Chain training (continued)

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Chain training (continued)

Postby lawdawgharris » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:15 pm

Grumpy or not David, you make me laugh and you have some good insight. You'll stand up yourself and your beliefs, and that's getting to rare in our country! I appreciate that about you.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:09 pm

I dont know how i came across to cause anyone to think that i was saying chain breaking is a bad thing. Its how i keep my dogs all the time and have since the early 70’s. I guess my point was just because a dog is chain broke doesnt gaurantee the safety of a dog in a snare. Where i hunt we have a lot of small stemmed sticker briars stems the size of a good heavy leather boot lace. I know when i walk through them they are usually shin to knee high on me and you have to kick pretty hard to break them to keep from having them trip you on your lips. That would put them about neck high on a dog and if that dog stopped and didnt push on through them they wouldnt ever get more than 50 yards off the road. A chain broke dog most likely wont go into a body flipping tyrade but a well set snare will be damned tight on that dogs neck by the time it realizes something has ahold of it. The biggest saving grace of a snare is if a dog happens to get a front leg through it too. Have caught coon,coyote,cats, and fox that have had front legs in the loop with their neck and many of those were alive when i got there but not all of them. This is just my ,2 cents so do with it what you want
GCLeps
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby GCLeps » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:28 pm

I’ve had 2 leopards caught in snares both was chain broke. The female has been caught 6 times and the male 2 times. They was both very lucky and smart both dogs sat down and barked treed until i got there both dogs was trailing or running a track when they got caught. Both dogs was caught around the neck every time the second time the male was caught it just about choked him out by the time i got to him he couldn’t bark anymore. Just my thoughts chain broke and brains kept my dogs alive.
Home of Glade Creek Leopards
ALBA Hall of Fame/UKC Nite Ch.Glade Creek Newt
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:11 pm

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:41 pm

Last edited by david on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GCLeps
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby GCLeps » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:59 pm

No problem on editing my post if it helps you and other folks understand what I’m trying to say.

As far as common blood in Glade Creek dogs and Rachel I’m not sure. Maybe i could do some research on that.

I hunt the New River Gorge area a lot. This is some of the roughest country in my area. My dogs have treed several Bobcats in the New River Gorge area and alot of them bobcats take to the cliffs. I have a pair of dogs that will double team on these cliffs and hold a bobcat as the cat goes up the cliff face. One dog at top of cliff one dog at bottom this has happened 3 times its always the same dog at top of cliff and always same dog at bottom.
I have never harvested any these bobcats, i call the dog off the top of the cliff and watch the bobcat escape. Its quite amazing!
I hope you can make sense of my poor writing skills.
Home of Glade Creek Leopards
ALBA Hall of Fame/UKC Nite Ch.Glade Creek Newt
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:27 pm

mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:07 pm

David, i havent ran a bear since 1993 nor have my dogs. My biggest problem i have with the dogs i am hunting and breeding now is keeping the locate and tree in them for where i hunt,and we both know where the lack of that comes from. You must have my hunting style and dogs confused with someone else.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Last edited by david on Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 16 times in total.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:12 pm

This too shall pass.
Last edited by david on Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:28 pm

Here is my opinion for whats it worth. A lot of factors are brought to play when a dog is neck snared, the disposition of the dog[ if it fights a snare or not], if a dog has been chain broke, if it is a locking snare, if the snare is on a log and whats going on around the dog at the time it is snared. At one time I trap and snare broke my hounds for their safety. I have used snares around my sheep and goat pastures in the past for coyote control and have snared dogs some that were never been chained from around the neighborhood and never killed a dog. I am sure a dog can be killed by a snare but have never seen it happen. I have heard that it can.That said I would be surprised if anyone on has spent as much time in the woods hunting dogs or trapping as I have in the past. How many dogs have you seen killed by cars which is worst. Dewey
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:18 pm

To my knowledge have never had one of my dogs caught in a snare. Have had a few caught in # 3 steel traps & seen dogs owned by others caught in traps. Some dogs will eat u up, only way to get them out was to throw a coat over the mouth area, others were released by a little talking to settle them down. One of the best females I own that knew how to run a bobcat, stayed a couple days before I located her. Had been within 50 yards of her, called her & she did not let out a bark. Lucky, ran into the trapper on day three, took me to the trap. Took a real effort from both to release her, foot was really swollen, feared the worst, however with TLC she completely over came & treed more bobcats. That trap was the cast iron jaw type used be the government hunters.
Chain breaking sure will not hurt should a dog get in a snare, also can be a help other places. I know a local rancher who hates coyotes that will not allow a snare on his place, he is well aware snares value as predator control. But, says he has seen to many deer dead in snares, plus he owns several cow dogs. He loved it when I trapped coyotes on his place, said I caught more yotes than anyone who had trapped for him. My success had more to do with the fact I checked those traps every 48 hrs, set one trap for yotes and three more for the cows to throw. than trapping skills & I told him so. He ran 300 head of breeding cows,about 30 bulls plus all the calves on 2500 acres, half of that was brush & timber. Al
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:01 am

Had an uncle in North Mississippi that trapped most of his life. He carried a homemade neck penner to free dogs from his traps. One day he walked up on a big pointer bird dog caught in one of his steel traps. The dog appeared to be under no pain or stress just layin there wagging his tail with a look on his face saying , I’m glad to see you. Just like people on any other job, he though the dog was safe to handle and didn’t want to go get his penner. When he bent over the dog lunged and bit him in the face and neck before he knew what happened. Nearly killed him, stayed in hospital two weeks. Be careful when messing with an animal of any kind even if you raised it. Never mess with a sleeping dog, let him know you are there.
oneguy828
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby oneguy828 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:01 am

Sorry, I was grumpy.. :)
Codyking

Postby Codyking » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:30 pm

Some dogs are going to die either way. And putting dogs on a chain to help them survive this isn’t going to save every dog. But it will save some. Even if it just saves one. Old timer taught me that and I always listened. I credit it with saving one of my good dogs one time. Was roading them along and he got caught it one. I’ve often wondered what would have happened if it had been in the middle of a race though?

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Huntingâ€