Extremely hard toe pad

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Extremely hard toe pad

Postby al baldwin » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:14 pm

Rainy weather good day for this. Only have one dog can hunt, this fall noticed he had a extreme hard pad on a big toe on a rear foot. After trying numerous solutions to soften that toe pad with negative results, took him to my vet. I should not have been surprised, when vet told me without taking a 130.00 x ray he knew what the problem was. A bone infection , waste my money & put dog on antibiotic for 3 years or take the toe off at the first joint & the dog would be as good as new in about 30 days. That 30 time was up last Thursday and hunted him Friday without finding a track he could jump. Saturday, rainy but he got one jumped, pull him off after about 90 minutes, cat had him beat, figured he had worked enough, he was not happy with me at all. Roaded him about five mile today in the rain, no track. Believe he is going to be fine! Have never experienced this before, vet told me quite common in dogs, he had fixed a bunch of them. He said most common cause a broken or cracked toenail. Suggested if dog breaks a nail, treat with antibiotic to prevent infection from getting in the bone. Anyone else ever experienced this? Al
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Extremely hard toe pad

Postby macedonia mule man » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:32 am

Had a toe nail cutout just before it happened last year.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:44 am

An update to any who are interested has not gone as well as I hoped. After removing that toe, problem moved into a couple toes. I had planed to revisit vet, stopped on my way at a feed store, lady who runs the place happen to be three months away from being a graduated vet. She told me that was common after removing a dog/s toe, it all amounted to a circulation problem. Stated problem will sometimes go away after a year or so if one is lucky. Sold me a 9.00 jar of product that stated active ingredient was 97% Zinc, that was developed for horses & stated that was my best chance.
Now have to wonder if this zinc should have been tried before having the toe removed. But, was looking for quick fix & have a lot of respect for the vet who removed the toe. That zinc product is called Equine 3. Al
cajunl
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby cajunl » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:01 am

You sure its not cancer? How old is the dog?

Just went through the same thing last couple months. Dog looked to have a cracked toenail and put her on antibiotics. thought no big deal. Consistently was getting worse and not better. Toe was turning black and blue. Took her to the vet and x rays and the bone was mush. Cut it off and had it biopsied and it was cancer. Vet said it can and will move to other toes if all the cancer cells are not cut out. Pretty common in dogs. Squamous cell carcinoma is the most common.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:35 pm

Not sure of anything at this point. None of problem toes have ever turned black & blue, not shown any sign of swelling, just got very hard pads to point where they cracked open. At this time the Equine 3 rubbed in the pads twice a day has shown improvement. The dog will be 5 in August.
, Thanks for the information. Al
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:03 pm

Al, at one time in the South, there was a term( pad coat destimper) don’t know what it was or how it affected dogs. Anybody else ever heard of this?

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”