Opinions on a hole dog

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Opinions on a hole dog

Postby hillbilly boy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:08 pm

So just out of curiosity what would a hole dog be for do you mean when they are dening or do you mean when they bay up some where you or the hounds can't get to them
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:35 pm

Generally its when your dogs run something to ground or into a hole they are unable to get into. You then send a hole dog in to either run it out or drag it out.
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:09 pm

Well I never heard of coyote hunters here have to use something like that but most of the ones that hunt them here call them but I have heard of dogs being used to find beaver and a dog was used to pull the beaver out of the den and I have seen coon go to ground when we were after them what would you all think for a job like that I was thinking maybe one of the small bull dogs or big terrier
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:03 am

One of the old trappers around here that gave me some pointers on how to catch game and not just set traps when I was a kid, had a old 1/2 bull terrier 1/4 jagd 1/4 jack Russell that he said would pull out badgers, coons, fox, coyotes, and Bobcats from dens. I never seen her in action but he never lied to me that I knew about, and she had tons of scars on her face from her ,encounters so I assume she was good at her job. It was a cool looking dog. Short, and maybe 20lbs, built just like a bull terrier except a little more slender, colored like a jagd except it had a white bearded muzzle and white legs to the knee, and a short docked tail.

Cameron
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:19 pm

Do you know if he was using dogs to run them to ground or was he tracking them to the den's also was he doing it in the winter for the fur or was it in the off season for vermin control the reason I ask is i thought coyote fox did not use den's in the winter time but I will be the first to admit I could be wrong
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:30 pm

He used it as a trap line dog, so it would track down game that had pulled trap stakes and drags, and a lot of times they would make it to their holes. He trapped year around for predation, and furs. He also had a pack of hound terrier crosses that he ran lion and bears with. In my part of the country(northern Utah) coyotes and fox use dens year around.

Cam
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:51 pm

Well I have been looking for a good trap line dog I could see how that kind of x could come in handy I am from S.E Kentucky so it mostly fur trapping with us and I am just learning so I could be wrong on the coyote and fox using them in the winter the only questions that come to my mind is do you know if the dog ever want to ground before the old man could get to him if so do you know how he keeped up with the dog did the dog always pull out the game or did he have to be dig out did the old man use a cut vest on the dog like the hog hunters use and did he kill when he pulled it out or just hold it

Return to “Coyote Hunting”