PRICING A HOUND ?

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
lionhunter78
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: PRICING A HOUND ?

Postby lionhunter78 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:40 pm

I've heard all about these good dogs or not so good dogs being sold for thousands of dollars, but I've been lucky I guess because I've had great mentors and really good friends, but I've gotten some great dogs for hardly nothing, but seen lesser quality hound sold for thousands of dollars. :D just figured of chime in on the subject with a different view
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:04 am

Not long after I got into hounds I spent $1800 on a West coast bobcat dog that ended up not being at all as advertised. As mentioned before I don't think the guy was purposely ripping me off he was selling a dog out of a pack and just didn't realize what he was selling. I had the dog less than a year before she was killed by wolves. She was finishing out to a nice dog had incredible bottom on a bear race but hadn't treed a bobcat yet before she died. I will not say who this guy was as he is dead now and was the from a family of one of the first original West coast hound hunters.
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tanner Peyton » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:12 pm

1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:41 pm

A couple of tips that will really help a novice bobcat hunter.
1.Learn all you can about bobcat habitat .
2. Get weaning pups from proven parents that tree cats.
It still won't be a sure thing but will up the odds in your favor.
barksalot
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby barksalot » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:25 pm

I fear that we are hijacking this topic. If so I apologize. My main problem is running everything, sometimes even a bobcat. After 50+ years with coon dogs I very quickly know when a dog starts something other than a coon, because I know a coon. With the dogs that I am bobcat hunting I seldom know what they are running until I see the critter. After dogs have had repeated long runs on junk tracks it is difficult to break them on the target game. If you sold me a broke bobcat dog, I would need to run him with unstarted pups, otherwise very soon he would be running anything that made a track. That is unless he was that rare individual that did only one thing, tree bobcats. And no one is selling that type of dog.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:06 am

Barksalot, I agree that this thread's been hijacked but about everything that can be said about pricing I think was said in about the first 10 post.
With the experience you have I'm sure you have good hounds so you don't need one of those rare individuals to start catching cats, all you need is 1 broke dog (a check dog)that will tell on the rest when it ain't right. Those are out there to be found a little easier then a do it all top knotch dog, even if it's a old dog that has little money value or has developed a bad habit that it's current owner doesn't have to put up with. Doesn't matter if it has the ability to ever catch a cat, it just needs to immediately let you know if it's trash so you can break what you've got. Then keep feeding them cat tracks, they'll eventually figure it out.
Now these are thoughts from a fox hunter who just occasionally hunt bobcats when the opportunity presents itself. Probably not worth much.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”