Oregon houndsmen training help

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Pnwhunter
Facebook ID: 0

Oregon houndsmen training help

Postby Pnwhunter » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:49 pm

Hello my name's Brian im in oregon , recently moved back from Utah Idaho area.
Caught this hound bug really bad few years ago!
Due to having to put a dog down and what seems like one thing after another I still got the bug worse than ever !
I aquired a 3/4 TWC 1/4 July cat minded from a fellow member on bgh he's currently going on a year
Super nice , obidient , smart , tone broke , I've been roading him since 5-6 months while in Utah just conditioning him , haven't fooled with much other than obidience.
Currently can't take on a pup trainer and wanna give this pup every opportunity I can and want him too know and honor a pack and understand his place and I know he'd learn more from others than I could ever do him justice !
Yes bobcat are my main interest but honestly I just wanna get in woods and hear a race and enjoy him ! Maybe be able to use him to start some pups later when life allows me .
So looking for someone maybe willing to run this pup a little and get me pointed in right direction!
Whatever I can do to make this happen I'm too hooked to give up now ! At this point I'd run coons just to get in woods and enjoy this dog
I'm very skilled in trades so anything I could do to help someone out to make this a reality for me
I would really like to thank everyone that's been so helpful in past ,
Thank you for your time Brian
GreatBasin

Re: Oregon houndsmen training help

Postby GreatBasin » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:41 am

Go to snow country after a fresh snow, find a bobcat track. Keep your hound on a lead rope and start walking the track out when you think the track is smoking hot keep fallowing it for another mile or so. If you have a cat minded dog it will be making your hike miserable at this point turn it loose and see what happens. Your dog and you will get a good education. With great cat hounds the action will happen so fast your pup will not know what the heck just happened. Learn with your young dog pick up the looses and let it know when you do or it will be telling you here it is. If you marked your vehicle when the job,fun,energy or day is done hit locate starting point go to that location. Repeat as time and energy will allow.
Pnwhunter

Postby Pnwhunter » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:55 pm

Still hoping to find someone to train around NW Oregon , let me know cost even.
Thanks again !
Bluedog88
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Bluedog88 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:04 pm

in central Oregon. I don't know how much a trainer would help. but if you've never experienced a dog fire and instincts kick in you be surprised. a single dog on a cat makes them work especially a dog with grit.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”