Oregon cats

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Bluedog88
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Oregon cats

Postby Bluedog88 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:02 am

Anyone have pictures or can tell me the difference? There a 3 subspecies,2 in central Oregon and one west over the cascades.
catdog360
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Oregon cats

Postby catdog360 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:45 am

It's just color.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Bluedog88
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Bluedog88 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:10 pm

Thanks. The 2 in central Oregon one is in the desert and rocks and the timber cat in the pines. Treed a bunch during pursuit season or they went down in the rocks haven't had the chance to shoot one yet.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:12 pm

FYI
An alleged coastal bobcat mating in WA and developed into a breed:

“Pixie-Bob History”

“The Pixie-Bob breed is believed to have started from the accidental mating of a bobcat and a barn cat in the state of Washington, which produced a female kitten named Pixie, owned by Carol Ann Brewer. Pixie became the foundation mother of the breed in 1985. (The breed’s bobcat ancestry has never been genetically proven, although it is widely believed among breeders.)”
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Bluedog88
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Bluedog88 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:16 pm

It's tough they get jumped run hard and forget where all their caves are occasionally.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:17 pm

The US forrest service recognize 12 species of bobcats for what it is worth. Some scientist feel that they are all the same with various looking bobcat that have adapted to the environment that they live in and the food source that they hunt. Bobcats that live in colder climates will have more fur, ones in wet climates usually have red hair with less under coat. I have seen bobcat just a few miles apart such as in the next drainage over a mountain be colored different. As far as how they are to hunt, cats that live in open rim rock country, big timber or heavy brush country will because of there environment will bring different requirement to how you hunt them and the type of dog that works best to hunt them. As far as different species, I think that only gives the environmentalist a reason to stop hunters and trappers from hunting. Dewey
catdog360
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby catdog360 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:24 pm

See David it's just color :beer
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:29 pm

:lol: you told on me. :lol: :lol:
That is what I was trying to say though.
You didn’t get that from my post?

I get a little tongue tied, as you know.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:07 pm

It's just color maybe or maybe not? I have seen cats caught in NE California that were dark with a brown belly well spotted that looked like a western coast cat and I have seen them from the coast range that look like a eastern Oregon cat. Most of the time bobcats will look alike from a same area. I have seen enough bobcats that I know there are always exceptions. Maybe it is because bobcats like wolves can travel a long ways. It is odd that the wolves that come across country to western Oregon pass up a lot better habitat with game to come over here in this brush country with little wintering range for deer or elk, all with tracking collars and tagged from the Imnaha pack which is causing most of the trouble by killing livestock over there. Maybe the wolves know to leave the country over there before they get shot or maybe not. Dewey

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”