Running Dog Men??

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Running Dog Men??

Postby david » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:40 am

I sure enjoy reading it. Ramble a little more often, Scrub.
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Goose » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:53 am

Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:56 am

[quote="scrubrunner"]Goose I've owned and been around a many a walker in my time, I can't recall one that wouldn't bay a live critter.
I cleaned these woods out around my house of some bad boar hogs with one ol Buzzard Wing walker male dog. There was a hog farm 1/4 mile south of my house, the gilts would come in season and the wild boars would come up there at night and try to tear into the pens. The owner would call me, I'd take ol Nook down there and put him on it and within a hour or so we'd have some tense moments. That is if ol Nook didn't come across a fresh bobcat track while trailing the hog.
But I don't think I have ever saw a walker dog that would bay a dead critter, I don't know how many deer I have killed dead and saw the dogs just sniff it, jump over it and go to hunting another one.[/

I've seen several that would run the wind outa one but as soon as they stopped to bay it was game over, you'd get a few bay barks then they were off to find something else to run...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:50 pm

Cant score if they are baying.

I 2nd the papers are pen breeding. Speed and drive dogs for the most part I believe.
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:40 pm

The stud trigg I was thinking about is now shooting blanks. I picked up his boy
He is 1.5 l will run his pants off this season and see if he is worthy
He has already been in on about five catches and 5 other kills he is picking loses and been to the front but is awfully green

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:46 pm

Bon Plott he is good looking! Let us know how he does!
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:40 pm

He is a good lookin dog. Cant expect much out of a dog his age. My buddy use to say at that age as long as they pleasantly surprise me now and then I'm happy.
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:58 pm

Bullet was killed in the line of duty today. Dropped him and Max, 4year old seasoned hound brother to the three legger, nearly 6 inches of fresh snow overnight. When I got under the Pines I confirmed which way he was going and max had him up shortly after. They came back to the road half a mile down and I put Rogue and Ranger ,two 6 month old fat plott pups,right on their heels. They get him stopped about a half hour later, after a little road running and what not. The youngsters get caught up, and all four dogs baying 150yards in. I figure it's over and gear up. Before I get over the bank, I see they are moving again. Coyote is in road sees me and runs into max and the pups. Well a little fanangling I pop him with 22. Only three dogs, bullet is "treed" not far from first Bayup . Box up the others and try to call him out. Walk in to find him bled out, one 1inch gash under the back of jaw towards his ear. R.I.P.

Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:52 am

Sorry to hear that. Dog gone...
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:04 am

Sorry to hear Bon Plott. It's a shame you didn't get a chance to see if he would be as good as he looked.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:41 pm

Am I missing something? Did the coyote lay him open that bad?
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Dan, that is the way I seen it. They had him stopped a couple of times, but I had lost communication for a while trying to get around, so not sure how long. With those pups in there Max was having a hard time holding him, big 45 plus male. Thinking about it all night, I wonder if he didn't get hooked by some razor wire, I am hunting military reserve and the area they came through is bad. My little cat dog spirit lost a hind toe when she was 8 months. I never thought to back track him to see when it started. Seemed like only one wound but figured yote maybe had some collar. I guess he could have run into some steel or wire and just weakened at the bay site ??? 4 dogs and the yote area was a mess, lot of blood. 30 years I have seen a couple dogs not recover from coyote fights but other than dogs that drowned they usually make it out. One of the worst was in a log with a yote, didn't know a dog had that much blood, he lived but never barked at a coyote again

Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Andyva » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:09 am

Sorry to hear.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:15 pm

Wow! That makes ya think. I have caught hundreds of coyotes and never ever seen that. That's wild bro. Damn the luck
cajunl
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby cajunl » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:46 pm

Carotid artery is there on a dog. It does not take much. Ive seen hog dogs get a puncture, no bigger than a pencil in that spot and not make it.

Sorry for your dog.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”