Luke 8:17

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Luke 8:17

Postby david » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:58 pm

This video fascinates me. I feel like I need more information.

The cat looks alert and in good shape. I don’t think I can remember ever seeing a cat GIVEN THIS MUCH SPACE and being held completely stationary with two dogs and without any backing. It’s like good sheep dogs, holding steady with their eyes or something without causing panic.

Any insights are welcome. I need some more detectives on this case. I’m ready to learn.

Unless there is something about this that can’t be seen, ive never seen more gifted bay dogs for a guide that needs the cat with shooting room and untouched by dogs. I’ve had dogs that could do it, but not with both of them that far away and nobody gaurding the back door. It amazes me.

I hear other dogs somewhere (truck?) so I don’t know what all went on here.

{Edited to remove video link}
Last edited by david on Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: A Bobcat Guide’s Bay dogs.

Postby lawdawgharris » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:16 pm

Obviously I'm not a cat hunter but I'm gonna tell ya what I see. It looks to me like the dogs are baying from the side of the thicker woods. The side of the cat opposite the dogs looks a lot more open. I would bet that they caught up before he could cross the more open real estate. He knows if he hits that open stuff with the dogs that close he is vulnerable. The dogs know he's stopped and has a decent place to make a stand. They obviously aren't rough in the sense of being catchy. With this mind set, they aren't putting any undo pressure on the cat to make him climb or run, but at the same time understand he can't chance crossing open ground where he would be defenseless. That's what I see. I've seen it quite a few times hog hunting. The dogs were fast track dogs but not much bite to them, but the hog was forced to take bay in order to have cover or because he was winded. I might be completely wrong here, I have been once before.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
john porter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby john porter » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:32 pm

David,
These dogs belong to a guy I know from downeast Maine. He always has some really nice dogs he runs every winter on cats.
Last edited by john porter on Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Porter's Plotts
Stumpmaker

Postby Stumpmaker » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:40 pm

Looks to me like he turned out on a cat that had already been caught!!! That’s why there’s a snare on it hind leg!! Hopefully he left it sense the trapper already caught it and didn’t steal it like so do.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:43 pm

That's exactly what I thought! I've never chased cats in his country but no way a bobcat here would stand there like that.
Stumpmaker

Postby Stumpmaker » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:55 pm

If you look at the end of the video you can see the wire move when the cat lifts up it hind leg! It happens all the time a hound hunter cuts a cat track in the road and turns out on it not knowing there’s a trap set not to far away! I hunt plotts and I have never seen too many that wouldn’t have killed that cat or at least gave it a hell of a try!
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:22 pm

I have seen bobcats being held at bay more than one time when the cat just sit like it was unconcerned. One that always sticks out in my mine was a bob lying on top of a bush about three foot high acting like it never had anything to worry about. Two dogs were standing back about 10 feet baying at that cat. I walked within 10 feet of the cat, kinda spooked me when I noticed the bob. I stood and observed wishing I had a camera, never carried one. This cat had covered a bunch of very rugged terrain and was a far ways from where the dogs started that cat. I had five dogs on the cat when the race started, only two had finished the race. I told those dogs lets go, dogs & I walked away as I glanced back several times the cat just appeared to be resting. However I was hunting those mixed up treeing walkers, so how could I have gotten so lucky? Al
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:33 pm

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:38 am

lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:39 am

I've had 2 dogs snared around the neck over the years while hog hunting. They weren't hurt because they were smart enough not to tighten it down and just sat and barked. I've never bayed a snared hog. That was something I didn't even consider. I guess because it was kinda portrayed like the dogs were responsible for him being there. Good eye guys, I told y'all I've been wrong before. This makes twice now lol.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:31 am

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:51 am

Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:04 pm

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:59 pm

Never had a dog neck snared, but all the dogs I chained out settled Down in about 5 min. Believe they would do the same in neck snare. Might chew their leg in leg snare.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:46 pm

Last edited by david on Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”