PRICING A HOUND ?

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: PRICING A HOUND ?

Postby Nolte » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:17 pm

Some good advice I received a long time ago was that hounds in general are a lost cause money wise. The best you can hope for is to recoup a few of your hobby costs by selling fur, a pup or hunt. Just accept the fact they are a money pit and the good they bring is the fun/experiences with having them.

I can think of a LOT better ways to make money than dabbling in hounds. If a guy a wanted to get a few bucks back in dogs in general it sure wouldn't be from hounds. Go get a few golden doodles and go that route for puppies. Or raise up some good bird dogs. You will be MILES ahead than going at it with hounds. :)
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Nolte, The older generation comment might have been a little broad. If all things about dog is true when buyer gets dog. It is easy enough for someone to ruin a good dog. A good dog brought into a poor pack with a bad handler does nothing for the dogs. If you or I was to bring in such hound we could benefit from that dog. Whether it was something the dog offered that our pack was weak at, or to train young dogs. Most people looking for a top dog look cause they do not have... Why would they need to look if they already had. Yes, not all cases. But if your starting out your looking for a good dog. If you been hunting 20 years and never had a good dog well then it's time to think what your doing wrong as a handler hunter... jmo... I'm retarded though so don't hate...
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby rockytrails » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Interesting topic. Having hounds means we commit to dog food, vet visits and gas to get to the field. These are all "A fact of life". The joy and experiences we have that most people never see are worth more than any of the costs. Any fur, pups or dogs we choose to sell could never pay for the value we have already gotten. I think the value of the dog should be based on what buyer is willing to pay. Seller doesn't have to sell for less than he wants. Supply and Demand should be deciding factor. Some dogs will never be sold even for 5 times the going rates. So what is their value? I don't know.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:47 pm

Nobody wants to buy a $500 dollar dog but stick a $3000 dollar price tag on it and they will beat the door down for it.
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:24 pm

David,I was referring to people in general that try to warn others.
Mark truer words were never spoken
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:29 pm

mark wrote:Nobody wants to buy a $500 dollar dog but stick a $3000 dollar price tag on it and they will beat the door down for it.

I'm sure there is a lot of truth to this but it has never and will never be the case for me. I was told when I was breeding and raising bulldogs (apbt) that if you consistently want to get good dogs without breeding them yourself to look at the dog of course but more important than that is the man standing behind the dog. That has become my golden rule.

Ive bought a lot of dogs and I have been burned more than once, but it is because I broke that golden rule and bought from somebody based solely on breeding or line, instead of buying based on the man who bred them. I've lucked out a couple of times too, and got good dogs but it is much more of a risk and I go into it with that in mind. Just my two cents. Happy hunting!
Clyde Lawson
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Clyde Lawson » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Nolte wrote:I could tell stories about guys selling dogs on trial and getting them back messed up. I was one of them once. So it can definitely swing both ways. My dog was a hard tree dog with his belly to the tree style. Buyer told me he wouldnt tree. He had holes like all dogs but treeing was his best attribute. Got him back and he wouldn't get within 30 yards of a bear tree the first time with me. Coaxed him in and once he got to the tree, lit bit up like always. The light bulb went on right then, the guy trialing had some tree fighters in his pack. So I lost him for 2 weeks and them took another 2 to straighten him out. Was gonna put him back up for sale when he got turned into road hamburger by a car. Figured out right then that selling dogs ain't my game.

So I guess my point is best way to buy a dog is to go hunt with it. If you like it buy it. You'll never get to test all situatuons anyway in a couple weeks. If you want it hunted in your area, then pay for the guys travel expenses. Now if you buy sight unseen by a guys word, well then either completely trust the guy or be prepared to get shafted. A guy once told me that buying dogs is a lesson just depends how expensive that lesson is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Agree with you.

Have some great Cat Houndsmen that will not price or offer their hounds for sale due to bad experiences. And, they have some great bobcat hounds. Most of these Gentlemen think highly of their hounds, are not hurting for money, and run bobcats for pure enjoyment. Number could care less about "counting numbers of cats killed", what the fur market is or going to be, or what someone will pay for their hound!

If they see you need some help with your pack and like plus trust you, will loan you or give you their good cat hound to assist.

Also, when a person comes to hunt & try a hound that I have for sale, I can evaluate him and what type of person my hound has to live with. On a few occasions, I have advised that hound for sale will not fit the buyers needs. Couple of times, I wished later that hound was not sold. Mainly due to conditions he had to live with new owner.

Enough said.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:23 pm

Clyde Lawson wrote:Couple of times, I wished later that hound was not sold. Mainly due to conditions he had to live with new owner.

Enough said.

Couple of times?

david wrote:
And I don't want to say this but if that man shows up on here again workiing the crowd, he is risking being exposed. I won't watch it any more.

You sir, are a predator.

Enough said.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:58 pm

Man took some time off to sell grade AAA hounds and come back to find the candy man being beaten and drug through the mud. I guess it's ok. Just leave the icecream guy alone it's to damn hot to be maiming him.
Anyone got a dog for sale??
catdog360
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby catdog360 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:09 pm

I'll buy one of your dogs for $500 Mark. :D :D
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:29 pm

Should have offered him icecream or a cold drink probably be willing then.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:24 pm

:roll: Probably want it delivered too. :beer
brian j cerelli
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby brian j cerelli » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:19 pm

mark wrote:Nobody wants to buy a $500 dollar dog but stick a $3000 dollar price tag on it and they will beat the door down for it.

couldn't be more true now a days...
catdog360
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby catdog360 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:07 pm

I'll buy you two beers if you deliver him Mark . Or I'll give ya $350 if I have to go get him.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:47 pm

If the dog aint worth a hundred mile drive to pick up, it aint worth owning lol. But if you decide to come get him give me a couple days notice to find him.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”