How to leave the tree..

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Northrunner
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

How to leave the tree..

Postby Northrunner » Wed May 27, 2020 6:17 pm

The hunt has ended, you leave the animal in the tree. You’re satisfied and ready to leave..
Seems basic but I am curious for opinions/thoughts . some call them off or tone and then the next guy will leash multiple dogs, walking them out of thick woods for quite some way at times..
Right or wrong, I’m currently walking away from the tree 50 yards or so and start calling them to me if they don’t listen, I may tone them but they then listen. Them knowing beforehand what comes after the tone if they don’t listen to me. After I Line out of there I expect them to follow within reasonable distance in front or behind me where I can see them.
Am I doing wrong ?
Am I taking what little tree my running/tree cross dogs have out of them?

I see houndsmen with dogs that have a very good handle on them, obey extremely well, but they still lead there dogs away from the tree.

Is this what you have to do when you have well bred true tree dogs ? Or maybe what I should do? Leash them and drag away from tree,no matter how broke the dog is, it literally has that much drive and desire to tree where it will not obey I am not familiar with.Some ppl would argue your dog ain’t broke then, so there we go round again.
Although I have owned about every color of purebred tree hound,I have not found any that have fit in with my pack or style yet. I’m sure there out there I just have not found it yet.
And when I find that cold nosed, track driving, big timber locating, stay put true tree dog it very well could be the difference between getting a look at the cat or wondering how he made the slip. Know I’m rambling abit, but I am honestly looking for opinions on how to properly leave the tree without risking having a negative effect on the dogs desire to tree.
Thanks for your reply
Last edited by Northrunner on Wed May 27, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pistol
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: How to properly leave the tree..

Postby pistol » Wed May 27, 2020 7:31 pm

I don’t believe there is a proper way to leave a tree. You should leave a tree the way you think or how you want leave a tree. There are to many variables and different styles of hunting. A guy that hunts 4-6 days a week will have a different style and tolerance for dogs than a guy who weekend warriors it and just wants to cram in as many hunts as he can in 2 days. Personally I can always call mine off a tree. Every now and then I might have to tone a dog or even some times leash one up. Kinda depends on how the hunt went. When I first started I dragged 6+ dogs off a tree with them dragging me back most the time. I hated it so I trained them to tone off a tree. I personally have never had a dog stop performance because of how I walk away from the tree. If you find this so called dog you are after are you buying him or raising him as a pup? If you “buy” this dog you are after ide probably just go the same route the previous owner went. If that previous owner walked him away with a leash then do the same. Maybe try the tone thing a couple times and see what happens. If you raise him from a pup then you should have the time to work him the way you want. I think most guys would agree though to never shock a dog at a tree. I’ve never seen anything good from that. Especially if that dog just did a bang up job getting something caught and just doesn’t want to leave. Just my opinion but like I said I believe there is no right or wrong way it’s just all personal preference on how you go about the way you want to hunt and train dogs.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: How to leave the tree..

Postby Beebout-it » Thu May 28, 2020 12:05 am

My mentor insisted on me being dragged through the woods on the way in and out of a tree by dogs on leashes and I hated it. Not only uncomfortable but in the rough rocky mountains its flat dangerous. Add in complete darkness and it could get worse. I have trained mine so I just say leave it and walk away...some are a bit more stubborn than others but 1 beep and away we go.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Thu May 28, 2020 12:43 am

The coon hunting I've done and even calling hog dogs off of a bay, to me, I make sure to do plenty of praising just like I did when I shot a coon out or when I catch a hog. I reassure them that that is what I wanted from them. After that I don't think there's much right or wrong, leading, toning, or calling them. As long as the dog understands they aren't being scolded or punished and that they did what they were supposed to I believe you're good.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Thu May 28, 2020 1:20 am

It depends on the dogs.I have had many(most) that I can call off the tree but have had a couple I had to lead all the way to the truck.i don't think toning will hurt them but I've never done it and probably never will.
Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu May 28, 2020 1:58 am

I have 6 fairly solid tree dogs. When we walk away from a tree there is no leashing or yelling. I calmly say WE ARE DONE and BACK TO THE TRUCK just loud enough for them to hear. anyone still at the tree when I’m 50 yards out gets a zap. They learn the system quick and learn to pay attention and listen when I speak. I’ve never seen it slow down or cut back any of there tree power but every strain of dogs is little different
"If you did not see it in the tree it did not happen" -Herb kennedy
Reuben

Postby Reuben » Sun May 31, 2020 1:47 pm

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”