BobCat patterns on a Garmin?

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
VARMIT HUNTER
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

BobCat patterns on a Garmin?

Postby VARMIT HUNTER » Thu May 10, 2018 3:20 pm

I am primarily a coon hunter that trees a cat on occasion, Now when I retired from the Corps I had 1 -6 month old pup out of a line of dogs my brother and I have had for 20 years Curly is 1/4 Redbone x 1/2 English x 1/4 Trigg and is one heck of a Coon hound, then I met Mr Clyde Lawson who in my humble opinion has a fine pack of cat hounds, a man, I am proud to call a friend and got 2 pups from him Mabel and Judge they are 1/2 Leopard x 5/16 Bluetick x 3/16 Running Walker and I trained these dogs my self Curly is almost 8 Mabel and Judge just turned 7, these 3 dogs are the best dogs I have ever owned in my life, I bred Curly and Mabel 3 years ago and kept 3 of the 4 gyps in the litter and one of my primary hunting buddies kept the other gyp the males went to hog hunters mostly. The females we kept are exceptional has well. Sorry for rambling back to my original question, the other night I was hunting Judge, sandy and daisy near a flooded slough water was about calf deep, the dogs jumped this track red hot and scalded it for about 45 minutes and never got more than a 1/2 mile from me, made me start thinking they were running a grey fox, I was standing on an old RR bed sipping coffee well the dogs were coming right for me CARRYING THE MAIL I had my green lens on and this Cat came out on the RR bed came trotting toward me the dogs 30 yards behind and closing the cat jumped off the RR bed and about 10 minutes later they caught him on the ground . I have caught more coon on the ground with these dogs than any others I have ever owned and a few cats as well and treed a few cats here and there also, that 3/16 to 1/4 fox hound blood seems to work wonders on track speed, handling ability and sense, and does not seem to hurt the treeing instinct or cold trailing ability at all. I know some of you guys run Grey fox and Bobcats with the same dogs, what is the difference between a cat or fox race as it relates to how the tracks look on a Garmin ? THANKS IN ADVANCE
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: BobCat patterns on a Garmin?

Postby scrubrunner » Mon May 14, 2018 1:59 am

To me the pattern on the garmin look about the same, both try to do a lot in a small area. With my ol plugs the looses are more frequent and sometimes longer on a cat than a fox but with either it can sometimes take a while before they get back under it right again.
The dead give away to me in situation you described is calf deep water, cat loves that, have never in 50 years had a fox run in it.
That's in my neck of the woods with my dogs, may be different in other places or with better dogs.
VARMIT HUNTER
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby VARMIT HUNTER » Tue May 15, 2018 1:38 pm

Thanks scrub I kinda thought that but it never hurts to get other ideas or opinions from different parts of the country with different terrain, I have hunted quite a bit in South MS and Coastal NC terrain is pretty similar to yours. the terrain here varies quite a bit from river bottoms to rocky hills to tall grass prairie with scrub brush.
VARMIT HUNTER
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby VARMIT HUNTER » Tue May 15, 2018 1:41 pm

Hey scrub what kinda hounds do you run?
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Thu May 17, 2018 3:16 pm

Had a really good race a few months back that looked and lasted about a grey fox or bobcat race. Never crossed my mind it was anything else. After about an hour three half grown does walked out in the road. the Garmin map page looked just like cat or fox. These 50 acre cutovers have changed the deer races a bit down here in alouisiana. Wouldn't rely on a garmin to tell what you are running.
VARMIT HUNTER
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby VARMIT HUNTER » Thu May 17, 2018 5:54 pm

True on that always a good idea to try and get in position to see what your dogs are running, I try and usually succeed with breaking my dogs off deer as pups using old panty hose, frozen torsal glands and a solar fence charger let them break themselves around the barn.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Sat May 19, 2018 12:49 pm

True dat Mule-man, had nearly same thing happen to me recently, was running a cat, had been running it about a hour and saw it ahead of the dogs then about 45 minutes later a half grown deer crossed the road and my whole pack came out behind it. Don't know when the switch happened but they all felt the full wrath of of the training collars. Some Dogs 3-4 years old that had never run a deer before (that I know of). Have roaded em right past deer many times with no problem, well I've got problems now! I guess it's like I've read Southernfox say, if your not having problems your not running your dogs.
Varmit hunter, I run Walker fox hounds. Well now I guess I'm running dam walker deer hounds.
Last edited by scrubrunner on Sat May 19, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat May 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Scrub, every pack of dead broke dogs that I've been with have all had shocking collars around their neck and sometime during the hunt it was used. I was hunting with a fellow one night and my dogs really messed up. I looked at him very searousely and said they hadn't evey done that before. His reply, mister your dogs sure do learn quick.
VARMIT HUNTER
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby VARMIT HUNTER » Sat May 19, 2018 7:16 pm

I have had dogs out of certain breeds and lines that showed very little to no interest in a deer , and of the ones that do I have seen guys let them break themselves by running them with deer dogs where it is legal for about 2 weeks straight 6 days a week, many times they will go to treeing coon ,fox ,bear or cat in the day time and never run a deer again. Some breeds and lines seem to tree possum on occasion , while I have had a couple that showed no interest ever in a possum, a few that would but not many at that. I had one dog years ago that would only run coyotes gyps when they were in season. And not to kill them either. one night he caught one, he was love struck and she was saying no pretty strongly. LOL 10-11 months out of the year he was straight.
VARMIT HUNTER
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby VARMIT HUNTER » Sat May 19, 2018 7:20 pm

Scrub runner what strain or line are they, the big and tall rangy kind or the small leggy built for speed type?
VARMIT HUNTER
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby VARMIT HUNTER » Sat May 19, 2018 7:22 pm

Mule man what type of hounds do you run?
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat May 19, 2018 9:18 pm

I have running Walker and 3/4 running walker-1/4 beagle. When I coon hunted I used treeing Walker, red tick and Walker red tick crosses. I have never had to shock any to keep any off deer. After a few coons they just naturally quit. Not the case with running Walker. If you could have a couple of cat fights every time you went there would be a big difference
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Sat May 19, 2018 11:54 pm

Mine are all Chase registered, but mostly local breeding with some South Georgia liquor in some of them. I'd call them average sized 23"-24" shoulder height (just guessing haven't measured em). I'm running 6 right now with a couple of the older ones have never showed an interest in running a deer but they flat sure ran that one the other day. One of them that is usually leading or close to it came out 100 yds behind not opening but got the wrath anyway for following. Her and one of the others have always come to the truck before n tell on the others when they were messing up. Just got some work to do, I'll break from running deer or from running anything, we'll see which it is
VARMIT HUNTER
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby VARMIT HUNTER » Sun May 20, 2018 12:28 am

Go easy scrub never whip dogs or kids when you are mad, LOL Like on of my buddys use to say if one of his dogs ran a deer he wanted em to run it right and for them to run furry varmints the same way LOL
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Sun May 20, 2018 12:45 am

[quote="VARMIT HUNTER"]I have had dogs out of certain breeds and lines that showed very little to no interest in a deer , and of the ones that do I have seen guys let them break themselves by running them with deer dogs where it is legal for about 2 weeks straight 6 days a week, many times they will go to treeing coon ,fox ,bear or cat in the day time and never run a deer again.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> find that very interesting. All the dogs I have know that were allowed to run deer with other dogs were very hard to deer break. I have found if one keeps those young dogs in good company
they are much easier to trash break. Maybe I just had the wrong breed of dogs. Al

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”