What is the difference between hunting bob cat lynx and or mountain loin

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: What is the difference between hunting bob cat lynx and or mountain loin

Postby 1bludawg » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:55 am

2 maybe 3 years ago a friend wanted to go hunting and run a cat .With cats being a little scarce i told him i knew where a little runner was that we might get going.He just wanted a race so he was all for that.
We turned the dogs out at the crossing and didn't go a 100 yards and they were cold trailing this cat.They tracked over a hill and across a main road and started up a high mountain when they jumped her .They got up on her quick and she had to start circling and ducking and dodging but she continued to work her way up the mountain.
We had to drive several miles around to get above them but we beat them to the road on top.My buddy went out a side road while i stayed above them .Watching the Garmin i stopped where they were about to cross and the cat came running out in the road.She might have weighed 12 to 15 lbs.She immediately went into a slow,slow,slow walk.She walked up the edge of the road
just far enough out into it to avoid the grass,weeds and brush growing on the side of the road.
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:07 am

You guys got some good races you would probably be bored to death hunting my country. A really good race is a mile jump most are treed within 500 yards in my country, if I can keep them out of cliffs. In my country cat hunting is all about cold trailing. Spending 6 hours moving a track 5 miles for a 500 yard jump race to me is an ultimate cat race.
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:19 am

In a matter of seconds my Rogue dog came charging out into the road with the cat only yards from me and in no hurry .Rogue usually gets down the road and i was expecting some excitement when he saw the cat .To my dismay he runs out in the middle of the road and sticks his nose in the dirt as if he's wondering where the scent went ! I jumped out of the truck and started yelling at him,giving him a good cussing and telling him to pick his head up .He paid no attention to me and neither did the cat who was still moving slowly up the road .I thought what the hell ,i'll catch the cat and started running up the road after it . I was gaining ground when i heard Rogue let out a roar,the cat sure looked then and seeing Rogue coming at her she dived off the road .There's more to the story but we never caught that cat.
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:35 am

My point to that story was that cat knew exactly what she was doing and had probably done it several times.
She was leaving a minimum amount of scent and knew how to do it.She never panicked,just went about her intent to throw the dogs off .That's what makes cat hunting so much fun !
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:46 am

dhostetler ,my dogs can work cold,cold tracks but its sure nice to strike a hot one now and then .
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:22 am

1bludawg, thanks for taking the time to post that, I really enjoyed reading it. You should write a book of your experiences.
South Texan
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby South Texan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:47 am

[quote="1bludawg"]My point to that story was that cat knew exactly what she was doing and had probably done it several times.
She was leaving a minimum amount of scent and knew how to do it.She never panicked,just went about her intent to throw the dogs off .

Thanks for sharing that bludawg! You described well, one of the things an educated cat will do to throw the dogs off his trail to gain a little more lead on the dogs. Them smart cats are challenging but fun! When scenting conditions change for the better, it's fun watching these smart cats pull their tricks but they're (tricks) just not working. After a few of the tricks fell for the cat they start panicking and hurrying and that's their downfall. It's worth training them up in the hot summers months to finish them off in the better scenting winter months.
Good hunting to all.
Robbie
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:07 pm

This picture is a screen shot off a video of this cat doing exactly what Robin described above. He had done it several times before but this was his last. He ended up in a culvert about 200 yards up the road from where the picture was taken and got drug out before i could get the dogs stopped. My pickup was parked in the road just out of the picture on the right and the cat went between it and the grass along the road.
Attachments
IMG_0427.PNG
catdog360
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby catdog360 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:35 am

I love that some of you guys spend so much time and thought into what is happening. You can sure tell slot about guys and their dogs by really reading into what guys are saying. I think that made sense.

Mic
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:54 pm

Good to hear others have experienced these educated cats that at times make good hounds look foolish. How many of you have seen such a cat double back and tiptoe between two young hounds & those young hounds never knew the cat had passed within a few feet them.I witnessed that once.The pack treed that cat about an hour or so later, however that cat had eluded that same pack several times before. In my experience your catch percentage goes up on those type type cats after two to sixes inches of moist snow. Yes Mark most road running cats seem to tree near a road or get caught in a road. Al
funstuff
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby funstuff » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:33 am

I'm with dhostetler on this one. I don't have roads and catching them before the cliffs and rocks is the tough part.
Some of our cold trails take a good part of the day.
It would be fun to watch the cats run the road like that. I only get to see em on the opposite side of the valley on occasion with the dogs in hot pursuit.
Thanks for sharing the stories and info, it's interesting to hear how the cats run in the other parts of the country and what the different requirement for dog needs are.
Looking forward to 3 weeks from now.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:27 am

Ive been fotunant enough to be able to hunt cats in multible states and see cats hunted in several others with dogs. My opinion is they need lots of cover to really perform to their fullest. They also need some age on em so that they know every inch of there domain. Cats can be educated very easily but i have seen cats that i know have never heard a dog before run just as good as an educated one. Al, i have seen cats slip between dogs before and have seen them hunker until a dog actualy step on them. I have videos of both. A quick question for the long cold trailers: How often do your cold trails go from steady trailing to what seems like a 2-5 minute lose and the next time the dogs open they are jumped and running?
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:40 pm

Mark, I don't really know the answer to that as a lot of my cold trails are probably more like 2 to 5 minute stretches of no loses. In my country a cold trail that goes 30 minutes with out a lose will most likely be jumped pretty soon. I can't ever recall a 5 minute cold trail lose going directly to a jump. I agree with you that lots of cover like you have on the coast is what a bobcat needs for maximum effectiveness. I just can't see in my country a bobcat passing between 2 dogs only feet apart, we just don't have enough brush for that. The closest I have ever seen a bobcat in front of my dogs was 30 feet and that was a running cat that almost ran over me on the road and grabbed a tree 100 yards below the road.
oneguy828
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby oneguy828 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:08 am

I think something to take into consideration in cold trailing is type of habitat. I believe cats in eastern Oregon have a larger range than those in western Oregon(less brush-less game) That logic leads me to believe cold trailing makes up a bigger portion of the race. I haven't hunted everywhere but just my observations..
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:24 am

I have just noticed over the years that a lot of times when the dogs are trailing and moving and opening at a good consistent pace then go quiet all of a sudden,the next barks i hear they are jumped. Always wondered if the cat or nature does something just before a cat lays up????????? Kinda like when they hunker and have dogs running all around them and nobody is saying a word. Or when you see one cross the road and dogs dont open until they are off the road 50 yards or so. I dont know but i have thought about it a lot over time.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”