What is the difference between hunting bob cat lynx and or mountain loin

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

What is the difference between hunting bob cat lynx and or mountain loin

Postby Bear hounder » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:19 am

I'd like to hunt all three some day but lion is top of my list propley the last I'll get to hunt .their are some bobcats caught hear in snares but very rare and their is no season for them or lynx except in the northern part of ontario wich I'm looking into to see if I was singed up as a trap line helper up north if I could run hounds on that trap line their are plenty of large trap lines but how much ground would a lynx cover? how many hounds do you drop on a cat ?track or lynx track ? My hounds are bear dogs will they be able to do the job ? Thanks and keep looking up

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
funstuff
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: What is the difference between hunting bob cat lynx and or mountain loin

Postby funstuff » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:49 pm

In my experiences with lion and bobcat, never run Lynx, a bobcat dog has to have speed for pressure when the jump is made or speed to catch if the little bugger is running figure 8 on you. When it's treed a dog has to stay put and if a big tree has to locate that cat for you. They can be notoriously difficult to find in a giant spruce. And a brain, this dog has to think, evaluate, and execute!

A lion dog has to be fast enough to put enough pressure on a lion when it gets winded to put it up a tree. It also has to stay put to keep it up the tree. If a dog can catch a bobcat it can catch a lion.

Hopefully a northern neighbor can add about the Lynx.

Some bear dogs do make bobcat dogs. It depends on the dog, and the brain in the dog.

Good luck.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:17 pm

Unless its a nasty dryground track that wears everyone to the nub except the lion. In those cases alot of bobcat dogs give up or go sulk somewhere. Its very hard to get the two types of hunting in one dog. To catch bobcat here it needs a hair trigger and no hesitation running a track.
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:17 am

Lynx run very similar to bobcats. One difference they range over a lot longer territories than bobcats, Lynx with there big feet float on top of snow so if it gets into 3 to 4 feet of powder your going to be screwed to catch it
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:45 am

It depends on how you run your dogs on bears if you run only hot tracks or if you make them cold trail tracks. I would not turn more than 2 dogs loose on a Lynx on your first try. Most guys have certain dogs that on a screwed up bear race those certain dogs always seem to have it, those are the dogs that make cat dogs. You also need good tree locate dogs. If you got good country and good cat dogs and snow isn't more than 18" deep they can be caught easily but it's totally different ball game than bear hunting. You need speed but brains in the dogs is more important. If you got any bear dogs that got corner problems they definitely won't catch small cats.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:08 am

Thanks guys the only thing we have around hear that is small and furry to compare to are coons and fisher and any dog can run a coon but if seen some fisher run 4 or 5 km then when they tree they jump back and forth from tree to tree trying to loose the dogs . So will a lynx run diffrent in the fall with no snow than in the winter

dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:53 pm

A lot of guys claim it is much harder to catch a bare ground cat than a snow cat but that is not my experience once you get a cat jumped they pretty much run the same no matter the ground conditions all except powder snow over a foot deep bobcats generally climb quicker.
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:13 pm

A bobcat is hard to tree because of the lack of scent they give off ,the height they jump up a tree and because they cross and recross their own trail many times while being chased . They'll make the same circle numerous times and run up and down their track so many times that only the best of track dogs can keep the pressure on and make them climb or get caught.
I personally have seen dogs tree a cat after a fresh snow that couldn't tree a cat on bare ground to save their lives. I attribute that to the fact the scent is much stronger after a fresh fallen snow .
ridgerunners
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby ridgerunners » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:09 pm

Bludawg do you hunt on bare ground mainly? I agree with you about why them bobcats are hard to catch . When they backtrack they can be hell to catch for me out here in Colorado . Rocks and laid downs are another advantage they play on . I hunt on snow mainly shoot I live in ski country and I love hunting on snow . But I feel that you still got to have good hounds on fresh snow to catch . But for sure my best days are fresh powder days when the woods are clean .That might be my only advantage I have on them cats .Timothy Morgan
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:28 am

It sounds to me like these cats shure can take some hounds for a ride snow or no snow .so does it matter how cold it is ? I would asume a wet snow would be a help to hold sent in the track and would some of the smarter dogs starnt run atrack by sight even if they could not smell it ?
The other thing is can u bait to hunt lynx and bobcat or do you just drive until you find a track .like the fall when their isn't snow do your dogs strike the tracks from the box ?

1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:38 am

ridgerunners ,I hunt about 90% of the time on bare ground .
I should have said some cat are easier treed in snow ,for example when a cat runs down a black top or gravel road he can really slow or even throw the hounds by that trick. After a snow fall most good dogs won't miss a beat when he hits the road.
It takes a good dog(s) to tree cat consistently whether its dirt or snow.
Most of us road the dogs or rig them with rigging being the preferred method to strike a cat.
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:37 am

1bludawg, So you run bobcats that run roads after they are jumped? How far have you seen them run down a road? I have only once had a bobcat run a road more than 50 yards. Once had one where the dogs ran it 500 yards down a gravel road and it dove off and treed but am not sure that the dogs weren't winding it off the road bank, I was only seconds away from frying my dogs for running a coyote.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:07 pm

Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:01 pm

Ok so lynx will come to bait sweet I'm hoping I'll be able to get signed up on someone's trap line and then bait for lynx using rabbit guts and partridge wings moose guts moose hide beaver carceses then try to place baits in an area middle of rds so we could find a track maybe 1km from bait were lynx is walking alone without Mr fisher . Fox wolf ..... do you think that would work? the idea of the bait is to keep the lynx on the trap line

1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:26 pm

dhostetler,I use to wonder about that to so i've went back and measured the distance from the point the cat entered the road to the spot the dogs exited the road on his trail . Using my trucks odometer i've found some that went a half mile and i know they'll go further but since i didn't measure them i can't say with accuracy .
I believe the more educated the bobcat is the further he'll run the road and it saves their hides many times .

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”