barn cat's

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
grouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

barn cat's

Postby grouse » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:11 am

I have a two and a half old coonhound I was wanting to start on bobcats . I had one in a cage and she went crazy over . My question is if I get her started on bobcats will she be more likely to run barn cats .
Rick Brocious
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: barn cat's

Postby al baldwin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:23 am

Barn cats & bobcats, dogs have no problem telling the difference. If your female does not run barn cat now, doubt she will run them after starting her on bobs, if she does should be easy to correct & it will not stop her from running bobs Al
Last edited by al baldwin on Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
grouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby grouse » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:41 am

Thank's Mr . Baldwin for your reply . I was'nt sure and I hunt alot of farm land for coon but figured when the snow got deep I could run her on cats .
Rick Brocious
catdog360
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby catdog360 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:01 pm

They know the difference.
Foxhuntercrazy

Re: RE: Re: barn cat's

Postby Foxhuntercrazy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:40 am

dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:10 pm

All that you have with dogs is genetics and training. If you understand the dog and training you can have the dog doing whatever you want it to do. If you have a trashy dog that is either genetics or a training problem coming from a handler that is inexperienced or hunting with other trashy dogs. I feel most trashing is a handler problem by the handler. Some people hunt with there dogs not the dogs with them. That said some dogs are born to run trash because of there genetics which they have to be broke from off game. There are also dogs that are very trainable that hunt with you from the start that may get flighty on trash that respond to a tone or call off with no apparent correction that never run trash. If you have hard headed dog that ignores you or one that wants to please you you have to handle them totally different. Personally I will waste very little time on a dog that does not want to be a willing partner. Dewey
driftwood blue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby driftwood blue » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Dewey-- those are some real words of wisdom.
hope some folks pay attention to them.
Don
barksalot
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby barksalot » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:23 am

Dewey: Your last sentence in your last post says a ton; and I agree 100 percent. Today I had a pup with me while I cut brush and repaired fence. He was a pest trying to help me with what ever I was doing, but that is the kind of attitude that I want in a pup.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”