Bobcat/coyote

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Bluedog88
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Bobcat/coyote

Postby Bluedog88 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:44 pm

Not a lot of bobcat here but a ton of coyotes. I have 3 bobcat dogs. What about running coyotes with them?
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Bobcat/coyote

Postby david » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:29 pm

You live in one of the best bobcat hunting states in the nation.

If you only hunt snow, there are many snow hunters in the upper Midwest who run both coyote and bobcat with the same dogs. And they are able to catch some of both. I don’t know how much track switching happens because I have never done it.

But if you hunt without snow, you won’t know what is going on.

Every cat hunter i can think of that caught really large numbers of bobcats every year had their dogs broke off coyote. I know when I hunted western Oregon in the eighties getting my dogs to completely Quit Coyotes was the hardest bit of training I had to do. I would have choked on the thought of allowing them to run coyotes. I have since known some people who love running coyotes and are addicted to it. But they run where there is a pretty good grid of available roads.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:08 am

I have seen a lot of bobcat sign around most of the country this year and hardly any coyote sign on the west side. I know of one hunter that brought some Julys over to the west side and can't seem to be able to find one. Good luck with the coyotes. Dewey
Bluedog88
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Bluedog88 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:27 am

They usually piss on coyote tracks run them out 300 yards full open and come back. If I'm not in the snow I know it's a cat or lion won't touch a bear or coon track. It eastern Oregon mosty desert. For 1 cat track it's around 50 coyote.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:29 pm

Last edited by david on Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:56 pm

There are sight hound enthusiasts that would feel like they died and went to heaven if they could live where you live, and run coyotes and hare with sight hounds. And with them, you don’t need a grid of roads because it is bedlam for a couple minutes and either they caught him or they didn’t. And if they didn’t they come back.
Last edited by david on Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:00 pm

Check out Brett Vaughn’s channel on Monday nights. “Born 100 years too late”. He does a live stream Monday nights. He is a desert dweller and has experience with sight hounds and scent hounds. You can ask him your questions live if you want to.

https://youtu.be/VBj3jwQVC5Q

If you subscribe to his channel and hit the notification bell, and you are on your computer on Monday, you will get a notification when he is about to go live.

He would call coyotes in to his dogs. Even called a lion in once.
Bluedog88
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Bluedog88 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:01 pm

Thanks that's good advice. Last few years I've been trying to slow down and enjoy being out out in the woods bobcat or not.
Codyking

Postby Codyking » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:00 pm

Norman Davidson here in south Texas used to run both coyotes and bobcats with the same dogs. He caught a lot of both. A lot would probably depend on what kind of dogs you have but as Norman used to say. There’s good ones and bad ones in all breeds. Only bad thing was the other cat hunters couldn’t hunt with him because his dogs ran coyotes. He wasn’t one to hunt with other people much anyway.
Twopipe
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Twopipe » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:28 pm

A good dog hunts wherever he's set down.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:52 pm

Yes running both bobs & yotes with the same pack can be done my early mentors both did so here on the Oregon Coast. There was a lot more people who were hound friendly then, running yotes requires a much larger area & don/t know anyone who has that much area to hunt now. I hunted with Tommy Barnett when he was running bear, yotes & cats with the same pack, at one time I would guess he caught over 50% of the yotes his pack jumped. think most here will agree it takes a well conditioned pack to accomplish that here.
Not sure where that hunter hunted on the west side & could not find a yote to run,if one has dogs that can cold track at all,he could sure run some yotes most places I know of. But, sure the dogs would get into places where hunting is prohibited,likely to have trespass issues, traps, getters & snares to contend with, long walks into rough, road less terrain. Oh to be young again. Al
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:50 pm

If you want dogs to catch cats consistently in this area of the country they better be broke off yote!
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”