Mountain Lion Foundation

houndnhorse
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Mountain Lion Foundation

Postby houndnhorse » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:11 pm

Well here is the Mountain Lion Foundation's take on the meeting in Las Vegas. Notice how they lump lion hunters in with the rest of those jacka**es. It is absolutley not true that the lion hunters of this state go along with Hunters Alert or it's baby organization the Alliance for Wildlife.

Cougar Comment Article

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cougar Comment is the editorial voice of the Mountain Lion Foundation.

Back to List of Articles
Date: 9/22/2010
Article Title: Nevada's Wildlife Range War is Heating Up
Media Source: Staff
Author: Tim Dunbar
There is a small range war waging over the fate of mountain lions in Nevada. The two feuding parties--The Nevada Department of Wildlife(NDOW), and the Commission which oversees them--are fighting over a very unlikely issue--how many mountain lions to kill.

It started when influential, special interest hunting groups petitioned the Nevada Board of Wildlife Commission to protect Nevada's deer herd from mountain lions so their members would have more deer to shoot. The Commission responded by ordering NDOW to implement a series of predator removal programs aimed directly at mountain lions.

They also formed a "Mule Deer Restoration Subcommittee" to provide a public platform for disgruntled deer hunters, open-range ranching interests, lion hunters, and ex-employees of USDA's Animal Damage Control to spout nonsense about how NDOW's biologists only had "book learning" and couldn't be expected to understand the complexities of habitat management and proper species (deer) restoration practices.

Arguing that the "science" didn't justify such draconian measures, NDOW refused to proceed with the Commission's plans thereby preventing USDA's Wildlife Services (the Federal agency which would have been contracted to shoot and trap Nevada's lions) from carrying out the Commissions orders.

Faced with what they see as an obstructionist Department, certain members of the Commission are now proposing to take control of Nevada's mountain lions out of NDOW's hands. At their September 24, 2010 meeting in Las Vegas, the Commission is expected to direct NDOW staff to cooperate in drafting new legislation to remove what little protection mountain lions currently receive as "Big Game" animals under a regulated hunting structure.

Based on the present makeup of the Commission, it is likely that such legislation will indeed be written. Let's hope that the enlightened citizens of Nevada see through this blatant act of cronyism towards certain hunting groups and push the Nevada State Legislature for sweeping committee representation reform so that this can never happen again!

Note: This same type of legislation was tried unsuccessfully a few years ago with Nevada Assembly bill 259, where at the same time bill proponents elected to also change the Department's name from "Wildlife" to "Game," thereby declaring to the world their overall bias against non-hunting concerns.
martindalehounds@yahoo.com
At least as good as I was yesterday
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Mountain Lion Foundation

Postby pegleg » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:25 pm

perhaps some contact info for the writer and his editor should be spread around so he can informed of some basic truths/facts. in a CIVIL manner.
savage
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby savage » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks Mike for posting this.I have a hard time going to there site to read due to thier agenda.Thanks for going in behind enemy lines LOL.

The thing said in this, that i dont get, is that they think we are in on the proposed slaughter of lions.This couldnt be farther from the truth. I want More lions to hunt AND more deer to feed them ...er ,uh......I mean hunt too. :lol: I believe other factors are effecting the mule deer more than predators.
"if you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck"

"just remember there's a lot of women out there but good dogs are hard to come by."

Paul
M Evertsen
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby M Evertsen » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:32 pm

WOW

Is all I can say. Typical of groups like that. They simply base everything on emotion, rather than facts that can readily be gathered. I guess they didn't notice that there have been very few positive comments ever made in their favor when it comes to lions, except for the voices from Hunters Alert and Alliance 4 Wildlife?

Marcial
The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi
Bdog
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bdog » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:34 pm

I sat in this meeting for 5 hours and listened to the crap that came out of the commissioner's pie holes. The only thing this commission is interested in is the eradication of all predators that could possible kill mule deer or sheep. They are not at all interested in hunters, houndsmen, game bioligists or studies that have been done by NDOW. They have one agenda and that is to kill every mountain lion in Nevada. I have never been to a meeting that was so one sided and unwilling to listen to any other viewpoints in my life. Sad day boys as these guys claim to be sportsman/hunters.

Bruce :agmnt :beer :oops: :evil: :roll: :joker

Return to “Nevada”