Selling dogs

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Selling dogs

Postby dwalton » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:15 am

For sale finished bobcat dog has treed over 500 bobcats, 12+ years old blind in one eye and can't hear well. Has not been hunted in 4 years, top rig dog Female produces good pups, Broke in broke company I think. Might of been the pick of the litter.
I hate selling dogs but it has to be done at times to make room for pups which I love to work. I see or hear of many statements made on here about dogs for sale. I would like to only sell dogs that people come and hunt with me and see what the dog will do but that can not always be done. Some things that are said to sell dogs I question such as FINISHED dog for sale or wanted [ a dog is always a work in progress no better than what it is hunted with or by whom] PICK OF THE LITTER it seems that some people have several picks out of each litter [ I have never been able to tell the pick until a couple of years old, they all mature differently] BROKE I have never owned a dog that could not be talked into running trash at one time or another and I almost never have a trash race. Guaranteed to do what? { You better have this one down in writing} It seems this mean a lot of different things to different people. I recommend research who you are buying a dog or pup from, talk to someone that knows the person or /and dog then go hunt with the dog. I try to give a accurate description as to what a dog does for me and what I can do with the dog. What are your thoughts on buying and selling dogs and some of your experiences? Good hunting and good luck finding the dog that works for you and the way you hunt. Dewey
lionhunter78
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Selling dogs

Postby lionhunter78 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:31 am

Sounds like someone must had a miss interpretation of a hound they bought lol ID be more impressed if you said the dog was completely blind
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:54 pm

I told my kids I had learned a sure fire trick to keep from getting a speeding ticket for the rest of their lives: never drive over the speed limit.

Here is a sure fire trick to avoid head aches and heart aches and challenges associated with selling animals: never sell one.

And, for that matter, never give one away either. There are many problems with doing that also.

Unless you want to use these tricks just plan on head aches and heart aches and challenges. I always tell good houndsmen who ask me about it, that yes, they should sell good dogs and good pups as much as possible. For most people this is perhaps the only benefit that hounds might bring to the family of a houndsman. And I wish there could be some kind of felt benefit to every family member of every houndsman.

But I don't know how to avoid problems if you do it.

I only know of a very select few people who have made a pretty good living off of promoting and selling hounds. And there will always be people who will hate them, gossip about them, back stab them, and even harass them over dog deals or jealousy. So, obviously they had to have pretty thick skin to succeed at it.

But I think it might be profitable to anyone wishing to sell a dog to study the business plan and policies of people who have or have had repeat customers in the dog buying world.

I will mention one name that I think other successful promoters have studied closely and copied: John Wick.

A lot of negative has been said of him over the years, but in the end, it did not shut him down, and he sold dogs for good money to the same people over and over and over.

When I study people who seem to last in the world of promoting and selling dogs, it seems obvious to me that they have made a study of John Wick's policies and practices. (Or by some coincidence they ended up with similar practices)
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:08 pm

When i sell a dog i describe a dog in detail .
One man that bought several dogs from me said i over emphasized their faults but i didn't see it that way .
All you can do is be honest and don't pull some slick move to get a guys money .Its best if they hunt with you but if you let the dog out on trial for 14 days and they decide to return the dog but can't do it until the 15th day DON'T KEEP THE MAN'S MONEY ! and remember there are crooked buyers to but that's another story .
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:19 pm

One other thing,what one guy calls cold nosed ,blazing fast or great tree dog may not be the same way you see it.
When someone describes a dog to us we usually interpret that as to what our definition of those traits are.Quite often we'll find that our definitions of a good dog aren't the same
catdog360
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby catdog360 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:36 pm

:lol: You guys are way over analyzing this post
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:55 pm

Mic what do you think I was getting at by this post? Maybe you can help them out a little? Of course you may have a advantage because you have road thousands of miles with me hunting and having to put of with me. You know the dog that I posted and know that she will never be sold even though I have not hunted her for years. Good hunting Mic, Dewey
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:00 am

I thought he was at least semi-serious.lol
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:46 am

Last edited by david on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:48 am

pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:55 am

I recently heard of a deal in which one person agreed to Buy pups at a set price. Then gave the money to a third party who went and picked up the pups then delivered them.already we have several ways it could have gone bad. But then the seller called and told the buyer that since the pups he was to get already sold he had sent "pick of the litter" pups and the price was higher on those pups??? How is that not going to cause a disagreement? Honestly I feel way better buying or selling cattle or horses at auction. I don't even get the uneasy feeling at some auction I have never been. But dogs it's insane. like everyone says the words are the same but the meaning could be anywhere. Who wants to sell a dog someone isn't happy with that never looks good regardless of what the dog did for you and what about the buyer? I have recently had the experience of loaning out a whole pack of dogs at a time to my brother who had hunted with me for over a year. At the end of the week reports you learn quick no one sees the same thing and the words might mean something else to them. Then the dogs do act differently on top of it all. Its a wonder any dog deal ever works out.
And pick of the litter? That's something else who's pick? Why is it any different then the rest of the litter? That could go on for days. I don't really like hard headed dogs some guys can't work with a easy handling dog. I expect a free thinking dog but no always means no. Speed? Seems simple enough but apparently it's not. Some people think a dog darting around going no where is fast. Not the dog already over the ridge on track. At least show breeders have judges to mediate the various merits they assign dogs. Us, it's just our hope we see things close to how someone else does.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:28 pm

Well said pegleg but you have just hit the tip of the iceburg. Dewey
catdog360
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby catdog360 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Pegleg got it.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Its simple, if you are buying a dog go to where it is and hunt with it and its owner. If the dog suits you and your style of hunting buy it. If you dont have the time to do that you probably dont have the time to hunt it either. Even then when you get the dog home many dogs take some time to settle in and accept their new owner and kennel mates and surroundings. Some never do. Dogs that come from a person who has raised them from puppies and have really worked with them and spent countless hours hunting them seem to be one hunter dogs,not always but it happens. When a dog wont hunt for their new owner tjat is where a lot of the problems on dog sales start.
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:44 am

Mark you just hit the nail on the head!!!!!!! Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”