Running dogs locating

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Running dogs locating

Postby Bon Plott » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:21 pm

Don't cat population densities have to play a major role? If the truck is jumping cats out of the road you and you dump 10 hounds you should catch?
I may check 50 to 100miles of good cat country and not find a 25pounder for 3 days. Free casting to good swamps will produce a chase, but stretching a 14 pounder is not where I am at. Your percentages are similar, I think less than 10% tree,30% make it to the rocks, and20% have to pull dogs for restricted areas. Yes, large Tom's that hole on me are harvested by setting up on rock piles.
For argument sake, if only 5 out of 50 tree, who cares if your cross will locate and tree, the number is likely within the margin of error. Although our season is long with no bag limits, it overlaps deer season and is restricted by conditions. Can't burn your dogs feet of on crust. Glare ice will not stop a chase but will allow cat to much room . 20 good days a season is a lot. That being said a straight strictly catdog is impractical. These hounds must perform on bear and or coyote. Tree power for bear becomes high priority locating is seemingly simple. Our cats rarely tree in large evergreen stands, more likely a lone pine in a brush choked Creek bottom and often a 6 to10inch diameter elm. Slicks are rare as a dog that hangs up on a bald tree ( no foilage) don't last. In summary my tree dogs smash a pile of coyote,tree me a bear or two everyday I can get out,10 weekends per training season and catch me the cats worth catching. I do keep one or two off coyote so I can confidently cold trail and cast the cats.last but not least I will be crossing trig to my plott.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
oldvesper77
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby oldvesper77 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:37 pm

Bon Plott wrote:Don't cat population densities have to play a major role? If the truck is jumping cats out of the road you and you dump 10 hounds you should catch?
I may check 50 to 100miles of good cat country and not find a 25pounder for 3 days. Free casting to good swamps will produce a chase, but stretching a 14 pounder is not where I am at. Your percentages are similar, I think less than 10% tree,30% make it to the rocks, and20% have to pull dogs for restricted areas. Yes, large Tom's that hole on me are harvested by setting up on rock piles.
For argument sake, if only 5 out of 50 tree, who cares if your cross will locate and tree, the number is likely within the margin of error. Although our season is long with no bag limits, it overlaps deer season and is restricted by conditions. Can't burn your dogs feet of on crust. Glare ice will not stop a chase but will allow cat to much room . 20 good days a season is a lot. That being said a straight strictly catdog is impractical. These hounds must perform on bear and or coyote. Tree power for bear becomes high priority locating is seemingly simple. Our cats rarely tree in large evergreen stands, more likely a lone pine in a brush choked Creek bottom and often a 6 to10inch diameter elm. Slicks are rare as a dog that hangs up on a bald tree ( no foilage) don't last. In summary my tree dogs smash a pile of coyote,tree me a bear or two everyday I can get out,10 weekends per training season and catch me the cats worth catching. I do keep one or two off coyote so I can confidently cold trail and cast the cats.last but not least I will be crossing trig to my plott.

Why would 5 out of 50 tree? the others all caught on the ground?
out here we tree 45 out of the 50, and might catch the 5 on the ground.
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Bon Plott » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:05 pm

I wish I new the answer to that. I only run two dogs on a cat, and when caught these hounds are fighting, perhaps defending as they will have battle wounds. Smaller ones are often stretched.more than once at the base of a good tree. I think many of them think they can outrun the dogs to Their safety of a rockpile.anther theory perhaps farfetched sharing their habitat with a very dense coyote population they may be able to bluff a yote off a kill or stand their ground if confronted

merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:16 pm

ridgerunners wrote:
merlo_105 wrote:So out of 55 cats 5.5 are treed? And 18 being caught on the ground. So 23.5 of 55 cats are caught. That's less then 50%. Maybe your math is off. But for arguments sake for the topic. 50% is not suitable for me nor most guys with good cat hounds. Not saying I have good dogs. So a pack that average 50% where I come from is an average hunter with average dogs. Possibly all Blue ticks hahaha kidding guys. A cat in OR has the same lung capacity as a cat in Florida. So all cats should be equal in pursuit.
merlo_105 wrote:Or is the factor more the person with top dogs rather then the terrain? Some ones top dog might be a cull to one of us? And vise versa. How many Wisconsin, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, and South Dakota, Kansas, Nebraska Cat dogs see or are put down on a 50 to 100 tracks a year? I know them Texans and Virginia and Florida guys run a pile so they are put in the same boat as a lot of the NW guys who have CAT DOGS....

Merlo so with your pack of hounds you catch or tree 90 percent of what you turn out on ??? And what other states have you Bobcat hunted these hounds in ?
Ridgerunner, I don't know my percentage but they get lucky more often then not. Hunted WV and VA a few of the same dogs. Same percent catch ratio
perk
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby perk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:35 pm

Merlo, what part of Va were you hunting? just trying to get an idea of the terrain you were in, based on the area of Va
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:17 pm

Mostly in what you guys call the mountains lol. West and North West of Charlottesville. A lot on the West Virginia border. I did hunt South of Roanoke. But mostly stuck to the National forest...
oneguy828
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby oneguy828 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:13 pm

Didn't you just have tree dogs when you hunted back there merlo? You would say you haven't improved your catch % with more experience and other dogs??
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:47 pm

My catch percentage has improved but there still a bunch of Culls who just get lucky every now and again.
perk
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby perk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:45 pm

Merlo, did you ever take those dogs east of Charlottesville to the piedmont region or even farther to the tidewater region? Where it is thick, and the cats are found in the thick swamps and nasty cutovers not the mature timber of the natl forest? Just wondering if you hunted that part the state to compare your catch ratio
EGO is not your AMIGO
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Perk, I did not. I was invited to bring my dogs to Virginia and hunt a deer lease I'm not exactly sure where but I want to say it's more towards the coast then the mountains. Even maybe central but again I don't know. One thing that gets me is everyone says there region is the toughest because of this and that and these dogs work and those dogs don't. A cat can only run so much with pressure doesn't matter where your at so honestly how hard can it be for a dog to go from region to region? If anything I would say the running dogs would have a tougher time in the Pacific Northwest cause of the Giant trees then a tree hound would have in the tight brush... Always wondering stuff
perk
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby perk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:50 pm

Didn't say region was tougher, or running dogs would tree in tall NW timber. I have however ran different game in mature timber and in the cutovers, (rabbits, coons, deer, foxes to name a few)and it's turning a blind eye and being foolish to think that the thicker country doesn't make it harder to stay up on a piece of game and pressure it.
You might run a 6 minute mile in a path. But not when your being pulled down by brairs and brush. You can run faster when nothing is holding you back.
Common sense the thicker the terrain the advantage shifts more towards the game than it does in more open terrain. Esp for animals who dart duck dodge squat circle crawl run back over their track, etc
Again I'm not saying my area is toughest, that's for sure, and I'm not saying my dogs are best, or that other breeds styles won't work where mine work. And we have gotten off topic to boot, bc this is about locating...
Was just curious if those dogs did it all over the state or in one region.and you answered they did it in one region of a diverse state
Happy hunting
EGO is not your AMIGO
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:54 pm

I wasn't directing that second half to you. Just as a hole for everyone. Sorry about that
perk
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby perk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:02 am

10 4 merlo
EGO is not your AMIGO
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:47 am

So let me get this straight Perk. Youre telling me its easier for dogs to catch a cat in a 100 acre vacant parking lot than it would be for them to catch a cat in a 100 acre foam pit???????
perk
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby perk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:51 am

Paved parking lots present their own challenges
EGO is not your AMIGO

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”