if one only has weekend s to hunt & hunting areas that are hunted all week days by hunters who are harvesting cats, could be very slim pickings even with the best of cold trailing hounds. I know there is not a cat behind every bush here in Oregon. I have hunted for hours myself had a ten minute race and thought , really like to hunt , however could have got skunked. That is why when guys tell me about those fox hunts makes me wish had some close to home, in safe area. I actually wish I could take you up on the invite, however believe it or not that would not be possible for me. Mark hard for me to travel, I have to hunt when I feel up to it. I do not try to hunt two days in a row, stay close to home, would not want to be a guest & wind up having to spend a couple days in bed. Not the way I thought retirement was going to be, however thankful, could be a lot worse. Al
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:32 pm

kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby kordog » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:13 pm

mark also thanks for the invite,but i have no interest in traveling at all.it just seems there is no room on this site sometimes for someone to talk without being talked down to instead of talked with ,and i think others would agree it gets a little old.i like reading experiences ,and hearing about cat hunting in other places .this site makes it possible.there is some good reads ,and information when you can get by some of the attitude.lol.my point is that the top bobcat hunter in the state of maine who travels all over the state to find cats caught about 26 cats with most all cats caught on the ground for the 6 week season this year hunting everyday ,but sundays.if we had a bigger population of cats you can guarantee this guy would be the one catching big numbers as thats what he lives for.i know from guys who talk on here that 26 is nothing for some of numbers there getting in areas they are hunting.when guys are killing 300 a year down in texas it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out there is more cat there then in maine.it would be neat to see how you guys that rig bobcats regurly would do rigging them here in maine ,as noone i know does it.my guess would be you would ride for nothing alot here because of the population,but i could be wrong.
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:18 pm

David, thanks for the update. Yeah he was for sure independent. He likes his dogs there is no doubt about that. But listening to that many on a jump or sitting down at a tree sure is some good music. Will be interesting to hear how he does on Coyote if you decide that's what your going to be doing with him. Thanks again
mondomuttruner
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby mondomuttruner » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:52 pm

Geez Mark, don't get your panties in a bunch..
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby twist » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:20 am

Conditions are all a huge part in catching what ever game one chooses to run with hounds. Weather, available road system, calibur of dog and last but not least amount of game you choose to chase. Any one of these will affect ones luck but when you start adding them together it just keeps keeps getting worse. Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
houndogger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby houndogger » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:47 am

If it's raining for the World Series I'll be down! How big is your tv?
If your going to find tracks you better make tracks!
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:25 am

No panties here Mondo,COMMANDO LOL
To bad Al and Kordog im sure we would have a blast! Was not my intent to "talk down" to anyone and didnt think i was. I started this thread stating that i feel my dogs are lacking in the cold trailing department. Never once talked them up or myself. Asked some blunt questions to see what other people thought and to get other people thinking (mainly guys just starting out) Sorry that i offended so many people. Good hunting and Good luck!

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”