Best way to rig on a suv

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Bluedog88
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Best way to rig on a suv

Postby Bluedog88 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:38 pm

I can't use the quarter windows. Thinking a strike hood or a dog box mounted on the hitch? Would it be better on the hood or down lower ? I could mount a rack on the front hitch low to the ground to.
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Best way to rig on a suv

Postby merlo_105 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Hood or top. Most times a dog will get as high as they can when being rigged
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Just do it where you can see the dogs, or at least parts of their bodies. (For safety reasons)

I have done it on top of a pickup canopy using a rubber stall mat purchased at a feed store. It worked excellent, but I could get no peace not being able to see them. I tried rigging up a mirror, but still could not see them at night.

The hood is really my all time favorite place because you can learn so much by watching every tiny signal from the dogs. Some places it is illegal though.

I used a hood rug. But after experiencing the rubber stall mat on top, I think I would try to come up with a way to use that on the hood.

(Just off the top of my head, I would put slices in it to thread webbing over the top of the rubber, and then span the hood on the under side, and close the hood on the webbing... or just use a couple small ratchet straps).

( For ties, I used leashes made of webbing passed down through a slice; under; and back up through 18” or so away, then back together to fasten the handle to the snap forming a triangle. the peak of the triangle is the snap for the dog. He can not move side to side;
And the only things touching the truck are rubber and fabric webbing.)
foxcat
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby foxcat » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:37 am

Up high or down low depends on what you're hunting. For fox I like the hood. Foxes run roads, and on the hood they can get there head pretty low to the ground. For bear, it doesn't really matter, but a lot of times up high works best because they wind the track coming off the hill. All my opinion of course.
Bluedog88
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Bluedog88 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:09 am

Thanks was thinking of a home made hood set up.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”