Squatting

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Squatting

Postby 1bludawg » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:42 pm

This reminds me of a little 40lb blue dog i owned named Penni .When my dogs were about to catch a cat the cat would start running tight little circles and then lay down (squat ).The other dogs would be searching like chickens with no heads but little Penni would go silent and start checking likely spots on the run .When she found the cat she would boooo ! and the race was on again.I liked that dog
lionhunter78
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby lionhunter78 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:47 am

Now this is a enjoy able thread lots of great experiences people shared cats doing this, I actually seen a really neat video of this happening to guy this summer. This cat was sitting right off the side of this intersection just squatting and dogs were hustling looking for this cat while it was just laying there chilling and finally if I remember correctly one dog bout ran it over when it finally jumped up , then the race was back . Hands down one of the neatest videos it was amazing he caught it on camera. Kinda comical
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:08 am

Shoot, I thought they all squatted like y'all describe. That's what makes running them so challenging. All the cat needs is one babbler or one dog to open on covered scent or the back track to pull the whirl wind going on around him/her away 50 yards or so (if that far) and cat will slip out of there, hit a road, go to trotting, never to be run again, that night anyway.
Nicole Stark
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Nicole Stark » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:40 am

Every time someone posts on this thread I get this highly amused look on my face. If I actually knew what it was like to hunt and have this type of stuff take place with cats, I think I'd write a children's short story series about this. A bit of a different spin on that poor Pepe le Pew cat.

Ya, I'm sure that's a totally girl thing to come up with on such a forum. No matter. I still think it would be tremendous fun to see this in person. People talk about dying sports, what better way to reach kids early on and expose them to the antics involved in a great cat chase. Besides the obvious of course...
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:32 am

I have a videos of a squatting cats,the problem with squaters is that it usually doesnt end well for them.
Nicole Stark
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Nicole Stark » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:05 pm

I guessed that was probably the case. Course, I image it'd be ok to omit that part of the story.

Where can I find a video of this? I don't even know why I am asking that, I just saw your regular old house cat do that to me when I pulled into my drive two nights ago. The fun part of that might have been if it had waited there behind the planter and raced out to trip me as I tried to get into the house. See, there you have it. I just made a story out of nothing LOL.
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:35 pm

I'm not a cat hunter at all other than sniping out the occasional stray Tom barn cat with my pellet rifle but find myself consumed in reading as much as I can about it and unless you've hunted hogs with dogs for any amount of time( primarily in the deep southeastern part of the US) then I don't expect y'all to believe this but a mature boar hog is so much like a bobcat that it's not funny and will throw all kinds of tricks at you to get the heat off of him, I've seen them squat as mentioned like cats on this thread, albeit they don't let the dogs gets as close before they move again, have had them on numerous numerous occasions find a group of sows and shoats and throw the dogs off on them, double back and run right down their track and veer off just before running into the dogs, run down wind and then suddenly turn back upwind and stick their nose in the air and kick it high gear( seen this when running silent dogs) and I know I'm going to create critics and skeptics with this last one but it is what it is and I know very well what my two eyes saw and I could careless what some may think or say but at the moment it happened it didn't occur to me what had just happened but I've seen them swim a Bayou or river and hunker down in the water with just their nose and the tips of their ears sticking out and the dogs search around like it vanished, the very first time I saw this I actually was walking in the waters edge and jumped the hog up out of the clump of hyacinth grass in the water he was hunkered down in, call it what you want but it happens, you would think as pungent and rank as some boars smell that a house dog could trail and run them with ease but it would shock you at the number of mature boars we've caught that didn't have the slightest stench to them, almost as if they were controlling their scent out put, I've read on this forum on numerous post about the theory of a cat being able to withhold their scent ( primarily their pheromones) and after reading this post and accounts I gave a little more thought into that theory and I know that dogs can sense when a human is afraid of them by the pheromones the person lets out and at times will act out with some aggression, then along comes another strange individual who isn't afraid of the dog and the dog never bat an eye or acknowledge that person presences, looking at it from my perspective all of the similar occurrences mentioned in this post all seem to have two things in common and that being 1.) the dogs seemed as if they had trouble smelling what should've been a very easy scent to pick up and
2.) it seems if those particular individual cats didn't have much fear of the dogs or hunters, and if we go back to the dogs being afraid to detect fear in a person just by the pheromones an individual releases without making any other gestures to evoke a reaction from the dog and another individual who has no fear of the dog doesn't evoke any type of response then why couldn't the same scenario be happening in the woods when these freak occurrences happen, I know that's a lot of useless rambling but at the moment I have nothing better to do (actually I do but other than hunting the next best thing is to read about it, and I don't feel like mowing the grass or other important stuff) but it's not out the realm of possibilities, and if anyone has anything to counter this particular theory of mine on this particular subject please do because oddly enough I enjoy being proved wrong, that's when we broaden our knowledge and actually learn something new instead of thinking we know something...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”