Lynx

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Lynx

Postby dwalton » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:35 am

I just got back from BC Canada lynx hunting. I have aways wanted to do that. Hunted 5 days, 4 with just our dogs from down here, We tried 5 lynx ,one every day. Allen and I both took nice toms. As soon as I get someone here that can post pictures I will put some on. I can finally take Lynx off my bucket list but will probably go back again. Details with pictures. Dewey
catdog360
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Lynx

Postby catdog360 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:23 am

I'll see if I can Dewey.
Attachments
10840.jpeg
Here you go
catdog360
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby catdog360 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:23 am

Number 2
Attachments
10842.jpeg
ridgerunners
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby ridgerunners » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:04 pm

OK DEWEY.. We need to hear the story's of the chase. Dogs ,snow ,terrain,etc.. We are waiting haha!!.... Timothy Morgan
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:49 pm

WE got of to the guides house on Tuesday afternoon he took us out with a couple of his dogs at his place, less than three hundred yards from his house we cut a lynx track. His dog tree it in short order then he jumped it out to work a young dog which did not work out as well. It seems that lynx that are hunted get to be hard to tree again. The next morning we headed up to camp about 21\2 hours north of where we were at. Lots of fresh snow from a foot to two foot deep. Most roads were not drivable unless the loggers had them plowed. We unloaded camping supplies and went out late afternoon to look things over. We just had our dogs for the rest of the hunt. They wanted to see our dogs working and to learn from as as they have only hunted hounds for four years. We cut a track of a nice tom and treed it shortly. My tag was punched. We treed two more before Allen punched his tag with a bigger tom them I had taken. We had great snow with a little fresh every night. Plenty of tracks but mostly females with kittens which we left alone. With the perfect conditions we had the tracks we hit were fresh with very little cold trailing and the cats seemed to tree very easy far easier than bobcats. We trailed one track that we did not jump not being able to listen to the dogs I am not sure what happened. With the small timber, heavy snow and the flat ground one could not hear a dog bark over 100 yards on a track. One had to rely completely on the Garmins. We were hunting in a area that had never been hunted for lynx with guides that wanted to see if it could be set up to guide and catch lynx. They seemed very easy to tree but very nervous in the small lodge pole and aspens. There was no problem finding cats or treeing them. It would of taken snow machines if roads were not plowed. The temperatures were from 28 to 5 below so not to cold. I could see that without good snow conditions [ deep or crusted ] it would of been a lot tougher. The guide new the area and got us on a lot of cat sign. Shane Wakelyn with Ambush Outfitters owns the allotment and Tom Griffith was the guide assistant that we hunted with and set up the hunt. All good people. They are thinking about guiding a few hunters next year and who knows just maybe I will be up there to give them a hand. Dewey
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Great looking cats Dewey. Sounds like it was a great time.
ridgerunners
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby ridgerunners » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:07 pm

Sounds fun ! Can you imagine the hound training you can get done in one season on a dog ! WOW .. Thats almost as good as coon hunting . Trailing and treeing one a day, that .would be so sweet.....Especially on cats .I will put this on my bucket list . Timothy Morgan
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:26 am

Sounds like a dream Dewey. Those cats look like some sort of elfish drawing form the books I read as a kid. What a treat that must have been.
I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:14 am

Sounds like you had fun. Thanks for sharing. Where at in BC were you at?
time2hunt

Postby time2hunt » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:16 pm

Name of guide service please [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE] Lynx is on the bucket list also. Great write up and congrats on a great hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
catdog360
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby catdog360 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:38 pm

Ambush outfitter
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby rockytrails » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:46 am

Thanks a lot Dewey. I've thought about bucket lists, but not much. Now I have one thing on mine. Congratulations on your hunt.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:08 am

Congratulations, one the cats, and on the check off of the bucket list!!

I know in Minnesota, cats that were nearly impossible for me to catch with my culls became VERY easy to catch in the right snow conditions, even with my culls. So this is the question in my mind about the Lynx you experienced. Were they easy because they are Lynx, or easy because you had the "catching snow"?

And I am thinking about their snowshoe feet. Maybe there is no such thing as "catching snow" for Lynx. ?
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:17 pm

I think they are easy to catch as most cats are. That said with conditions be it crusted snow, to many blow downs, to many bluffs, dry windy conditions or not having dogs that are truly not cat dogs any cat can be next to impossible to catch. The cats were not educated there, the snow was perfect, the country flat with little or no obstacles And the dogs were cat dogs. As with bobcats when the snow is crusted that a cat runs on top and the dogs fall through it would be tuff to tree one. Also with frozen snow with cats walling on top the scent condition are not good for the dogs. I feel the condition were perfect. I think that with strait cats dogs on bare ground would be good also. When one hunts cats you should set yourself up to be successful as far as the conditions,where you hunt and the dogs you hunt. Or you can just hunt because you enjoy being out there. Dewey
chilcotin hillbilly
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100003065741116

Postby chilcotin hillbilly » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:47 am

Dewey,
Your right about conditions. With the right conditions good cats dogs should smoke fresh tracks.

If you saw so much sign how many tracks did you try and the dogs not start. It sounds like you ran some pretty hot tracks. A lot of dogs that come up to hunt with me won't start a couple hour old track.

If you have real dry ground bobcat dogs you should catch quite a few lynx, if you have track straddling lion hounds you may as well stay home, the days aren't long enough to put any pressure on lynx.

At the end of the day they are cats, good dogs can strike them and catch them on dry ground.
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
Home of the Chilcotin Treeing Piss Hounds

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”