Help with Old Horn

super white hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Help with Old Horn

Postby super white hunter » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:12 pm

I was given my grandfathers old horn that has been sitting in a barn for about thirty years and I am wanting to refinish it. I was told the horn is around 50 years old Looks to be solid but is very rough and all the old varnish is chipping away was wondering if someone had any suggestions on what I should put on it to make it nice again. Hoping Mr. Stuckey sees this

Thanks
"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty". Thomas Jefferson
come-hunt
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 100001710204870

Re: Help with Old Horn

Postby come-hunt » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:48 pm

Get you a mason jar and put it in a brown paper sack, break it while in the bag with a hammer. Select you a piece of broken glass and start scrape'n, just a sliver at a time until it is smooth again. Do not drop it, these old horns get very brittle and will shatter.
Oh yeah! put on some safety glasses. A glass chip in the eye can cause some serious side effects. Personally, I would hang it up and leave it original, regardless of condition.
Don Stuckey
Last edited by come-hunt on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can make 'em go and I can make 'em Whoa !
God makes 'em do.
I'll take Jesus, you can have the field
super white hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby super white hunter » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:35 pm

I thought about leaving as is but decided to make it pretty again and then hang it on the wall. Hoping I don't regret it
"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty". Thomas Jefferson
bearsnva
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bearsnva » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:15 pm

It is your horn to do with as you please but I kind of feel the chips and dings your grandfather put on it while using it are what gives it it's character. Enjoy it regardless of how you do it.
super white hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby super white hunter » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:31 pm

I do agree with you but since he passed away it has been mistreated. he was known for making and keeping such things in super nice condition so I think he would want it to be presented properly.
I don't want to take the dings and marking away so much as to just give it a shine maybe so it looks good.
come-hunt
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 100001710204870

Postby come-hunt » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:39 pm

'nuff said, get your broken glass and start scraping. You'll be surprised what it will look like when finished I have a set of Buffalo (bison) horns that was killed in 1890's in Indian Territory (Oklahoma) that are as shiney now as when they were first scraped. They have a few worm holes due to the amateur mounting but other than that they look good.
P.S. I'll do it for you if you want to chance it.
Don
I can make 'em go and I can make 'em Whoa !
God makes 'em do.
I'll take Jesus, you can have the field

Return to “DIY (Do it Yourself)â€