Starting a 13 week old Pup

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Rustyshaklferd
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Starting a 13 week old Pup

Postby Rustyshaklferd » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:46 pm

I agree with Dave and Justin. Oliver Hartley wrote a great old book called hunting dogs. His philosophy is to wait as well. I have only owned coon dogs before but everyone I kept was a great coon dog and didn't get pushed too early and also taught that they were not to mess with a barn cat. Or a chicken or whatever else I told them was "mine" and that's the command I would use. They would have "load up, heel, down and so on... know how to swim well etc. before being hunted. I had two dogs that when taken up north and then when the guys there.. neighbors....bear hunters.... and my dog would run around under my supervision on the farm they are all surprised saying " I never saw a Plott that wouldn't try to kill a cat". Well its because they never train one not to. The few times I hunted with them their dogs chased housecats occasionally. Its not a good reflection on hound hunters when a pack of hounds kills someone's cat in their yard or whatever and where I used to live especially I would have probably not have been able to hunt certain farms if that were the case. I know another guy up north and he has a pair of nice bobcat hounds and he wont run with the other guys dogs anymore because they joke the dogs aren't trashy they are GAMEY lol. They tree a lot of bear and run a lot of yote's and sometimes tree a bobcat but they also tree coons porky's and cats.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”