MN opening soon

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Redbarntrailhounds
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 100005260597923

MN opening soon

Postby Redbarntrailhounds » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:06 pm

Just curious if there are any other people out there that are anxiously awaiting our seasons start here in MN. I am optimistic with the lower harvest in the areas I hunt last year. I was able to find several cats last year when the weather was favorable. Hoping deer season pressure was felt by our wolves and they keep some distance between me and my two hounds.
Also feeling good as the county bought some more desirable land this year. I saw cat tracks entering one piece of previously leased hunting land everytime I checked for tracks last winter.
The dogs are ready for snow and I am excited to switch them off of coon for the year. Nescisary evil I guess. Thankful I am allowed to run them all year. That being said my old dog is slowing and I am debating going straight cat on his replacement. Anyone out there make a straight cat dog here?

Allen
Twopipe
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: MN opening soon

Postby Twopipe » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:51 pm

Are you hunting in Cass County? They are the only county I know of that is acquiring more land.
A good dog hunts wherever he's set down.
Redbarntrailhounds
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 100005260597923

Postby Redbarntrailhounds » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:42 pm

Yes, I hunt mostly in Cass and Wadena Counties. Are you hunting that area as well?

Thanks Allen
Northrunner
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Northrunner » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:49 am

Anyone thought about making a straight cat dog here?

As much as i would love to have a pack of straight cat dogs,In area I hunt I feel you would spend to much time and money trying to find a cat track each time you hunted, where's after cat season I can let dogs go from house or drive few minutes and have a yote or red fox race going shortly. Therefore my dogs are getting hunting and running a track more often instead of laying in the box for 200 miles waiting for me to find a track..
That is just ME, cat numbers are low here.
Good luck to you

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”